Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    I like the mitten hook method, but I often had difficultly getting my doors to overlap sufficiently to prevent wind gusts from getting in. After my recent addition of kam-snaps to my winter tarp doors, this is no longer a concern.

Attachment 172295
    That's interesting. I'd be afraid of messing up my tarp!

Do you even tie out the corners of your doors to anything? Or do the snaps keep everything tight enough it's not needed? I can't tell from your photo if you have a center stake you have your doors staked to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    I found this video while trying to decide on a winter tarp. There’s good info throughout, but the door management parts are from 6:07-6:51, and 10:36-17:17. When and if I ever make a decision on a winter tarp, this will be my starting point for door management.

https://youtu.be/uYkIgMKl_0M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I use a large shock cord loop larks headed to the door with a mitten hook on the end. The mitten hooks.get clipped to the corners when I want the doors closed. This let's me easily enter the tarp w/o having to bend down and unclip or undo a hard line from a stake. I just put my hands through the middle of the closed doors and push them aside, I can then simply step over the shock cord and walk in, or lift it up and duck under the shock cord as I enter. Then I don't have anything to re-tie , clip or mess with... The doors snap closed behind me. To keep the doors open, I do it like SteveE does as shown above, but usually keep the doors and cord on the inside so they don't interfere with the dual panel pulls on each side and give a cleaner look.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jedavisii View Post
    That's interesting. I'd be afraid of messing up my tarp!

Do you even tie out the corners of your doors to anything? Or do the snaps keep everything tight enough it's not needed? I can't tell from your photo if you have a center stake you have your doors staked to.
    No additional stakes beyond the 4 the tarp itself is staked out to. What you see hanging down in the middle of the pic is the suspension from my hammock. The snaps themselves are quite strong enough to keep the doors together on their own. I found it easiest to snap the doors together first and then stake the tarp out to achieve the optimum pitch angle on both sides.

I was a little nervous at first as well, so I opted to experiment on my ol' beater winter tarp. But since the process was so easy and it turned out so nice, I'll be upgrading my wife's tarp next (and potentially my HG dyneema one after that, though I haven't quite worked up the courage yet).
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Winter Tarp Door Management

I have been using Z-Line.. At the tarp end there is a mini ucr for adjustment and at the other end is a short length of shock cord with an eye tied in it and a Tato Gear Door Clip captured in the eye. I have found that I don't need too much shock cord so over time I have made it shorter and shorter.. The Door Clip can clip to the opposite doors at it's ground corner whether the doors are overlapped or pulled out into a vestibule, or the eye can go over the opposite stake. When pinned open the clip gets hooked on the side panel pull.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    At first I anchored the zing-it to the tarp corner D rings but found that the doors were not taut all the way up and rather saggy in the middle. Sliding the zing-it prusik down the corner guy line (Glowire) cured this, and I found that a simple 2-wrap prusik didn't move at all during the night.
    I've found that saggy middle can be remedied by using a wider/narrower footprint when pitching. Sometimes it helps to start with the doors closed in vestibule mode and them stake out the ground corners.. this takes the sag out of the doors.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 02-04-2019 at 07:18.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    I also use mitten hooks w/ shock cord, but also have a shock cord cinch lock on the cord to be able to adjust tension for use in any direction / distance.

This article shared above looks good as well. http://www.adventurealan.com/method-...ck-tarp-doors/

22042247_1851431354871161_2288528450794259956_o.jpg

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    My wife and I both have Hammock Gear cuben tarps with doors. I really like the way Frozen set his up in the video, both of us copied him and really like the setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2BbKGwPyc

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Hum...bird Pelican
    Insulation
    0-Wooki 20-Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I came up with a way to use the minimum amount of shockcord and have adjustable tension on some hardware-free 'toggles'. Basically I used a large knot that holds into a loop of zing-it. Everything's adjustable for different pitches. I've only used my new setup for about six nights, but it works perfectly. I recently made a thread about it:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mp-Lightweight
    Mosquitos suck and the wind blows!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm just gonna do this