Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 30*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Vogel State Park, GA

Taking the fam on a hammock camping trip to Vogel State Park in GA for spring break. Looking for any insider tips, tricks, must-sees, etc. Vogel is in the very top NE corner right near the NC border. Thanks!

We're all new-ish to elevated camping. We've done maybe a dozen trips or so. Looking more for location specific tips, not so much on the how to hammock camp tips (although I'm very open to suggestions).
    Last edited by Big Irish; 01-29-2019 at 12:06. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Big Irish View Post
    Taking the fam on a hammock camping trip to Vogel State Park in GA for spring break. Looking for any insider tips, tricks, must-sees, etc. Vogel is in the very top NE corner right near the NC border. Thanks!
    You don't say if you're hiking or not, but if you are, Vogel makes a great jumping off point. You can hike a loop easily on the Coosa Back Country Trail which starts and ends inside Vogel but loops around approximately 12 miles with lots of elevation gain and loss. It also has a spur called the Bear Hair Trail about 3 miles long.

Using the Coosa trail, you can easily hit Duncan Ridge trail, which puts you just a mile or two away from the AT. You can hike to Blood Mountain, hit the Freeman trail, or Slaughter Creek trail. Honestly, there are a LOT of connecting trails in there and how far you go is up to you and your willingness to walk. You're also just down the road from Neel Gap with the Mountain Crossings store and thru-hiker hangout.

Vogel is also close to Blairsville and relatively close to Blue Ridge. Blue Ridge is more touristy with restaurants and bars and shopping, but Blairsville has its share of things as well, including several wineries (actually quite a few around North Georgia). You aren't too far away from Dahlonega either, another touristy spot.

For a glimpse of the Coosa Trail, I'll modestly suggest my own video of a trip we made there last year:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIKK13Yeiy4

And for Slaughter Creek Trail, another video from this past weekend:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXlSTJ1_r1Y
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

I second the sugestion to check out Mountain Crossings Hiker Store. Also you will be close to Helen, GA which is a Bavarian Themed tourist destination if you are into that kind of thing. If you LOVE BBQ, be sure to check out Jim's Smokin' Que on Hwy 129 just a few miles north of Vogel. They are closed for winter, but open back up mid Feb. Best BBQ in this part of the state, IMHO.

Hammock
    10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies
    Vogel is an excellent spot for accessing the adjacent trail system in the national Forest. IDK how your family will be as far as trail legs, but if your group is up for moderate to moderately difficult hiking then the coosa and Duncan ridge trails are highly recommended, as well as what is IMO the better approach to Blood Mountain to the South.

As far as campsites, you can now book site specific if you're camping in the park proper, they have a dozen or so walk in "tent" sites that may make for good hang spots (they are marked with letters instead of numbers).

While I've used Vogel for excursions in this area previously, I've not used their designated camps- I always leg it into the NF boundary and find a spot there. Let us know if you think you'll be back country camping it or if you have an intended route, I can definitely give trail tips.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 30*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    You don't say if you're hiking or not...

For a glimpse of the Coosa Trail, I'll modestly suggest my own video of a trip we made there last year:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIKK13Yeiy4

And for Slaughter Creek Trail, another video from this past weekend:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXlSTJ1_r1Y
    SidneyHornblower, thank you. I didn't mention our hiking interests, but yes, we are going to do day hikes w Vogel as a "base camp" as it were. Great videos. Thank you for sharing those w me.
    Last edited by Big Irish; 01-29-2019 at 16:10.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 30*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    I second the sugestion to check out Mountain Crossings Hiker Store.. If you LOVE BBQ, be sure to check out Jim's Smokin' Que on Hwy 129 just a few miles north of Vogel.
    Thank you Inspetorguy. We'll check that out for sure. Being a Texas boy, I won't comment on what y'all call BBQ, but I appreciate a good sammich whether it be BBQ or not. Smoke and meat is smoke and meat.

Quote Originally Posted by GearJunkie_1307 View Post
    As far as campsites, you can now book site specific if you're camping in the park proper, they have a dozen or so walk in "tent" sites that may make for good hang spots (they are marked with letters instead of numbers).
    Thank you GearJunkie. Yes, we are essentially car camping. I've reserved a Lettered "tent" site that is walk in. We plan to do day hikes with Vogel as a sort of base camp. I'll be sure to give a bit of a trip report if we can hit any of the trails people may be interested in.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Irish View Post
    ...Vogel is in the very top NE corner right near the NC border...
    Um, I guess if you're from Texas it is. Vogel is more so in the NE quadrant of north Ga, about 20m from the NC border, 50m from SC. Now, Black Rock Mt St Park is just as you described.

Vogel is mostly very good for hanging, but like any managed campground, finding sets of trees in the right configuration can be a little dicey, especially when several of you are hanging. I don't think it will be a problem, though.

Should take the kids to Pappy's about 5m up (N) the main rd (19).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    The Coosa backcountry loop was my fist solo overnight trip!

Its not an easy trail. If you do it, I highly suggest you go counter-clock wise. If you go clock-wise you will encounter (in my opinion) one of the toughest climbs in Ga.

Its probably worth it to check out the AT and the Blood Mnt since you will be in the same area.

Its beautiful country. Enjoy!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 30*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Um, I guess if you're from Texas it is. Vogel is more so in the NE quadrant of north Ga, about 20m from the NC border...

Should take the kids to Pappy's about 5m up (N) the main rd (19).
    dakotaross, maybe it's because we are so spread out down here, but 20m from the boarder is on the border by our standards. I drive farther than that just to come to work each day. However, you're point is taken. I meant no disrespect to you fine GA folks and am really excited to see your state for the first time.

Also, what is Pappy's? A restaurant, tourist spot,?? Our kids are older teens but we all love a little distraction.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin 30*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks, blue. We are excited to see GA for the first time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast