Thread: New member

Hello

I am a beginner living in Tampa FL who is not yet field tested so at this point i am researching and purchasing the basics.

I was first thinking about hanging about a year ago when I saw a scout troop that had most of their scouts hanging.

I expect to go out in the next couple of months with my grandson who is a Webelos scout crossing over into boy scouts this May.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Welcome aboard. There is a depth of experience here that will steer you in the right direction. If I may suggest some videos, look up Shug on Youtube. He has a great series on all the basics. The book "The Ultimate Hang" by Derick Hanson is also a fantastic read and is available in paperback or kindle.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Welcome! Great suggestion on reading the Ultimate Hang, and you'll likely get a lot out of the website, too.

I'm assuming you were tenting when you saw the scouts hanging. Just remember there are 3 essential elements to both tents and hammocks, 1) shelter overhead, 2) insulation on top, and 3) insulation on bottom. There's a misconception that a sleeping bag insulates you all around because it goes all around you. But insulation requires space (loft) to insulate you, and when you're laying on it, there is no space. Sleeping pads serve to provide insulation first, as evidenced by many hard foam pads that are not so much fun to lay on. That's just camping 101, you can get the Hammock 101 from Derek.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

thank you I really appreciate the advice, I will read the Ultimate hang it sounds exactly like what I need, and the 3 essentials though not new information is right on point and the first time i had really thought about them in relation to hanging, I will definitely rethink using a sleeping bag.
    Last edited by ladusek; 01-29-2019 at 09:54. Reason: to add more

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Don't forget to check out the Hangout, Campouts and Trip Planning tab to see when a where people are "hanging out" near you. Its a great way to see and tryout gear before you open your wallet! The people a usually very friendly and eager to share their experiences with you.

I'll bolster advice already put forward:

-Buy "The Ultimate Hang" and/or check out Derek's web page of the same name. The book alone will save you time and money far beyond its purchase price.

-If you can find a local hang, go introduce yourself and ask to see someone's setup. I can almost bet you'll get your ear talked off and be drowned in information. Lots of us like to show off our equipment and will insist you try it out by lying down in it for a while.

-Click on the Shug Video series button on the main page of Hammock Forums. You'll never be the same afterwards.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts