11' Raven (DH)
    Tarp
    12' Batona (LLG)
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ (LLG)
    Suspension
    Whoopie/1.5 Spider

Overboard ?

Being quite new to hammock camping...and never having owned anything but synthetics before, I am curious if I'll be carrying unnecessary volume/weight and be too warm.

Last month, based on reviews, many from these forums, I placed an order w/ Loco Libre for a 20° Reaper and 20° Ghost pepper...both w/ 2oz. overstuff.

I live in Az and I won't be hammocking in snow, but it does hit 40's occasionally when I camp. Most of the time, 60-70F at night tho. I prefer Spring and Fall

I've seen videos (thx Shug) and read articles on how to vent an UQ so I'm not worried there.

I want 1 set and 1 set only (TQ/UQ) and am concerned that the TQ will cause me to sweat, wake up uncomfortable and the sweat will soak into the TQ. I prefer warmer over colder but don't want overkill either.

There is still time to adjust my order. Any advice is appreciated.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If I were getting one set of quilts I'd go with the 20's. It's easy to scoot the bottom quilt out of the way and the top quilt can be kicked to the bottom. In my opinion you bought not only top quality quilts but the correct temp ratings as well.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Are you saying you'll only be camping into the 40s coldest? If I were you, given the higher temps you say are more likely, I'd go with either a 10 degree cushion or overstuff, so a 30 degree set no overstuff, or 40 degree set with overstuff. I certainly would not get the 20 with overstuff.

I sleep cold, and usually I'm good with a 20-30 degree cushion without getting hot, but not when its in the 60s, when almost any amount of down is too much for me. Its why I use a synthetic TQ for summer.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11' Raven (DH)
    Tarp
    12' Batona (LLG)
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ (LLG)
    Suspension
    Whoopie/1.5 Spider
    Low 40's are the coldest I have camped. In the past, w/ synthetics, I noticed manufacturer's tend to overestimate comfort levels but the more I research...Loco Libre gear seems rated sparingly and is actually good to temps below rated.

We pack our fears...and sometimes, we purchase them.

I have a thermarest blanket that pulls many duties. Zips into it's own stuff sack. Has been a ground cover, pillow, early morning shoulder wrap, cushion to sit on. Suppose I could use that if it got too warm.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I agree with dakatoross. I think that Loco Libre is good to well below rated temps (at least for me). I've had my 20 degree Reaper down to around 0 with no problems. If your lowest temp is 40 degrees, you might have a little overkill. I don't know how well it would vent at 60-70 degrees. You might just be pulling it on and off all night.

I am a warm sleeper and I truly regret buying a 20 degree +2 overstuff topquilt (UGQ bandit). Its a great quilt but unusable to me until temps go well under 20 degrees or I just sweat all night long. So unless your a cold sleeper I would recommend changing the order for the top quilt.
    I personally dont mind having "too much quilt" under me but this top quilt is way too warm for anything but deep winter camping in my case.

Hammock
    11' Raven (DH)
    Tarp
    12' Batona (LLG)
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ (LLG)
    Suspension
    Whoopie/1.5 Spider
    Thank you all for the advice and insight. I sent George an email requesting they both be made in 30° instead of 20°. This way, I'm still covered for the coldest I'll see but won't roast (at least as much) when it's 50 or 60.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'd have to agree with the others that 20* with overstuff would be overkill for your climate. I'd say 30* with no overstuff or 40* with some overstuff would work out better for you. Good luck. You're going to love those Loco Libre quilts! George does great work.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I'll be the dissenting opinion. I'm a cold sleeper, and I have a Loco Libre Ghost Pepper 20* TQ with 2oz overstuff. I live in Florida. I like to be covered when I'm sleeping, mostly, because I'm just more comfortable that way. At HangCon last weekend the overnight temps were in the mid-40s, and I was VERY cozy in my TQ. I've camped a lot warmer, and I just kick my legs out if I overheat. I still usually drape the thing over my midsection.

Some will disagree, but I think the ONLY reason to get a higher-temp-rated quilt is to save weight or bulk or cost. If none of those are limiting factors, just get as low-temp-rated a quilt as you want, within reason.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    I agree with Snaps. I would also like to pose this...What will be the coldest that you'll sleep in five years from now ? The one quilt set idea is great but will you branch out and visit new places in the upcoming year or two ? Any higher elevation plans than from your norm ? I believe that George's quilts are very honest in their ratings and that rating would please most cold sleepers. I completely understand not wanting extra weight and bulk. What happens on a 40's night in a storm with a good breeze ? Will you always be dry and warm when you crawl into it ? I wouldn't want a 40°F quilt for that. Perhaps the 30°F would be better for you. I would personally stay with a 20°F overstuffed simply because I like a larger safety margin myself but that's me.

• + New Posts