Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

1st Bridge Hammock -- just because... sign of addiction... not sure why? :)

Thinking of adding Bridge Hammock to the mix of gathered end hammocks and quilts.
    Not sure why exactly, just looks cool, something different, something to try to see how I like it.

I'm 6'3' 195lbs and sleep either on my back or either side in gathered ends w/o issue.
    I want to try to bridge for side sleeping and see if it's "even better"

I've read a few threads on bridges and am thinking of Warbonnet... will have to do a bit more reading before pulling the trigger.
    I don't have others I've run into w/ bridges, so it looks like it will be a sight unseen purchase.
    Any thoughts of others to consider from your experience given my taller, trying-to-stay-slender build and liking a side-sleep, is appreciated.

Tarps - I've got a UGQ Winter Dream 12 w/ Internal - End Pole Mods, so am thinking it will provide enough room in the bridge w/ the pole mods... it's really quite luxurious

U Quilt - May check it out in the basement or quick outings trying to make a gathered end UQ 'work', if I like the bridge, would invest in Bridge UQs.

Thanks for listening... just rambling really..... I'd be interested in hearing your experiences and recommendations on what you've learned hanging in a bridge after coming from a gathered end.

HYOH !
    Mark

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I slept better in the flatter lay with zero chance of calf ridge. However I hated the additional weight, fiddliness and hanging "footprint". The gathered end just snugs into places easier, you can keep tarp tighter etc. Just a lot of "swinging" going on in a bridge. Plus if I'm solo and just hanging out under my tarp mostly then the gathered end, blackbird in particular is much more comfortable as a sitting "chair". Just my personal experience for my style of hanging. I'm a backpacker first, hanger second so I'm willing to sacrifice comfort in the hammock to other needs I find more important to my hike.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I have both a Warbonnet Ridge Runner and a Town's End Luxury. First off, I enjoy all of my hammocks, gathered end and bridges, but all for different reasons. The luxury bridge is the most comfortable for me, but also the heaviest set up. I can get in so many different sleep positions with it, though. The Ridge Runner set up is a little lighter, but can be a bit narrow for me when I flop around and get in a somewhat fetal position. A chameleon goes with me on most of my backpacking trips with more distance and I want to cut my base weight. Bill at Town's End will tell you to try the Ridge Runner first before investing in one of his bridges, but I don't really think that is necessary if you know what you want in a bridge. I've never seen a Jacks are Better bridge, but I have heard good things.

All that being said, I don't know that I have actually helped your decision. For me, the Luxury bridge is what the name says.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You are on the edge of what the Warbonnet Ridgerunner supports and many larger/wider guys have complained with shoulder squeeze. I personally love my RR and wouldn't leave home without it. For reference I'm 5'9" and weight 195.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Thinking of adding Bridge Hammock to the mix of gathered end hammocks and quilts.
    Not sure why exactly, just looks cool, something different, something to try to see how I like it.

I'm 6'3' 195lbs and sleep either on my back or either side in gathered ends w/o issue.
    I want to try to bridge for side sleeping and see if it's "even better"

I've read a few threads on bridges and am thinking of Warbonnet... will have to do a bit more reading before pulling the trigger.
    I don't have others I've run into w/ bridges, so it looks like it will be a sight unseen purchase.
    Any thoughts of others to consider from your experience given my taller, trying-to-stay-slender build and liking a side-sleep, is appreciated.

Tarps - I've got a UGQ Winter Dream 12 w/ Internal - End Pole Mods, so am thinking it will provide enough room in the bridge w/ the pole mods... it's really quite luxurious

U Quilt - May check it out in the basement or quick outings trying to make a gathered end UQ 'work', if I like the bridge, would invest in Bridge UQs.

Thanks for listening... just rambling really..... I'd be interested in hearing your experiences and recommendations on what you've learned hanging in a bridge after coming from a gathered end.

HYOH !
    Mark
    Hi Mark-

You got some pretty good responses thus far.
    You are correct that the winter dream with pole mods will do the job and while you likely won't get peak efficiency out of a standard quilt on a bridge... it can be done well enough.

So after that... it's your money and a free country so if you're feeling 'bridge curious' no reason not to give it a shot.

As others mentioned... you're 'about there' on the Ridgerunner in terms of fitting. Your weight is likely acceptable, but your height may be the issue as a side sleeper. Rolled webbing bridges tend to 'bite' on the edges so taller side sleepers can find that they end up with an uncomfortable knee on the edge of the bridge.

Everyone has a different budget as well. My bridges generally start at $300. https://thisgearsforyou.com/bridge-lineup/
    For some folks... that's what a good quilt, nice tarp, golf club, cheap gun, or name your hobby's expense of choice costs and not that big of a deal.
    For some folks... that's a ridiculous cost for a hammock.

Warbonnet is an established brand, with off the shelf options/accessories with a lower entry cost.
    Not that I encourage you to waste Brandon's money... but he is set up pretty well for the curious with a good return policy and short lead time.

Assuming money is not a deal breaker...Doesn't matter much to me who's stuff you buy, so long as you enjoy it and it does the job you want it to do.

The Bear Mountain Bridge is the original. It is a basic end bar bridge with rolled hem sides. The common DIY bridge (Bic/hiker Dad) is modeled after this style. This has a pretty deep fabric to bar ratio and is lovingly or angrily nicknamed 'the coffin' by some. It's a deeper bridge, with a flat lay. Many find it narrow, but some appreciate that it replicates that 'wrapped up' feeling people like from their gathered ends. T

The Ridgerunner is a variation on that theme, but what Brandon did was help pop you out of that deep bridge with a very low fabric to bar ratio at the head end. This creates a wider area at your shoulder and creates a bit of a bedspace that is unique. It's a bit like adding a foam wedge pillow used for sleep apnea treatment to a flat surface. It solves some problems, creates others... but it's a pretty good balance of bed space and shape for many sleepers.

My bridges are recessed bar designs. This keeps the flatness of the BMBH but offers you more shoulder/knee room for a given spreader bar size. I make several different models and my main goal is to solve problems that other models don't address. Besides the cost, in part that's why I suggest trying other items first. If it turns out you love the BMBH or the Ridgerunner.... great. You save a few bucks and it's easy to trick it out with a custom quilt. Both of those models offer integrated bug nets and I do not at this time... so you could easily spend $400 on my stuff getting a bridge and net. Both my main competitors have an established system that is flushed out and easy to hit the trail. My stuff is newer and I'm not yet a 'one stop shop' for a complete kit.

I build the lightest bridges in the world, the largest, the highest weight capacity, and have a few other tricks. Though you won't find it all in one model which is why I do different ones. The bedspace is large and very adjustable for those who cannot find comfort in any other way. In short... my stuff solves a problem you may not have and my typical customer is someone who hasn't had any luck elsewhere rather than a 'first timer'.

To me the compelling argument for the Ridgerunner is that is a great first timer hammock system as you can slot in a sleeping pad many already own, so the cost of entry is lower. Many folks just can't do a gathered end and find the inline sleep of a bridge a better solution to get off the ground. They may find it slots in better for a long distance hiking setup since it can work well with a pad. As mentioned... assuming you like it then you can build from there or readily return/resell it. It has name recognition and for a ground dweller coming over the the tree life; it's often an easier transition than a gathered end. If busting calf ridge or fiddling with an UQ are an issue... this is a good solution for many folks.

If you have other good systems: to Dvankirk's point... how would a bridge slot into your style?
    If the bridge tends to be a comfort choice for car camping or casual backpacking... then there is a compelling argument to spring for the most comfortable option knowing you are not really going to be ripping off miles or packing up this puppy for a light and fast overnighter. If you feel like you'd only reach for the bridge in these scenarios... then as he mentioned "The Luxury bridge is what the name says".

To alifeoutdoors point: I too don't like the fiddling of many hammock systems and worked hard to eliminate most of that. My bridges don't require a ridgeline but I use them to keep pitch consistent night after night. With my recessed bar design I am also able to keep the footprint of the bridge tighter. The Medium size fits under a 10' tarp, the Luxury/Big Guy under a 12' tarp. The Ridgerunner needs 14' or so which usually means some driplines on it and a bit of messing with the tarp. So a more compact package is one other difference that I too found a compelling problem to address when I began my bridge designs. My original micro (how I got into bridges) has a minimum pitch distance of 9'... and the 10' minimum of the Happy Medium is about on par with what you would need for a good 11' GE hammock. The Luxury size can easily pitch with about 12'6" minimum to give you just enough room to clear your tarp. The Ridgerunner usually works best with about 16' tree to tree but can be shoe horned into about 14'6".

I do have a few bridges approaching SUL territory, and a SUL trekking pole set to go with them. I'm creeping in with a few designs in testing that are getting these pretty close to a full bodied gathered end, including a 17 ounce Luxury prototype... I have a few in the 10 ounce range too. Each year I get a bit closer to reducing the 'penalty' for going with a bridge.

But at the end of the day a bridge is still heavier than a simple gathered end. I can use a gathered end for a quick weekend trip, and prefer them in deep winter as the open, flat bridge is harder to insulate as you approach zero degrees... I cut them off around 20* unless I'm on a casual trip. Too much effort.

Some folks find the spreader bars annoying to pack. While I include a loop for 'The Chair Trick' ... bridges are not the most comfortable seat available. You might need a bigger tarp, you might find it frustrating to 'relearn' how to hang a bridge as it's quite different than a gathered end. Most often I find that experienced gathered end users are the harder ones to get going as they have long established habits, carefully calibrated eyeball measurements, and a deep in their bones feel for how a 'hammock should hang'. Bridges are different. I think they are easier, many agree... but only once you get over that unlearning phase.

Ultimately... my 'best' customers are those who have a problem. Some of them fairly serious... Sleep apnea, joint pain, shoulder injuries, back problems... you name it.
    Whether it's a customer who was ready to swear off camping for good getting back to the woods. Someone managing chronic pain, or a person who's seen enough improvement to commit to hanging a bridge full time at home that ends up making life is just a little better ... that's why I do this.

Like any gear... there's always something new and exciting looking to sneak a little from your wallet; but that's your business not mine.
    So I usually say... if you don't have a problem then you don't need a solution.

But that said... as I get more opportunities to go to a group hang or work with 'normal' folks... it's really neat watching someone hop in one of my bridges and see that light bulb go off as they exclaim, 'OH.. I get this bridge thing now'.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

To alifeoutdoors point: I too don't like the fiddling of many hammock systems and worked hard to eliminate most of that. My bridges don't require a ridgeline but I use them to keep pitch consistent night after night. With my recessed bar design I am also able to keep the footprint of the bridge tighter. The Medium size fits under a 10' tarp, the Luxury/Big Guy under a 12' tarp. The Ridgerunner needs 14' or so which usually means some driplines on it and a bit of messing with the tarp. So a more compact package is one other difference that I too found a compelling problem to address when I began my bridge designs. My original micro (how I got into bridges) has a minimum pitch distance of 9'... and the 10' minimum of the Happy Medium is about on par with what you would need for a good 11' GE hammock. The Luxury size can easily pitch with about 12'6" minimum to give you just enough room to clear your tarp. The Ridgerunner usually works best with about 16' tree to tree but can be shoe horned into about 14'6".
    Yea, sorry, should have prefaced my comment with the disclosure that I only have experience with the WB Ridge Runner.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Yea, sorry, should have prefaced my comment with the disclosure that I only have experience with the WB Ridge Runner.
    No worries... I got started making speed hiking/FKT gear so I've looked pretty hard at all the negatives associated with bridges and hammocks in general. I took a few hard edges off those problems... but they still exist.

Mine are slowly heading your way and one of these days we'll run into each other at Da shack.
    I do this part time so more often than not I'm sewing on the weekend rather than getting out. Moved to Indiana as well so now I'm on 'the wrong side' of Chicago making swinging up to Wisconsin a bit harder.

Goobie has one of my newer UL prototypes and there a dozen or so floating around in the area.

A bridge can be a fun addition to the stable. I've had mine less than a year and I'm still learning about it. I'm glad I bought it, and glad I got it AFTER my gathered end hammocks. Read over Just Bill's introductory dissertation above. He's very, very knowledgeable about bridge hammocks and probably ought to write a book about them (hint hint).

My opinion would be if it's in the budget, and after researching a bit more, go ahead and grab a bridge to try. It's a different set of experiences and a lot of fun to fiddle with.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    My wife has a few of the problems discussed above and cannot sleep overnight in a GE hammock. A bridge is for her after trying out a Chrysalis Bridge hammock at the 4th Annual Florida Hang (now HangCon).

With your wanting a different experience, it is a helpful trait to have rather than a medical one. I would suggest to go to some group hangs and try a few to see which ones you would want to have more experience with. Then go for it. You can't have too many hammocks, can you? I've always found that "just one more" is about the right amount of hammocks to own.

To Just Bill, come down to one of those group hangs I mentioned. Next year at HangCon 2020, you would be a hit having 200+ hangers of all sizes checking out your wares.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    Just to complicate an already complicated situation, JRB is working on an Ultra Light version of the Bear Mountain Bridge hammock that should be available one of these months.

I bought the current BMBH earlier this month and find it VERY low fiddle. I love it. It's about 9'4" between the rings which attach to the suspension, so whatever tarp you have will probably work. The only issue I am having is spreader bar clearance with the sides of the tarp. I am playing with various exterior and interior pole mods to accommodate the spreader bars.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast