Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Poles Too Long or Too Short - Tarp Stretch

I was posting on another thread about an issue I've been having with my new SLD Winter Haven tarp. I opted for a material that has a fair bit of stretch (Hex70 XL) so when I first set up my internal pole kit, the tarp is too taught for the poles which means the poles are way too tight for the tarp (the poles create an s bend when I stick the ends in the tarp).

tarp_1.jpg

Once the tarp stretches the poles fit great and that S shape is completely gone. Now I've noticed there are varying levels of stretch depending on the wetness of the tarp and the time of year (i.e. I didn't find any stretch at all when I had it set up in below freezing temps).

I made a little DIY attachment that I'm hoping will solve this issue and give me some flexibility. I added about 5 inches of webbing and put 5 grommets in each strip. I then attached the webbing to the ends of the tarp, below the pole sleeve. I'm hoping that this will allow me to move the pole in or out in order to tighten or loosen the pole against the tarp, as the tarp stretches or contracts.... I haven't had a chance to test it yet but I will report back once I do. One thing I've noticed right away is that the end of the pole is a bit too small for the grommet. I'm hoping the tension of the tarp will keep the tips from poking through the grommet completely...otherwise I'd have to add a little washer or something...

fix.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Great solution, and equally great execution, SteveE! I would think the intersection angle and tarp tension would keep the poles in place, but field experience will tell you more than I could guess at.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I was reading your original post with great interest. Do you feel the pole length issue is strictly because of your material choice? I was looking at the Winter Haven in SilPoly and wanted to do the pole mods but am concerned about all the fiddling and lenght adjustments that might be needed to make it work. As I keep saying, my DIY skills are sorely lacking.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    I was reading your original post with great interest. Do you feel the pole length issue is strictly because of your material choice? I was looking at the Winter Haven in SilPoly and wanted to do the pole mods but am concerned about all the fiddling and lenght adjustments that might be needed to make it work. As I keep saying, my DIY skills are sorely lacking.
    I honestly am not sure...My tarp is PU Nylon so I knew there would be a bit of stretch and certainly more than a poly tarp...but there is obviously a fair bit of stretch in this material. It's also an XL tarp so there's that much more material to stretch. It's amazing how the poles can seem so much too long and then once it stretches they fit perfectly. It certainly is frustrating but I haven't heard of others with this issue so I'm assuming it's because of the material I chose for my tarp. I'm hopeful my solution will work in my case because it really is a pain and it's almost rendering the poles not usable. I'm not super good at DIY stuff either but this solution was super easy and only cost me about $7 and took about 20 minutes in total.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I took my SLD tarp out last weekend. I replaced sections that added about 3" to the original poles. PERFECT!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    That DOES look perfect! Glad to see that work out so well.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I wouldn't mind doing this mod myself but how do you determine the length of the poles and do you have to have tie outs on the seam?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randonneur View Post
    I wouldn't mind doing this mod myself but how do you determine the length of the poles and do you have to have tie outs on the seam?
    I was told the poles usually work by making them the exact same width as the tarp. The manufacturing process can lead to some variance and it doesn't always work, as in my case.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    My tarp has the clips along the underside of the tarp. I'm not sure there was a science to my length so I can't really speak knowledgeably to that...

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I was told the poles usually work by making them the exact same width as the tarp. The manufacturing process can lead to some variance and it doesn't always work, as in my case.
    That's what I was thinking. It sounds like a reasonable starting point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast