Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

2019 3rd Annual Frosty Butt Hang at Medoc Mt SP 24-27 Jan

Time flew by. I was sick the whole hang but toughed it out thanks to the emergency resupply of NyQuil from PappyAmos. Note...when NyQuil and DayQuil are left out below freezing they turn into a molasses like syrup that still taste bad.

Good size turn out of crazy hammock hangers wanting to hang out in the cold. I believe the total was 17 hangers. It was raining hard Thursday AM on the way to the hang but as soon as we got there at 12:30, it stopped and cleared up. We had hangers from 3 states attend...Maryland, VA and NC. We also had 2 first time hammock hangers ( a Marine and his son ) who also braved the cold. While no one froze, I did hear a couple of hangers did get a bit chilly.

Lows Thursday night got down to 24, Friday night down to 19 and Saturday night down to 27. If I am wrong, please correct me. At any rate Friday nights low beats the previous low of 22 at Merchants Mill Pond SP.

Food...seems all we did was eat. The Terminator got to play with her new griddle and is very happy with the money we spent on it ( a Blackstone 22"). She is also no longer a Dutch Oven virgin as she made a cherry and apple cobbler in her DO that has been gathering dust. Still needs to work on the cobbler but they both disappeared real fast. Big thanks to every one who either brought food and or helped to cook it. We had S'gettie, Ham Sandwiches, Pork Loins, Brats and Hot Dogs with excellent home made chili along with grilled onions and bell peppers, Beef Stew, White Chicken Chile, Split Pea Soup, grilled veggies, home bread, sweet potato casserole ( not all at once ). For breakfast's there were pancakes, sausage patties, bacon and scrambled eggs. For Sunday breakfast we had an assortment of breakfast pastries to eat while we broke down camp.

Fire wood was not an issue this hang as several folks brought wood plus MacDiver and I went to a lumber yard in the area that also sold fire wood. We loaded down my 5x8 ft trailer. Will be going there next hang for wood. The fire was started Thursday afternoon and we got to enjoy the cave man TV all weekend.

We also had three visitors who would have normally hung with us but due to other commitments could not spend the night but they were able to stop by and visit and share dinner with us.

As soon as I can go thru the few pictures I took, I will post them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 01-28-2019 at 12:46.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I want to thank everyone who came out and helped with the hang. Think it was hike to shoot who was afraid I was going to offer more food right after eating! Thank you Greg from Maryland with helping me cooking and what ever I needed. Tree beard was the one helping me with the cobblers. Hopefully he'll be back next hang with his d.o. Shout out to our fire starter, Mckai. ( sp) What a nice young man! Keep up the good work Mike! Hope to see you and wife next hang! Pappy and I had fun playing with our new grills. As Gunner said, Saturday night there was alot of food and a few people just for the day. Sam even had fun meeting new people. I'll apologize if he annoyed anyone. Tom, I hope he didn't teach shadow any bad habits. Phantom as usual, was very gracious and generous with sharing all the food he brought intended for grayson! There is alot to say and people to thank, but I can't remember all! Hopefully everyone had fun, ate well, and wants to come back. Glad to hear mcdiver made it out. Planning next hang!

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Once again great job by Terminator and Gunner. Excellent food and company, glad to meet to faces. Temp in my area read 23 degrees but I was far out. This was the coldest I have been in a hammock and my gear performed perfect. Tarp was covered with frost both inside and out. Great fire at night. Thanks to all. See you all at Yates.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner, Hennessy
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin, ridgr
    Suspension
    Whooppees
    Gunner, Terminator, thank you for hosting a really nice event. It was just what I needed - three nights in cold temps to get the underquilt and new hammock dialed in. Appreciate the advice from all, and seeing everyone's setups. Amazed at all the food. Will hope to get to more events in NC this year!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Having heated restrooms close by was a nice feature. Just thinking about all the stuff we still have to unpack and clean.
    Last edited by gunner76; 01-28-2019 at 12:55.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Some more pictures ( these have been from my cell phone; I have more as soon as I can get to my cameras )

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks to gunner76 and terminator for hosting another great hang at Medoc. It was awesome watching everyone crawl out of their tarps on Friday morning with frost from their tarps covering their shoulders and beanies like snow. As always way more food than normal humans could possibly consume even though we tried. After forgetting my down coat I was very grateful for the roaring fire started by GDWelker and maintained by Makai. Tall Tales by the campfire at night. Opportunities to learn something and occasionally something to pass along to others.

I found the tree with the electric outlet for gunner76 and it was a shame he forgot his electric blanket. And always a pleasure to have Sam there so I don't miss my pup so much. This time we had a new well mannered furry person there as well.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I found the tree with the electric outlet for gunner76 and it was a shame he forgot his electric blanket
    If I knew you were creating an electric tree I would have brought the electric blanket. I was hoping Shadow would teach Sam some manners but it did not work out that way.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Thank you Gunner&Terminator for hosting a wonderful hang. Here’s hoping you are both getting caught up on your rest and recovery from colds. It was fun seeing all different rigs and meeting Noobs and Old Pros. Most Noobs attending are experienced campers and give camaraderie around campfire

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Your wood looked like it burned !
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast