Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

New Kickstarter: Mantis Hammock and Tarp Combo

At the rate these are popping up, perhaps we should have a Kickstarter sub-forum, lol.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-hammock-tent
    Here is one by Kammok. A company I don’t ever see mentioned here on the forums, but they have a lot of interesting products besides this one.
    https://youtu.be/tA6ljjY1Tic
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 02-12-2019 at 22:02.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Looks like they might be infringing on the WB net design?
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MLD UL
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Undecided

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I just saw Derek Hansen's video of it today. In all honesty, it looks like a pretty well-thought out system. The hammock is only 10' long, however. And the tarp may not provide as much side coverage as some would probably prefer. But it seems to be well-constructed; and the ultralight version is actually pretty lightweight.

It's nice to see a "big name" vendor finally get away from the 3-panel design.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Tarp looks a little small to me.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I just saw Derek Hansen's video of it today. In all honesty, it looks like a pretty well-thought out system. The hammock is only 10' long, however. And the tarp may not provide as much side coverage as some would probably prefer. But it seems to be well-constructed; and the ultralight version is actually pretty lightweight.

It's nice to see a "big name" vendor finally get away from the 3-panel design.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Yeah... being relatively familiar with Kammok's offerings, I had a feeling this would be another 10' hammock, otherwise I'd be looking more closely at this. The Roo (double) was my first hammock "upgrade" over my noob obligatory ENO doublenest, haha. So I've slept in a 10' hammock but my current 12' gear is far more comfortable for overnighting. But hey-- They finally introduced a "Roo Double XL" at 11.5' sometime last year, so maybe someday they'll make a Mantis XL.

Thoughts:

* I dig some of the colors Kammok has been doing lately. Yeah this is superficial, but that midnight color looks so nice-- I wish there was a Hexon or Hyper D in something like that.

* While at first glance it seems a lot like a Chameleon or other hammock with integrated bug net, there are some nice details like the toggles, aluminum hooks, and the pockets in the bug-net that, when tied out, create a small shelf, etc etc.

* I like how the stuff sack has sleeves for the stakes, and how there's a waterproof membrane to separate the tarp from the hammock so that a wet tarp doesn't get your hammock while in the same stuff sack;

* I thought the straps were interesting the way they spread out the to 2" for the part that goes around the tree (I got an email from Kammok last week as someone who backed Ultimate Hammock's woven hammock straps a couple years back-- apparently Kammok has acquired the intellectual property of those Ultimate Straps and they're now iterating on the design.) I'm definitely interested in checking these out when they become available separately.

* Overall there's just something nice about an all-in-one kit for a beginner. For many of us here we enjoy customizing our kit, but there is something really appealing about something like this that will get you going. Derek makes a good point-- the kit has the hammock analog of a tent-- everything you need to set up shelter (excluding trees or other to anchor to, of course).

* That said... this reminds me a bit of the REI quarterdome air hammock-- also an all-in-one with a tarp that doesn't appear to provide much range in terms of protection from the elements. Probably fine in mild weather, but bring much wind or heavier precipitation and I'd wish the sides were longer at least.

* Price is attractive for an all-in-one kit too; likely partly due to manufacturing at scale in China.

Ultimately this hammock isn't big enough for me to consider; I also feel like the tarp, not providing the coverage I'd want, becomes largely a waste. Otherwise, this feels like a more mass market iteration of the integrated bug net hammock with some interesting details. Not a bad starter kit for someone a bit smaller. Kinda want to get one for my niece just so I can tinker with one :P

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    it seems like a pretty reasonable starter kit

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Yeah that shelf, no good.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    It's definitely similar to the El Dorado, but not a total copy. It doesn't seem like it's really a "shelf," but more of a way to keep the bugnet pulled away with a small, integrated pocket. The bugnet pullout idea is also similar to the Sheltowee Half-Shell or SMD Ninox.

I could be wrong, but I don't think WB has a patent on net pullouts, but rather the integrated shelf.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    It's definitely similar to the El Dorado, but not a total copy. It doesn't seem like it's really a "shelf," but more of a way to keep the bugnet pulled away with a small, integrated pocket. The bugnet pullout idea is also similar to the Sheltowee Half-Shell or SMD Ninox.

I could be wrong, but I don't think WB has a patent on net pullouts, but rather the integrated shelf.
    I am not sure sure about the legal details etc., those were just my first thoughts. If you look at an aerial view of the Mantis, it is strikingly similar to the aerial view of the WBBB. That being said "more of a way to keep the bugnet pulled away with a small, integrated pocket." to me sounds exactly like describing the Warbonnet shelf with different words.

The WB shelf is indeed a way to keep the bugnet pulled away by using an integrated pocket and multiple panels of bug netting. Neither the Ninox nor the Half Shell incorporate the pocket/shelf design at all, I am not suggesting that the use of pullouts is in question, but rather the extra section panel that creates a storage shelf. This of course, doesn't mean the Mantis isn't a quality, viable product. I was just surprised at the similarities between the two... A "first look", if you will. At 10 feet, this is a much better option than a lot of the other hammocks out there in the Kammok target market arena.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast