DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Which vendor(s) sell a version of Wilderness Logistics Lazy Slug Tube? Will any vendor be able to fabricate a reasonable facsimile of this product, now that Wilderness Logistics is no longer around? Thanks in advance for your responses. I find my snake skins (2 pcs) to be really great over not having one. I opted for two piece design, and am happy with my choice (mesh). I am intrigued by getting a lazy slug tube though.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Definitely 1 piece snake skin. I used a two piece and it was a pain having to deal with wrapping up a tarp twice essentially. The skins kept slipping away from the middle when I rolled them up. I went with the one piece mesh from hammock gear and love it. Super easy to slip on and off. Don't have any experience with CF snakeskins.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Well, I am still undecided. I have been exploring a few options.

I started with two piece silnylon Hennessy skins. That led me to making two sets of two piece noseeum skins. And I just took delivery of a one piece HG cuben skin.

What I like...

- Easy to keep the tarp up, in the skin but not staked out, when using split ridge lines.
    - No more hassling with guy lines getting tangled and having to figure eight them or untangle
    - Packing is easy enough.. I thought it would be more problematic than a soft noseeum double ended stuff sack, but I may have been wrong.. not 100% on this
    - Being able to remove the stakes at one end at a time and get half of the tarp in the skin while working on the other the other end. Works fine with either one or two piece

What I dislike...

- The middle bubble I get with the silpoly tarps and two piece skins. Haven't tried the one piece skin on the silpoly yet
    - No easy way to dry the inside of the cuben or silnylon skins without turning them inside out. The noseeum wins in this regard
    - Ridge line management.. On the DIY skins, I made end pockets. On the cuben and HH I am wrapping the RL around the rolled up bundle. Still exploring what I like best.
    - SilPoly skins are a PITA to roll up because of how slick they are. Surprisingly the noseeum is a pain in this regard as well. Cuben is a joy.

Of the four sets I have, I like the Hammock Gear Cuben one piece most.. but it has the advantage of cuben cool factor.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    What I dislike...

- The middle bubble...
    - No easy way to dry the inside of the cuben or silnylon skins without turning them inside out...
    - Ridge line management... end pockets...
    It's for these three reasons that I have landed on SLD's one-piece mesh skins. I tried, in this order:
    - HH two-piece
    - mesh two-piece with pockets
    - SLD silnylon one-piece with pockets
    - finally, SLD mesh one-piece with pockets

After my last trip out with the one-piece silnylon skin, I hung my tarp inside to dry. The next day, the skin was still soaked on the inside. That pushed me to go with mesh.

I like mesh because of the reason others have mentioned about drying the skins without having to turn them inside-out. I've never had a problem with my two-piece skins from MountainGoat. I've never had a large enough middle "bubble" to have it be a concern. YMMMV...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Mesh, 1 piece because it's all I have ever used and it works.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    I ended up getting the mesh single piece from Dutch. The first time took... an embarrassingly long time. After I worked out the kinks, its really fast and easy. I roll up the first third, gathering in the guy lines, pulll the skins over, do the same with the middle third, then the same for the last third. Ridge line goes into the end pocket.

It is noteworthy that the Dutch website seems to say there are pockets in both ends for the ridge line, unless I am reading it wrong (which is probably the case). On mine, there was only a pocket in the big end (the other end is tapered to almost closed, no pocket).

It hasn't rained on me yet, so no idea how that will affect the operation. This is the only Snakeskin I have, but I don't see how a two piece would have any advantage. The one piece is super convenient.

Correction: I took another look after I posted this and found the pocket on the tapered end. Old man eyes ain't what they used to be!
    Last edited by Groundskeeper; 02-05-2019 at 13:22.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Since I am using the two piece on two twelve foot silpoly tarps, it's a lot of fabric to work with.. I haven't found a way to do it without getting the bubble.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Since I am using the two piece on two twelve foot silpoly tarps, it's a lot of fabric to work with.. I haven't found a way to do it without getting the bubble.
    Mesh, single piece. I have the HG model that went on Black Friday sale for like $10...I think it's $20 now. Doesn't have the end pockets like the Dutch model. I just wrap the loose ends of the CRL around each end as I roll it up. No bubble, and pretty compact. I can stuff the whole bundle back into the tarp stuff sack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234