Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images

Budget tarp.

Hey all I found quite by accident a budget tarp on Amozon the other day.
    From a company called Chill Gorilla. It's 11'x9' hex with guy lines and 4 stakes.
    For about $35.00.
    Chill Gorilla Hex Hammock Rain Fly Tent Tarp Waterproof Camping Shelter. Essential Survival Gear. Stakes Included. Lightweight. Easy to Setup. Camp Accessories. OD Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TRFKBX..._30HsCb8JVCJ2Y
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest II
    Insulation
    HG Eco Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I've heard good things about that tarp, I think the biggest drawback for people was the big logo! If you're willing to take that trade off, apparently it's a great tarp for the money.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Before I got my cottage vendor tarp, I used the Chill Gorilla (just gave it to a buddy). It's a pretty good tarp. I think it's actually just under 12' along the ridgeline. It's a little heavy and bulky compared to a tarp made from 1.1 silpoly. But it definitely kept me dry, and provides a good amount of coverage. I think the price has gone down on them quite a bit over the past year or so. Definitely a good budget option.

I highly recommend swapping out the included cordage for something like Zing-It, though.
    Last edited by rweb82; 01-24-2019 at 16:13.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I haven't heard good things about it, but one thing I've learned is that people who like budget tarps can convince themselves something is a good value when it's not. When I first joined HF, the Guide Gear 12 x 12 tarp was all the rage - a $20 tarp that was a tremendous value, according to budget tarp fans. If you look on HF you will find hundreds of testimonials about what a great tarp it is. So I bought two of them and they leaked like a sieve. You don't hear about Guide Gear tarps anymore because it became apparent that people were deceiving themselves. There are only a couple of reviews of Chill Gorilla tarps on HF, and of course, they are positive. However, I went on a hang last year where it rained five inches overnight, and the Chill Gorilla did not fare so well, leaking like crazy after only a couple of hours. Luckily, someone was able to loan the person a tarp.

I'd recommend looking for something with a bit better reputation like a Kelty Noah 12 x 12 or an HH Hex. You'll pay a bit more, but you'll probably stay a lot drier.

HG has a sale on tarps right now - The Quest II for $59.99 and the Journey II for $79.99.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-24-2019 at 17:08.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Granted, it's $80 instead of $35 and it won't be delivered to your door in 2 days with Amazon Prime, but if you're willing to pony up a little extra dough, you can get a quality tarp handmade in the USA by a trusted cottage vendor in the hammock industry. And you can choose from 7 colors and it doesn't have a big gorilla logo on it.

http://ugqoutdoor.com/tarps/penny-pincher-tarps/

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a Chinook 12x9.6' that's done well for me in wind and rain, and while not ultralight it's still backpackable at about 26oz. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052SXFXE/

tarp2.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm all over DCF tarps when it comes to actual backpacking. However, if base- or car-camping, and not carrying the tarp all day in a backpack — and especially when a tarp will be deployed in one spot and left up for a few days — I'll pick a cheap tarp every time and save the 'good' stuff for the trail.

One that I bought based on a recommendation HERE is the MD Pinnacle tarp, and it has worked out well. I've used it only 4 nights or so, and only one night had a little light rain, but it worked well. I think they're still available on Amazon.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Before I got my cottage vendor tarp, I used the Chill Gorilla (just gave it to a buddy). It's a pretty good tarp. I think it's actually just under 12' along the ridgeline. It's a little heavy and bulky compared to a tarp made from 1.1 silpoly. But it definitely kept me dry, and provides a good amount of coverage. I think the price has gone down on them quite a bit over the past year or so. Definitely a good budget option.

I highly recommend swapping out the included cordage for something like Zing-It, though.
    Thanks for the heads up, and the review. You sure you didn't just convince yourself it kept you dry? Clearly there is a time and place for budget, and a time and place for quality.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Twokag View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, and the review. You sure you didn't just convince yourself it kept you dry? Clearly there is a time and place for budget, and a time and place for quality.
    Believe in "the dry;" be "the dry." Lol. My first tarp was a cheap 9x9 poly tarp- came in a 2-pack from Menards for $3.99 on clearance. I pitched it like a diamond. The very first night I hammock camped, we had a big thunderstorm with a few hours of torrential rain. I'll be darned if ol' cheapy didn't keep me dry as a bone.

My take on the whole "budget" gear thing is that there's pretty good stuff and pretty bad stuff. Do your research and get the best gear you can afford now to get out enjoying the outdoors. If the $70-$100 difference between a budget and cottage tarp is going to delay you a couple months from getting outside, go with the budget option, and save for the better gear later. Or do as I did, and use birthday/Christmas money to get the good stuff.

After all, isn't the whole point to get out and actually enjoy the outdoors?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I own the chill gorilla fortress and love it. It has doors on it and is very durable. Use seam sealer when you first get it (or anything with seams) and you shouldn't have a problem with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast