11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Before I got my cottage vendor tarp, I used the Chill Gorilla (just gave it to a buddy). It's a pretty good tarp. I think it's actually just under 12' along the ridgeline. It's a little heavy and bulky compared to a tarp made from 1.1 silpoly. But it definitely kept me dry, and provides a good amount of coverage. I think the price has gone down on them quite a bit over the past year or so. Definitely a good budget option.

I highly recommend swapping out the included cordage for something like Zing-It, though.
    How long did you use this tarp? Did you replace it with a cottage vendor because of an issue with the chill gorilla or just because you could get a better and lighter tarp?

I'm wondering because I just picked one up and trying to judge how long I can expect it to last before needing to upgrade

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaas View Post
    How long did you use this tarp? Did you replace it with a cottage vendor because of an issue with the chill gorilla or just because you could get a better and lighter tarp?

I'm wondering because I just picked one up and trying to judge how long I can expect it to last before needing to upgrade
    I used mine exclusively for a year, and had no issues with it. My son also used used it on a few overnighters with me. The only reason I purchased another tarp is because I wanted to save weight/bulk in my pack (I'm a backpacker). I think the Chill Gorilla should last 2-3 years at least, if properly cared for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Sounds good. I'm starting love backpacking and the weight of it is high, but it's what was in the budget for now.

Glad to hear it should last a few years. That's plenty of time to get prepped for a real backpacking tarp

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    You can still backpack with it. I did, and was able to keep my total pack weight pretty low for a 3-night trip (23lbs). But it's definitely nice having a lighter tarp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10' Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    Gorilla Fortress
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Incu
    Suspension
    Straps w rings
    Images
    Okay as far as the Chill gorilla, I own a Fortress model. It has amazing coverage. The first one I received had a defect that looked as though it was seam sealed after the fact. I contacted Chill gorilla, sent them pics, and they sent me a new tarp, no need to send the old one back! Really pleased with their customer service. I did not seam seal (on purpose) and took it on a three day car camp. We had a torrential downpour on the last night. In fact we were concerned we might have trouble with flooding on our way out of the state forest. I DID experience leaks on the pullouts. The ridge seam and body of the tarp performed as well as any silny tarp. No leaks. I have seam sealed the pullouts now and am happy with the protection level.

Down sides, Weight, bulk, and that BIG white logo. I will be replacing it soon with a cottage vendor tarp. Not sure I want to go Dymena as they are a bit noisier. But a good 1.1 silpoly sounds like the next step for me.
    Lucky me, lucky mud. - Kurt Vonnegut.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    CDT UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reindeer View Post
    I own the chill gorilla fortress and love it. It has doors on it and is very durable. Use seam sealer when you first get it (or anything with seams) and you shouldn't have a problem with it.
    The CG fortress was my first tarp. it leaked like crazy until I seam sealed it, even in a light rain. Other than that, they're a great value

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    Late to the conversation. As one already said, I'm starting off with budget gear so I can get out to the woods. I ended up finding Chill Gorilla and for the past year and a half I have had good luck with it provided I followed the vendors recommendation to seam seal the ridgeline. Before I seam sealed, I did notice a little leaking but haven't since I sealed it. As a budget tarp to keep you dry, I would recommended it with the caveat, seal the seam as recommended.
    I however am seeking a new tarp to
    1) lighten my pack,
    2) pack a bit smaller / reduce bulk,
    3) increase coverage (I got a longer hammock and my current one is a tight fit), and
    4) my kids are starting to get into hammock camping, so I need to spread the coverage.

I'm hoping to keep below $100 and under 500 g for my next one. I have come candidates, next is saving the funds.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tsshaw78 View Post
    Late to the conversation. As one already said, I'm starting off with budget gear so I can get out to the woods. I ended up finding Chill Gorilla and for the past year and a half I have had good luck with it provided I followed the vendors recommendation to seam seal the ridgeline. Before I seam sealed, I did notice a little leaking but haven't since I sealed it. As a budget tarp to keep you dry, I would recommended it with the caveat, seal the seam as recommended.
    I however am seeking a new tarp to
    1) lighten my pack,
    2) pack a bit smaller / reduce bulk,
    3) increase coverage (I got a longer hammock and my current one is a tight fit), and
    4) my kids are starting to get into hammock camping, so I need to spread the coverage.

I'm hoping to keep below $100 and under 500 g for my next one. I have come candidates, next is saving the funds.
    You mentioned you already have some candidates in mind and you didn't list what those were, but I'll throw this out there again, same as I did earlier in the thread.

The UGQ Penny Pincher line is a great value. You weren't specific whether you'd be looking for an 11' or 12' tarp when you said you wanted a longer one than your Chill Gorilla (it looks like those come in several sizes).

The Penny Pincher Hanger 12 is 14.9oz (422g) for $90 with a stuff sack ($85 without).
    The Hanger 11 is 13.5oz (382g) for $85 with a stuff sack ($80 without).
    Both are 116" wide.

These are high-quality tarps, handmade in Michigan by a trusted vendor who are great to do business with. They're also available in a choice of 7 colors and there are a few other options you can add if you wish.

Heck, for the full $100 budget you mentioned, you could step it up to the Winterdream11 (547g) which adds doors for end coverage.
    $105 for the Winterdream 12 (584g) / $110 for the Winterdream 13 (612g)
    Add $5 to the price of any of these if you need a stuff sack. But if you're like me, you probably have a few spares laying around, or you can sew your own if you're able.

http://ugqoutdoor.com/tarps/penny-pincher-tarps/

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    cmc4free, the Penny Pincher is on my radar as well as the Mamajamba from Warbonnet. Just waiting for the month the spare cash is available which will compete with getting 4 down blankets from Costco when they are back in season (topic for a different thread).
    I find the winter tarps interesting and I may save that for a future upgrade, but for now my outings are well covered (pun) with non-winter design.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I just picked up a 144" square tarp with two poles, stakes, tie downs, and bags to fill with dirt/sand to keep it taught.$38 ozark trail from walmart. Bought it for a shade roof on the patio but Just out of the box I'm impressed with it. I think I'm going to add more tie out points and take it out for a spin with my hammock. 12'x12' and it is seam taped. no info on material. I asume it's dwr treated? I'll know more in a day or so. Again, purchased for shade. Expect the worse, hope for the best...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast