Grand Trunk Hybrid Shelter
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    LL Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    What base are you relocating from, el Paso or Austin?

Mason tract will offer freedom of hiking without trails
    Piegon river
    Huron national forest or manistee nation forest allows off trail dispersed camping
    You can dispersed camp on the manistee river trail
    Nordhouse dunes

Then you have the UP where you can dispersed camp in a lot of the forest there

Www.johndee.com has northwoods trail cam where you can check areas all over the midwest
    That sounds perfect! I'm getting kind of excited about getting to visit there maybe. Even if this job falls through, maybe I can go up there just to hike and camp! ��

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by toferj View Post
    No way! I work right next door to the Mary Kay corporate building on Keller Springs! Small world! ��
    You will definitely see fewer pink Cadillacs in Gaylord.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I've vacationed a ton in Michigan (Mainly Bellaire in the NW of the LP). You might want to look into canoe camping as well. Tons of awesome water routes.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Hybrid Shelter
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    LL Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    I've vacationed a ton in Michigan (Mainly Bellaire in the NW of the LP). You might want to look into canoe camping as well. Tons of awesome water routes.
    I've got a dog who can't hike too far anymore because of hip dysplasia, so canoe camping might just be what the doctor ordered for that pup!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    One water route I recommend is the Au Sable River. Iargo Springs and Lumberman's Monument are nice places to get out and hike up the bluff stairs to enjoy the view. I've paddled the river as a kid many times and would love to paddle/camp as an adult.

https://paddling.com/paddle/trips/au...3.4403&zoom=14
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    Ugq
    Insulation
    Wilderness logics
    Suspension
    Dutch ware
    Images
    right near gaylord you have the Jordan river valley loop which is on the NCT and the pigeon river area is not far either. Both places I have camped many times!

Hammock
    ?? Don't know? I have a grand trunk
    Insulation
    Home made down top
    Suspension
    Straps
    I guess I was a former Michigander from Gaylord. Long time ago tho, 43 years. I grew up east of spar on spar rd. We didn't migrate in the winter like some. My parents were always taking us kids places. Lots of public state land, small lakes, rivers and streams. We would always be camping, picking blue berries, black berries and morale mushrooms always on public land. Didn't cost a dime, that I can remember. Us kids didn't know what a tick was. We always heard about deer ticks, but I never had one on me and we basically lived outside. Didn't know any poisonous snakes either. Only thing we was concerned about was yellow jackets and skeeters.

Dad worked at the US Plywood factory, and when he got laid off, early 70's, we moved to Tn. Parents moved back to Gaylord when he retired in 91.

I'm going to take my hillbilly wife up there in the future. She's never been that far north. I miss the snow, public land, natural lakes and of course the UP.
    Rambling on again. Roy.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I grew up in the UP, pretty remote places, some have already been mentioned. The Porkies are awesome, one of my favorites is the Sturgeon River Gorge area as well.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 hyper D 11’
    Tarp
    12x10 diy hottent
    Insulation
    1.6hyperd quilts
    I live in Waters, Frederic Area and grew up in the Pigeon River Forest and after military lived in Traverse City man we have tons of hiking and camping opportunities. I do a different solo hike/hang at least every month and the family and I since being new to the Ausable River and upper Manistee river area we try and take a hike every weekend. We just did a 9 mile day hike on the Mason tract was a nice walk to start the warm weather the section we did not a lot of hills. But yea just tons of trails to the east, west, south, north of Gaylord as close as just 4 miles from town. The High Country Pathway in the Pigeon I love I rarely ever run into anybody and I spend a lot of time in Green Timbers just a few miles North and east of Gaylord. if you make it up drop me a note would love to take people out see Elk, Trout Fishing or a hike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123