Grand Trunk Hybrid Shelter
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    LL Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Rotfl....... We have looooooooong winters.
    Sounds great! Though probably better if I didn't have to spend those winters by myself. So far a few articles I've found online make me think that it's not going to be too easy to find someone. Add to that that I'm an atheist and... well, the backpacking sounds AWESOME!

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I grew up in Hale, Michigan (about 1.5 hours from Gaylord). My aunt & uncle & a bunch of cousins live in Gaylord.

You are definitely up there in forest area. Lots of little lakes and rivers too.

Great area for hunting, trapping, and fishing (if you are into that) Also there's ski and golf resorts near there. Maybe you could get into snowmobiling!

Not a huge population - around 3,500 or so, but the population swells during the summer when everybody comes up to visit their summer cabins.

Cool facts about the area:
    - Gaylord rests on the 45th parallel line – halfway between the equator and the North Pole. This is one of 29 places (six are in Michigan) in the U.S.A. where such signs are known to exist
    - Hartwick Pines State Park is just 30 miles to the south, and is one of the last remaining stands of old growth virgin Eastern white pine forest.
    - You will be about 15 minutes away from the Annual Green Timbers hammock hang in Feb.
    - There are a ton of cool hammock hangers who live in Michigan!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    - Gaylord rests on the 45th parallel line – halfway between the equator and the North Pole.
    I always keep a close eye on the webcam at the NWS-Gaylord office. I like to have good intel on the snow before heading up for each trip.

Welcoming you to our great state of Michigan. Tons of great backpacking in our great state. I can't even begin to list all the options, but one trail stands out and that's the North Country Trail. I've done close to 600 miles of it in our state and if you Google "michigandave nct" you should find lots of links to my trip reports.

You mentioned the Gaylord area. I suggest reaching out to my good friends Turkey and Squirrelbait, who are Gaylordians. We host the Gluttony Hang up there in November and Green Timbers in February.

Even though I'm in the metro Detroit area, northern Michigan and the Gaylord are are my home away from home. Pic is from Green Timbers a couple weeks ago.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    LL Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I grew up in Hale, Michigan (about 1.5 hours from Gaylord). My aunt & uncle & a bunch of cousins live in Gaylord.

You are definitely up there in forest area. Lots of little lakes and rivers too.

Great area for hunting, trapping, and fishing (if you are into that) Also there's ski and golf resorts near there. Maybe you could get into snowmobiling!

Not a huge population - around 3,500 or so, but the population swells during the summer when everybody comes up to visit their summer cabins.

Cool facts about the area:
    - Gaylord rests on the 45th parallel line – halfway between the equator and the North Pole. This is one of 29 places (six are in Michigan) in the U.S.A. where such signs are known to exist
    - Hartwick Pines State Park is just 30 miles to the south, and is one of the last remaining stands of old growth virgin Eastern white pine forest.
    - You will be about 15 minutes away from the Annual Green Timbers hammock hang in Feb.
    - There are a ton of cool hammock hangers who live in Michigan!
    Man! Thanks so much for all the intel on the area!! I love how close I'd be to so many hammock hangers and backpackers. I'd be moving up there solo with just my dogs, so it's good to hear that there's a way for me to meet folks up there. I haven't even got the job yet, I've got a phone call with the recruiter on Friday... wish me luck!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    LL Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Welcoming you to our great state of Michigan. Tons of great backpacking in our great state. I can't even begin to list all the options, but one trail stands out and that's the North Country Trail. I've done close to 600 miles of it in our state and if you Google "michigandave nct" you should find lots of links to my trip reports.

You mentioned the Gaylord area. I suggest reaching out to my good friends Turkey and Squirrelbait, who are Gaylordians. We host the Gluttony Hang up there in November and Green Timbers in February.

Even though I'm in the metro Detroit area, northern Michigan and the Gaylord are are my home away from home. Pic is from Green Timbers a couple weeks ago.

Man! Killer picture! It looks gorgeous up there. I've been checking out real estate on Zillow and I'm finding quite a few places in my price range. I haven't lived in a place with snow since I was a kid! I haven't got the job yet, but I'm sort of excited about it just because it would be a new adventure to move up there and have so much great backpacking at my doorstep!

If I get it and I end up moving, I'll definitely be posting in here looking for advice and to meet new friends!

Thanks Michigandave!

Hammock
    Home sewn, 11'
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Synth UQ, Down TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I always keep a close eye on the webcam at the NWS-Gaylord office. I like to have good intel on the snow before heading up for each trip.

This pic reminded me of the website I watch. This is in the far northern reaches of the U.P. I was a senior in college up there when the record was set.

https://www.pasty.com/snow/

On the drive back and forth from school, we would be concerned with the weather conditions from Gaylord to Mackinaw City on I-75. It seemed that, in the winter, there was always issues with snow along that stretch.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by toferj View Post
    Man! Thanks so much for all the intel on the area!! I love how close I'd be to so many hammock hangers and backpackers. I'd be moving up there solo with just my dogs, so it's good to hear that there's a way for me to meet folks up there. I haven't even got the job yet, I've got a phone call with the recruiter on Friday... wish me luck!
    I just looked to see you are in Dallas! I attend my Mary Kay seminar down there and visit headquarters. I love Dallas.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    What base are you relocating from, el Paso or Austin?

Mason tract will offer freedom of hiking without trails
    Piegon river
    Huron national forest or manistee nation forest allows off trail dispersed camping
    You can dispersed camp on the manistee river trail
    Nordhouse dunes

Then you have the UP where you can dispersed camp in a lot of the forest there

Www.johndee.com has northwoods trail cam where you can check areas all over the midwest
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    LL Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I just looked to see you are in Dallas! I attend my Mary Kay seminar down there and visit headquarters. I love Dallas.
    No way! I work right next door to the Mary Kay corporate building on Keller Springs! Small world! 😁

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast