Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B

HG Phoenix vs LL Habanero

After looking into 40 degree 3/4 length under quilts I'm noticing quite a difference in the amount of down LL has compared to HG.

HG Phoenix Econ
    Loft 1.5
    Duck Down 800
    52 x 45 inches
    Fill Weight 4.4 oz
    Total Weight 13.04
    $89

LL Habanero
    Loft 1.75
    Duck down 800
    50 x 44 inches
    Fill Weight 7 oz
    Total Weight 12.4
    $161

Looking at this LL say it has 2.5 MORE ounces & .25 higher loft for the same temp rating. Looking at the dimensions, LL is only SLIGHTLY smaller but no were near enough for 2.5 ounces to be or not to be argued. Is LL just much warmer? Is HG fill enough for 40 degrees? HG is half the price for supposedly the same temp & size under quilt.

Also, If looking at a 3/4 length quilt, what size would you opt for? 50 inches? 52 inches from HG? 56 inches? Etc... Wide (48) vs Standard (44)?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I've never owned HG quilts, so I can't really compare. I do know that they make good products, and many people swear by their quilts. As for LL, I can say that I have never been cold in any of their quilts. I've taken my 20° Habanero down to almost 0° on its own, and was still warm. That said, I am a warm sleeper- so there are definitely other factors involved with how "warm" a particular quilt will be.

Also, the Saver Series Habanero 40° lists 6oz as the fill wt. for a 50" quilt- 13.4oz for total weight, and total price of $130. You were comparing their Premium Habanero to the HG Econ- which is not an accurate comparison. The LL Saver Series uses the same Ion fabric as the HG Econ, and thus is a more apples to apples comparison.

As for quilt size, my SS Habanero is 56" long, and I'm 6'1". When sleeping on a diagonal, the quilt starts at my neck, and ends at my lower calf. I use a pillow for my head, and a Thermarest Lite sit pad for my feet. That gives me plenty of insulation.

I don't think you can go wrong with either vendor. But I personally love Loco Libre quilts!

The premium versus Econ comparison is kind of "gray" compared to the questions that the OP is asking (he does mention the price, but it appears he asking more about the accuracy of the 40F rating). He's asking about the insulation rating/comparison for 40F. The premium fabric versus Ion fabric would have little impact in my opinion on the accuracy/suitability of the 40F rating. Both are 800 Fill duck down. I have never used LL, but would have to speculate that they are very conservative with their ratings. I do have a 40F Econ Phoenix that I use in the late Spring/Summer. I've only had it down to the mid 50s and it was comfortable and I'm a cold sleeper. I'm only 5'8 and the 52" length works really well in this temperature range for me.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    From what I recall for down loft, 40° is 1.5" loft and every 10° lower is another half inch of loft. Based on the math ((length * width * loft) / fill power = ounces of down) it seems like LL is overstuffing. I would assume then you could take the LL to a lower temp, but that all depends on what kind of sleeper you are. I've seen folks posting that they've pushed their HG quilts to lower than rated temps. If you look at the loft heights, one could argue that the Habanero is a 35° quilt.

Phoenix: (52 * 45 * 1.5) / 800 = 4.3875 oz

Habanero: (50 * 44 * 1.75) / 800 = 4.8125 oz

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I've never owned HG quilts, so I can't really compare. I do know that they make good products, and many people swear by their quilts. As for LL, I can say that I have never been cold in any of their quilts. I've taken my 20° Habanero down to almost 0° on its own, and was still warm. That said, I am a warm sleeper- so there are definitely other factors involved with how "warm" a particular quilt will be.

Also, the Saver Series Habanero 40° lists 6oz as the fill wt. for a 50" quilt- 13.4oz for total weight, and total price of $130. You were comparing their Premium Habanero to the HG Econ- which is not an accurate comparison. The LL Saver Series uses the same Ion fabric as the HG Econ, and thus is a more apples to apples comparison.

As for quilt size, my SS Habanero is 56" long, and I'm 6'1". When sleeping on a diagonal, the quilt starts at my neck, and ends at my lower calf. I use a pillow for my head, and a Thermarest Lite sit pad for my feet. That gives me plenty of insulation.

I don't think you can go wrong with either vendor. But I personally love Loco Libre quilts!
    I understand there are different fabrics used in each however I can't imagine that the fabric in the LL quilt makes the price double. Typically its the quality and quantity of down fill that increases the price that drastically which i think can be attested to the quantity of down in the LL quilt compared to the HG. My biggest concern is the insulation rating for both quilts with roughly the same dimensions and the same type and fill power of the down. 2.5 ounces is quite the bump in such a small quilt. I added the price comparison because in a sense, I wanted to know if everyone thinks the LL is a better buy for double the money than the HG when they should both be comfortable at the same temp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    The Incubators have a tapered design to save weight down by the legs and feet. Perhaps they are also tapering the Phoenix in a way that results in a lower weight as well. One nice thing about the Habanero is that you can have it made with slanted baffles if you only lay one way all the time. I haven’t tried it yet, but it sounds like a great idea.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If the LL is “overstuffed” by a good margin, how much does that really impact the temperature rating or comfort of the quilt? People may think there is value in it but my understanding was that so long as the baffle is sufficiently lofted with the down, it should keep the same temp rating.

Maybe more down means that even over years and many uses, any degradation of the down would have less of an impact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Well I think I'm going with the Phoenix. At 5'9 and the use of a footpad, do you think that's sufficient length or would you advise to go with 56 inches?

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wvumountaineer52 View Post
    Well I think I'm going with the Phoenix. At 5'9 and the use of a footpad, do you think that's sufficient length or would you advise to go with 56 inches?
    Not sure, but I'm going with the phoenix too!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by wvumountaineer52 View Post
    I'm 6'1" and my LL Habanero is 56" and it works perfectly for me in conjunction with a sit pad under my feet. At 5'9", you'll probably be fine with the 52".

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast