DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As others have stated, the blanket will be no problem... just stick out appendages as necessary or shove to the foot of the hammock entirely. Really, not a problem.

Also, this blanket is not a revolutionary concept. There are many quilts that have footboxes with zippers or snaps, combined with drawstrings that let them open completely and lie flat in blanket mode.

You will find that bottom insulation is the far bigger challenge. 20°C (68°F) might sound like a warm temperature, but after you remain still for a while and body metabolism slows down, you will find your backside getting uncomfortably cold. Some sort of bottom insulation will be needed, and although closed-cell foam pads and air mats can work, they are in my opinion far inferior to a quality, well-adjusted underquilt.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Here is a recent thread on this same topic...

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    As others have stated, the blanket will be no problem... just stick out appendages as necessary or shove to the foot of the hammock entirely. Really, not a problem.
    OK, thanks. I really didn't notice someone said that.

Also, this blanket is not a revolutionary concept. There are many quilts that have footboxes with zippers or snaps, combined with drawstrings that let them open completely and lie flat in blanket mode.
    Of course it isn't. It's blanket.
    But I like the concept and, from what I hear, the quality.

You will find that bottom insulation is the far bigger challenge. 20°C (68°F) might sound like a warm temperature, but after you remain still for a while and body metabolism slows down, you will find your backside getting uncomfortably cold. Some sort of bottom insulation will be needed, and although closed-cell foam pads and air mats can work, they are in my opinion far inferior to a quality, well-adjusted under quilt.
    Yes, I know that. But that's not what I'm shopping for right now. I think the the Hennessy pad will do me to start with and if not I can stick another cheap pad in there. If this goes well I plan on an under quilt later. As for now I don't even know if I'll be comfortable in the hammock.

I do have bottom insulation and I'm not confused about how that works. I do not have top insulation (that I want to use) so that's what I need to buy. And am uncertain about how it works in a hammock compared to on the ground
    Last edited by ThreeTracks; 01-23-2019 at 11:37.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a video on some of my top quilts.
    Some you can use as a blanket or tie it into a footbox. Easy enough to stick a leg or both out if too warm.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is a video on some of my top quilts.
    Some you can use as a blanket or tie it into a footbox. Easy enough to stick a leg or both out if too warm.
    Shug

That's good then. You see, the hammock I tried, don't remember the brand, made me lie pretty deep in it, like a pea in a pod. It would have been hard to stick anything out and folding a blanket/quilt away without it sliding back on top of me would have been impossible. Maybe that hammock was extreme in some way.

Nice you recommend 20 °F. Since that's what I'm planning on.

Like your videos BTW. I've seen several of them before. You're a funny guy.

I'm sorry, I now see there's a special sub forum for Top Insulation where I should have placed this thread. Moderators, feel free to move it. Or not. As you please.

Hammock
    DH Raven & Freebird at home
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    DIY CostCo
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I am using a blanket and it does great. I sleep in a hammock indoors, and there are times when I have to pull the blanket to the side to cool off and I don't get overly crowded. I have a pad as bottom insulation and it keeps the hammock more open than if I had an underquilt. Still, even with an underquilt, I can move the blanket aside with comfort.

Thank you! I've lusted a year for that blanket I linked to. I've just been waiting (and hoping) they'll get other colors. I loved the colors they had when I started to looking at it. But once I decided they had changed to all black. Now they have a couple more, but I don't like any, especially not in combination. You've convinced me it will work. I'll wait a little longer in case my favourite colors come back, otherwise what they have will have to do.

Colors shouldn't matter really. But I kinda like bright colors on gear. Not on clothes though.

Last year was very difficult and full of different restrictions. I wasn't able to travel as free as I used to and I tried to find another hobby. So here I am, the new lover of camping. I am going to buy all the necessary equipment for a beginner, but there is too much information in the internet and I can't choose the right one. I'll be very grateful if you guys will give me some useful advices. I have only one problem, can’t stand the cold. Is there any kind of weighted blanket like we use at home but only for camping? I'm afraid that it would be very cold in sleeping bag.
    Last edited by Carol68; 02-11-2021 at 01:24.

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    A slightly different perspective-
    Have you considered getting a net-less hammock and then getting a fronkey bugnet?
    Then you could hang it over the side or get air easier... although also easier to accidentally kick it onto the ground.
    I started with a Hennessy survivorman but switched to a net-less, I did it more because I didnt like struggling with a zipper, but still, might be an option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast