Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Get into it, with a mini me

Im looking at getting my first hammock for this spring. Originally I planned on having my 6 year old sleep with me. I was talked out of this on Homemade Wanderlusts group and pointed here for better info.

So what Im looking for first is my tarp. Since my boy will be hung above me I imagine Ill need a bigger tarp. I like the idea of the Superfly with the doors, but would that work with two of us?

Any suggestions on the hang? I want an built in bug net. Ive tried out a Grand Trunk, but the bug net readily tore out the attachment points where it was attached to the ridgeline. With a bouncy boy, the setup will need to be... robust. Someone suggested the Blackbird.
    Ive got a experienced brother helping me out with woopies and other gear

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I’d get a zip in bugnet. My first diy hammock was a Hennessy copy with a zippered net. It’s the kiddos now. He is an active sleeper. I once found his hammock upside down with him curled up in the net. I also like the zipper, because I the noise of him unzipping it will wake me up.

Look at side by side hanging with a spreader bar also. I much prefer it over the stacked with the kiddo. I can just look over/reach over to check on and adjust him at night. We started hanging together when he was 4. He’s 8 now.

For a tarp, if you are car camping, check out the Kelly Noah 12, or the REI knock off. It’s too heavy to backpack with, but it’s a good price for a solid tarp. Pitched in an a-frame, it easily covers two hammocks. They’re even on sale on amazon sometimes.

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    For what it's worth, I've camped several times with my three year old (though nearly as big as some six year olds a I apparently breed moose children) in the hammock with me and never had any issues. I've also camped with my 10 year old beside be using a spreader bar under a single tarp. Worked like a charm.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    A guy in Alabama hangs his kids in a Dream Hammock above his RidgeRunner bridge hammock. His Daughter has a pink one. I’ve seen it done and it seems to work very well.

Charlotte

Hammock
    still figuring this out.
    Tarp
    2 ust tube modif
    Insulation
    halitosis & woobie
    Suspension
    eno straps,snake..
    Images
    If anyone has pics of this setup, I would be interested to see it.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Dutch sells special Whoopie hooks and a spreader bar for side by side hammocks

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/do.../#tree-huggers

Bunch of photos in this thread:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...cks-Which-Tarp

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    My daughter and I sleep under the same Superfly. I use the eno spreader bars that hook onto any of our hammocks super easy. Typically I only need one, but it comes with two, which is nice. Up until about 3, she slept in the hammock with me. I agree with an enclosed zipper net to prevent rolling out. Some kids it's not an issue. My girl sleeps in all sorts of weird angles and it gives me piece of mind.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My kids seem to have trouble when they’re getting in and out of the hammock. I wouldn’t put my boys above me for that reason, it’s that much harder for me to help them into/out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    If you check out Bammacker’s YouTube video of his daughter’s first backpacpacking trip in the Sipsey Wilderness,there is a good shot of his setup at 2:02. https://youtu.be/Lp5ShecAZiA His Channel is Hang55. You might see more in some of the group hang videos he posted.

I’ve been there when he’s camped with his 7 yo daughter and when he’s camped with his barely 5 yo son. It worked well both times. His daughter is old enough now that at grouphangs, they set up two little girls bunked under the pink tarp and we get to listen to them giggle, it’s a wonderful thing!

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorRags View Post
    Im looking at getting my first hammock for this spring. Originally I planned on having my 6 year old sleep with me. I was talked out of this on Homemade Wanderlusts group and pointed here for better info.

So what Im looking for first is my tarp. Since my boy will be hung above me I imagine Ill need a bigger tarp. I like the idea of the Superfly with the doors, but would that work with two of us?

Any suggestions on the hang? I want an built in bug net. Ive tried out a Grand Trunk, but the bug net readily tore out the attachment points where it was attached to the ridgeline. With a bouncy boy, the setup will need to be... robust. Someone suggested the Blackbird.
    Ive got a experienced brother helping me out with woopies and other gear

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I went camping with my 6 yr old son using Beetle Buckles with a spreader bar and a 12x9.6 Chinook tarp from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052SXFXE/). There was a LOT of wind and rain on the second night, and we were fine.

tarp.jpg

tarp2.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast