Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTracks View Post
    Yes. But if you can't repair it after all and a cheap foam pad doesn't work, that could mean the end of the trip since you can't sleep in it without a pad. But maybe I just worry too much. Just saying that's what put me off it (together with weight and price). It doesn't need to be a show stopper for others.
    Worse case scenario you can ground sleep on the Amok and use duff and such to help bolster a busted pad if all attempts at repair fail.
    Or pack and go home.
    Such is the nature of a backpack trip.
    Improvising your way out of a situation is part of the game. Not the best part

Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    It’s not a backpacking hammock... it’s a car camping, or bike camping or kayak camping hammock...

I think you have to choose the right tool for the job.... and in every scenario I mentioned above, I always tend to bring a backup rig just in case ( or if someone else needs to borrow).

Gathered ends can tear, bridge poles can break, ground pads go flat...etc, etc...etc... I’ve also torn zippers out in tents, poked holes in tarps...set my sleeping bags on fire... man... I’m a walking disaster....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have backpacked with mine a few times. The AMOK XL is stripped down and has a bigger footbox and is no heavier than a Clark hammock. No problem totin' it. It's really fun to sit up in recline mode at camp.
    Watch me in camp with mine enjoying the woods at 26:58 in this video below. For sure worth the tote.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

THAT is exactly what tempted me with the Draumr! So cool!

Worse case scenario you can ground sleep on the Amok and use duff and such to help bolster a busted pad if all attempts at repair fail.
    Or pack and go home
    True. That will work for one night maybe. But if you are halfway through a two week trip and can't source or afford a replacement pad, that's sort of sad. The pack and go home part is really sad.

In my case I would also be on a cycle. I would have nothing to sleep in on my way home. I couldn't take my trike on a train or a bus, so I would need to pedal. As I said, that's MY reason. Sadly. It's truly one the most comfortable looking hammock I've seen. Under different circumstances maybe that's the one I would have bought.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    It’s not a backpacking hammock..
    weird, when so many of us backpack with a draumr

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTracks View Post
    i
    Anyway, I was tempted by Draumr. That it's flat and so easily adjusted when you are already in it made me drool a little. But then I saw this clip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vbcXY4lHBg.

I can't even tell you how much I hate this video

so much disinformation

sure, if you have a catastrophic pad failure you're screwed

but if that happens in ANY hammock, it's the same thing

But if you are halfway through a two week trip and can't source or afford a replacement pad, that's sort of sad. The pack and go home part is really sad.
    accidently drop your ferro rod into your gathered end and then sit on it? split the fabric and now it won't hold you at all! better not hike with a gathered end!

get your cinch buckles sideways (Cause it's dark, or tired, or whatever) and you shred your suspension? well now you can't hang your gathered end, better not hike with it!

etc, etc etc

any sleep system can have a catastrophic failure. your pad in a draumr is much less likely to have an issue compared to sleeping on the ground

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    I can't even tell you how much I hate this video

so much disinformation

sure, if you have a catastrophic pad failure you're screwed but if that happens in ANY hammock, it's the same thing...

...get your cinch buckles sideways (Cause it's dark, or tired, or whatever) and you shred your suspension?

...your pad in a draumr is much less likely to have an issue compared to sleeping on the ground
    Not seeing the disinfo. I'm sure you're a more savvy user, but this is just one person's interpretation of potential issues, nothing to hate here.

Yep, been there, done that with shredding the suspension. Actually, wasn't me, was a noob I was helping out by lending an extra set of buckles and straps and I guess he wasn't as detailed as I normally would be about making sure everything was straight in the buckle - plus, I didn't know it could do that. Shortly after he got in the hammock, he fell to the ground and you would not believe the huge 'fro' of strap material mounded on the ground. Fortunately, this was car camping and I had backup. I've since gone away from buckles for this reason.

Agreed that the pad is less likely to have an issue in the hammock than on the ground. I do think the pad is a little more susceptible to failure compared to a hammock simply because it must hold air, and would seem that there are many more potential fail points with a pad. My oldest hammock is 1.0 material that has holes in it. It still holds me, but of course I don't take it backpacking with me anymore. Just saying that while you're correct about the potential catastrophic failure of a hammock, I don't think its exactly the same potential as the pad. Still good to hear from actual users like yourself to allay fears that are often overblown.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    still figuring this out.
    Tarp
    2 ust tube modif
    Insulation
    halitosis & woobie
    Suspension
    eno straps,snake..
    Images
    It’s not a backpacking hammock... it’s a car camping, or bike camping or kayak camping hammock...

I think you have to choose the right tool for the job.... and in every scenario I mentioned above, I always tend to bring a backup rig just in case ( or if someone else needs to borrow).

Gathered ends can tear, bridge poles can break, ground pads go flat...etc, etc...etc... I’ve also torn zippers out in tents, poked holes in tarps...set my sleeping bags on fire... man... I’m a walking disaster....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’m right there with you FJRPilot. Had the zipper just slide right off my sleeping bag this last trip...along with many other equipment failures. I believe in redundancy in camping to a degree as well. One of the fun aspects of camping is figuring out things when something goes haywire.

Hammock
    still figuring this out.
    Tarp
    2 ust tube modif
    Insulation
    halitosis & woobie
    Suspension
    eno straps,snake..
    Images
    Shug’s suggestion makes a lot of since to me. You can take duff and even perhaps put a couple of longer sticks into the Draumr bound together for some rigidity in a pinch. Kind of like making a makeshift gurney, which is a good skill in and of itself. Just small enough to fit into the Draumr and the duff would make it mostly cushioned. Not optimal, but I actually enjoy those sorts of sceneries so it makes it even more compelling for me to try now.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by izdaman View Post
    Shug’s suggestion makes a lot of since to me. You can take duff and even perhaps put a couple of longer sticks into the Draumr bound together for some rigidity in a pinch. Kind of like making a makeshift gurney, which is a good skill in and of itself. Just small enough to fit into the Draumr and the duff would make it mostly cushioned. Not optimal, but I actually enjoy those sorts of sceneries so it makes it even more compelling for me to try now.
    I was actually talking about setting the AMOK up on the ground in this case. It works pretty good pitched on the ground and still using the bugnet is possible.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    weird, when so many of us backpack with a draumr
    I should have qualified my statement with a "IMHO"... I'm basically a wimp, trying to shed every extra pound that I can when hiking. I still use a GE because its the lightest setup that I own. I have no doubt the better hikers then me (pretty much everyone) can carry an Draumr, "No Problem". With that disclaimer out of the way, I love my Draumr.... Its far and away my favorite hammock.

I also mostly agree with your assessment of MM's video (Sorry Evan, still love you man..). I have a new XL scheduled to be delivered in April and I'm pretty excited about it. To the OP, if you buy a Draumr and don't like it... I will buy it from you... I'm tired of fighting my wife, son's and Grand kids for the Draumr that I currently own :-)
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123