Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by izdaman View Post
    Hey Shug, do you think the superfly provides better coverage?
    Just different coverage.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    As a side sleeper, I really want to try this hammock, but funds are always an issue and I would hate to buy it and it not work out. So for all of you that have tried one I would love to hear your thoughts. Some of my biggest questions are:

1. since you can't use an underquilt, how does the pad work with temps around zero degrees?
    I spent months researching online and in-store, trying to choose a pad for side-sleeping use in my bridge hammock, which, based upon my research and experience, would probably share at least some similarities with use in a Draumr. Especially the width, length & rigidity, as discussed in the video that was posted.

Past experience included:
    1) Thermarest RidgeRest foam pad - too floppy/not enough structure.
    RidgeRest.jpg
    2) 90's era original Thermarest self-inflating pad - better, but too narrow at 20", causing my shoulders/elbows/knees/butt to touch the sides of the hammock and get cold.
    Original Thermarest.JPG
    3) Borrowed Thermarest Base Camp - similar to #2, but thicker and 25" wide with a 5.8 R-Value, making it good to about -10°F (see attached chart below). After using this pad, I decided 25" width rectangular shape was the way to go for my particular hammock (REI Quarter Dome Air bridge).

r-valuetemprating.jpg

New pad criteria:
    1) True 4 season temperature rating.
    2) Lightweight & compact enough to use for backpacking.
    3) 25" wide, and rectangular shape for my preferred sleeping surface.
    4) Durability.

Other pads came close, but the pad that best met all of my criteria was the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm Max.
    DSCF4383.jpgDSCF4385.jpg

XTherm Max experience:
    - 10 or so nights - 6 of them on a 60 mile backpack trip.
    - Low temps of 13°F & 21°F without feeling like I needed any extra under-insulation. R-Value is 5.7, so it should be good to around -10°F... so far, so good.
    - After using the pad only partially inflated for the first 4 nights of the backpack trip, I was too cold one night and found that it seems to perform better fully inflated. Now I max it out, which is a bit more tippy in the bridge, but performs better in cold temps.
    - As a side-sleeper who constantly switches sides all night, it creates a nice wide and high platform to sleep on when fully inflated. I can side sleep in the fetal position without my arms, knees or butt touching the sides of the hammock or coming off the pad. The horizontal baffles seem to do a good job of keeping the pad from wrapping around me. I guess I'm more of an "air-bed" guy than a true hammock guy.

Cons:
    1) Expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    2) At first it can be noisy, especially when under-inflated. However, it has gotten less noisy with use, and I don't notice it anymore.
    3) There is no regular-length wide option as some other brands have. At 5'9", I don't need the extra length.
    4) Takes a long time to inflate and deflate. Especially the long/wide max version.

Unknowns:
    - I would still like to try a pad with vertical baffles such as the Exped DownMat 9 LW. Who knows, vertical baffles may be better for me? Even though the XTherm is fairly rigid, especially fully inflated, it occasionally takes some on-mat position adjusting to get the flattest lay and avoid length-wise banana-ing.
    - XTherm uses reflective "ThermaCapture" layers for insulation rather than down or synthetic insulation inside the pad. Rumor has it that this system performs better on the ground than in the air, but I have no idea. Nor do I know if down or synthetic insulated pads would perform better in the air than the reflective insulation of the XTherm.
    - My only experience using the XTherm in warmer temps was a couple of hours day lounging/napping with temps in the mid-90s. I was hot and uncomfortable, but I blame it more on my tarp not proving adequate shade. It was just plain hot. I don't feel like the pad was the culprit.

Other considerations:
    - There are so, so many pads I haven't had the opportunity to try... I don't know if I got the perfect pad for me, or if such a thing even exists.
    - I found the Paria Outdoor Products RECHARGE XL INSULATED SLEEPING PAD after purchasing the XTherm. It's only 3oz heavier, 4.7 R-Value compared to 5.7 on the XTherm, and 23" rather than 25" wide, but for well under half the cost! Could be an option worth considering.

Good luck with your search!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    @509-T203-KG. I like that bridge hammock. Is that home made?

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer003 View Post
    @509-T203-KG. I like that bridge hammock. Is that home made?
    No, it’s the REI Quarter Dome Air Hammock, 1st generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I think that the Exped Downmat 9 LW will be your warmest option for the Draumr. I’ve played with trying to hang an under-quilt under the pad that comes with it. But it’s awfully fiddly and hard to rig.

I also played around with building a custom UQ that would exactly fit the hammocks profile. While doable, it would only work with the Draumr and I’ve become somewhat opposed to “single use” gear.

I’ve even mocked up “wings” to insulate the sides of the Draumr to keep me from touching cold spots at night (these actually work pretty well)., but they will not get you down to temps lower then the pad you use is rated for.

Regarding tarps, I’ve used almost ever tarp I own with my Draumr and they all work. As Shug has said, their all different, not necessarily “better”. All my tarps come rigged with “skins” and they have all worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

izdaman, I'm also a side sleeper. I've just got my first hammock and haven't even tested it yet, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. Keep that in mind. ;-)

Anyway, I was tempted by Draumr. That it's flat and so easily adjusted when you are already in it made me drool a little. But then I saw this clip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vbcXY4lHBg
    Seems Draumr works only with select pads and works best with Amok's own. The part that put me off was that it doesn't work at all without an inflatable pad. So what if my pad punctures? Ok, there are repair kits, but what if it doesn't work? A cheap foam pad can be picked up almost anywhere as a replacement but it won't work with Draumr. Together with weight and price that made me decide against it. Also don't like the small foot box. But it sure does look comfy!

If I was traveling by car or motorcycle it would still be on my list, but I'm not.

Hammock
    still figuring this out.
    Tarp
    2 ust tube modif
    Insulation
    halitosis & woobie
    Suspension
    eno straps,snake..
    Images
    Wow! Thanks for all this info. It is going to take me some time to work through everything you have collaboratly told me. I really appreciate.

509-T203-KG, please keep me posted on your continued discovers. It sounds like we are similar sleepers.

FJRPilot, I hate single use items too and am not a fan. I appreciate both your and shug’s input on it being different. Makes me want to get multiple tarps but I am so limited on funds. It would be great if there was a hammock expo where all of these different products could be put on display for people to touch and see up close.

ThreeTracks, I hadn’t considered the punctured angle AT ALL. And many places I camp have thorns, thistles and wayward knives that could cause problems. Anyhow, I bet that issue mostly has an easy remedy but I will certainly research it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow! Thanks for all this info. It is going to take me some time to work through everything you have collaboratly told me. I really appreciate.

509-T203-KG, please keep me posted on your continued discovers. It sounds like we are similar sleepers.

FJRPilot, I hate single use items too and am not a fan. I appreciate both your and shug’s input on it being different. Makes me want to get multiple tarps but I am so limited on funds. It would be great if there was a hammock expo where all of these different products could be put on display for people to touch and see up close.

ThreeTracks, I hadn’t considered the punctured angle AT ALL. And many places I camp have thorns, thistles and wayward knives that could cause problems. Anyhow, I bet that issue mostly has an easy remedy but I will certainly research it.
    Their pads come with a repair kit. Same as pads on ground...they can puncture. So care need to be taken as with any inflatable pad.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Yes. But if you can't repair it after all and a cheap foam pad doesn't work, that could mean the end of the trip since you can't sleep in it without a pad. But maybe I just worry too much. Just saying that's what put me off it (together with weight and price). It doesn't need to be a show stopper for others.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTracks View Post
    Yes. But if you can't repair it after all and a cheap foam pad doesn't work, that could mean the end of the trip since you can't sleep in it without a pad. But maybe I just worry too much. Just saying that's what put me off it (together with weight and price). It doesn't need to be a show stopper for others.
    It’s not a backpacking hammock... it’s a car camping, or bike camping or kayak camping hammock...

I think you have to choose the right tool for the job.... and in every scenario I mentioned above, I always tend to bring a backup rig just in case ( or if someone else needs to borrow).

Gathered ends can tear, bridge poles can break, ground pads go flat...etc, etc...etc... I’ve also torn zippers out in tents, poked holes in tarps...set my sleeping bags on fire... man... I’m a walking disaster....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast