Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Laying in my 90 deg with a Nemo Cosmo now. Not sure why I never tried it before, but it's pretty good. Maybe better than the exped I've been using. The tubes laying short ways really spreads the hammock out. Think I'll be sleeping here tonight
    The other unexpected benefit is that the tubes bend when getting out, which makes it so much easier. Put legs down, stand up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Laying in my 90 deg with a Nemo Cosmo now. Not sure why I never tried it before, but it's pretty good. Maybe better than the exped I've been using. The tubes laying short ways really spreads the hammock out. Think I'll be sleeping here tonight
    The other unexpected benefit is that the tubes bend when getting out, which makes it so much easier. Put legs down, stand up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I know what you mean about the end folding up, I have been using a NeoAir All Season, and it is similar. Looks like that thick pad(3.5"? ) really fills up that pad pocket, compared to my NeoAir which is only 2.5" thick. Is that pad insulated?

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I know what you mean about the end folding up, I have been using a NeoAir All Season, and it is similar. Looks like that thick pad(3.5"? ) really fills up that pad pocket, compared to my NeoAir which is only 2.5" thick. Is that pad insulated?
    Insulated. Yes. It's very warm. It fits, but barely. Until I just read what you wrote I didn't think about it, but I wonder if its too much for the pocket? I don't want to stress this amazing hammock. It's a prototype of ver 2 so would be very expensive to replace!

Is your thermarest crinkly? I hate those loud thermarest mattresses that sound like you stepped on a bag of potato chips, but would definitely consider one otherwise. This Nemo is great, but packs larger than I like thanks to the integrated pump.
    Last edited by Jimswms; 03-01-2019 at 19:15.

Images
    Insulated. Yes. It's very warm. It fits, but barely. Until I just read what you wrote I didn't think about it, but I wonder if its too much for the pocket? I don't want to stress this amazing hammock. It's a prototype of ver 2 so would be very expensive to replace!

Is your thermarest crinkly? I hate those loud thermarest mattresses that sound like you stepped on a bag of potato chips, but would definitely consider one otherwise. This Nemo is great, but packs larger than I like thanks to the integrated pump.
    You know, it probably is noisy but I just have not noticed. I'll have to try and pay attention next time I am on it. I just read someone's opinion that the All Seasons were not as noisy as the other NeoAirs, but I don't know. Also, perhaps the newer models are improved in that regard?

It has a lot of warmth(R value 4.9) for only 2.5" thickness and for the weight. The X therm has even more warmth- 5.7 R value- but somehow they do that with no increase in thickness, or I guess, weight. How did they do that? Anyway, for this hammock I would rather have more thickness, even if no increase in R value. They say that as a pad becomes less thick than the 3" recommended, my weight will not be quite as solid on the pa, being supported some by the hammock, not allowing full pressure on the pad. This cab be most easily demonstrated by putting a 1/2" thick closed cell foam pad in there. I realize one way to overcome that is to place a puffy jacket on top of the pad. Which will also negate any problems with cold air getting in along the pad's baffles. But I'd rather just have a thick enough pad.
    But, 2.5" is the thickest one I have. I have added a 20" wide, 1/2" CCF pa just to fill it up a bit more, or added a puffy.

That pad pocket is meant for max (200 x 64 x 7 cm / 79'' x 25'' x 3'') pads. How wide is your Cosmo pad? If concerned about the thickness, you could just not inflate it fully. Another reason I'd rather have the thicker pad.

Images
    Also, I figured this would become more likely with a pad not as thick as the pad pocket will accommodate: "Pads inside the pad-sleeve may not always sufficiently insulate your bottom in cold temperatures. The reason for this is that your body is not pressed as tightly against it as it would be lying directly on the pad. Therefore some cold air may circulate along baffles and the edges of the pad. Remedies for this are: Only lightly inflate the pad to make it conform better to your body, and combine it with some lofty insulation material (quilt, down jacket)."

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    As you know BillyBob, I've been laying directly on my fully inflated pad in my bridge, so I can't speak to the pad-pocket-gap dilemma. I have experimented on two separate occasions with a supplemental secondary under insulation:

1) Foam pad laid across for shoulder/arm protection from the sides & Wool blanket laid over all - this was a year ago, so my memory is limited, but:

IMG_0890.jpgIMG_0892.jpg

• Forecast - 10°F (not sure of actual)
    • Pad - REI Camp Bed (borrowed) - R-Value =6.0!
    • Top insulation - 15°F mummy bag (borrowed)
    • I think I wore plenty of extra clothing layers

I was warm enough. Unfortunately I don't remember getting a good sense of how much of a difference the extra foam pad and wool blanket made... cool story, bro. I have a feeling the wool blanket likely did some good. I'd like to test this again.

2) Costco Down Throw laid over pad - this one, to me, seemed pretty useless.

IMG_2289.jpg

I still want to try a foam pad, directly on the air pad, as well as a piece of Reflectix directly on the air pad.

It's nice not having to worry about the gap from the pad pocket, but the trade-off is that I have to be more careful/calculated in my movements to prevent the pad from moving from it's best position inside the bridge. I've been brainstorming a fix for this... sew two 1" or so wide straps (material? elastic?) to the hammock, one towards the head, and one towards the foot to hold the pad in place. Or partial (1' long?) pad pockets at the head and foot. Anyhow, good luck with your quest and testing!

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    The tubes laying short ways really spreads the hammock out.
    I also find this to be true with my NeoAir XTherm MAX, however I'm still curious as to how a pad with longitudinal baffles would feel/perform.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks BillyBob58 and Jimswms for posting your experiences with sleeping pads with horizontal baffles in a 90* hammock. Very interesting to hear the 3.5" pad worked in the pad pocket. I'm considering switching from a ridge runner to the 90*. I want a smaller packed size and lighter weight. Along those lines, are people using a long wide pad or a medium wide pad for the 90* hammock? I'm under 6' and would prefer a medium length pad, but was uncertain about the differences of medium versus long pads in the 90* hammock.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by 509-T203-KG View Post
    I also find this to be true with my NeoAir XTherm MAX, however I'm still curious as to how a pad with longitudinal baffles would feel/perform.
    Personally, my experiences when I used pads was that the longitudinal pads did a better job in the 90* because it keeps the hammock stretched out. The horizontal tubes may do a wee bit better job for side spread, but I thought the trade off wasn't worth it. That is comparing the XThem Max to the Exped MW Downmat and Synmats. I did find a NeoAir Trekker torso wide worked well for minimizing pack weight and bulk by using a CCF foot pad or clothing with the Trekker. I have a short Downmat 7 to use in lieu of the Trekker, but the short Downmat isn't as wide as the Trekker.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by dstenberg1 View Post
    Thanks BillyBob58 and Jimswms for posting your experiences with sleeping pads with horizontal baffles in a 90* hammock. Very interesting to hear the 3.5" pad worked in the pad pocket. I'm considering switching from a ridge runner to the 90*. I want a smaller packed size and lighter weight. Along those lines, are people using a long wide pad or a medium wide pad for the 90* hammock? I'm under 6' and would prefer a medium length pad, but was uncertain about the differences of medium versus long pads in the 90* hammock.
    I have had quite a few pads that I experimented with in the 90*. I finally decided that if I was going to use a pad a MW worked better than a LW for me at 6 foot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast