Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Draft Collar on Top Quilt?

Just looking at buying a 10° top quilt and am wondering if anyone here has a quilt with a draft collar? In my cold weather sleeping bags I find them super valuable but not so sure I would need one on a top quilt in the hammock... I would be using it in spring, fall and winter here in Ontario (for extreme cold I'll use my Feathered Friends sleeping bag). Not sure if they would make the quilt too bulky and cumbersome around the neck in a hammock...

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Funny you ask... I hung in the back yard last night and because of the bulk under my chin and in front of my mouth, I actually thought "I'm glad my TQ's don't have draft collars!".

When it gets cold enough that drafts coming in thru the top may be an issue, I just wear my buff as a neckwarmer. Seals things up perfectly.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Just looking at buying a 10° top quilt and am wondering if anyone here has a quilt with a draft collar? In my cold weather sleeping bags I find them super valuable but not so sure I would need one on a top quilt in the hammock... I would be using it in spring, fall and winter here in Ontario (for extreme cold I'll use my Feathered Friends sleeping bag). Not sure if they would make the quilt too bulky and cumbersome around the neck in a hammock...

Thanks!
    Yeah you want it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Personally I don't find the need for them. We offer them at Loco Libre Gear because some folks transitioning from a sleeping bag insist on having one. I usually try to talk them out of it, but at the end of the day it's the customers choice.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks guys. I find that the hammock and underquilts seem to wrap around the body so much better then sleeping on the ground that I don't really think I'd need the bulk of the collar.... but before I pull the trigger I figured I'd see if others had any opinion... Thanks again!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    It's a real personal thing. I love the one on my sleeping bag (that I very rarely ever use now) but can't imagine the extra bulk and weight of one on my top quilts.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    I have one of George's quilts and love it. My wife's Wilderness Logistics quilt doesn't have it or a cinch/snap thus allowing the warm air out very easily. It really is a personal preference though. The draft collars and non-tapered foot box (I have big feet) are major reason's why I prefer George's quilts over some other manufacturers.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG Top/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I personally don't like the draft collar on mine although have not gone down to the quilts temp rating, so drafts havent been a huge issue. I feel like there is too bulk in the neck area with it.

Images
    I have an extra long quilt just so i can snuggle it up around the chin area. It doesn't need a special collar thingy.

Images
    My quilts have draw strings and snaps(or I have added the Kam Snaps) allowing me to cinch snugly around my neck. Combined with my JRB hood, this stops drafts about as good as any sleeping bag with collar I have used.

But about the best I have used is the Sierra Madre 30F Inferno TQ with built in hood. You can either use it as a hood, or just pull the hood down as a neck muff. Sometimes I still slightly prefer a separate hood for side sleeping, but the SMR fits all the way around the shoulders to the back. It is a solid layer of fabric and down from the hood/back of head across the shoulders. There is no hint of a leak or draft with that system, even without cinching anything down. I really like it, especially if I am at or below the temp rating.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast