Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Well shoot, I was thinking of getting a draft collar when I ordered a LL quilt but now I'm second guessing myself... Love to hear more opinions. Great thread.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a 40* without and a 20* with a draft collar. Personally I like it on the colder weather TQ but I think I'm in the minority here. I find it gives the head end some more substance when things are chilly.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    First I do not want anything tied or snapped around my neck!

I sleep cold and at this stagw in life I hate cold spots.

I like to DIY. I like my gear to fit and I just like to make my personal items. I make a draft collar around part of my TQ. My draft collar is a 6 - 8 inch wide flap of hemmed fabric left over from the top layer of the TQ. These light flaps stop any air leaks and they do not get in my way. My UQ & TQ form a seal, no air leaks unless I hang some bosy parts out to cool.

I have a TQ with a down draft collar, for me it is a P.I.T.A. that comment is just my take on filled draft collars. I am sure other people like theirs.

Images
    What a coincidence! I was just reading this other thread about a recent Sipsey trip. Seems related to this thread Apparently 0*F quilts were used and cold was experienced way above that:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rt-Hike-Report
    It was a light rain and dropped down to 35°F on friday night and raised to a whopping 47°F on saturday night. We intended to test my wife's gear this weekend. My wife went to bed before me and was shivering when the temp hit 47°F. Being unfamiliar with quilts in general and cold didn't help with her responses when I asked what was the issue so that I could remedy it. "I'm just freezing" doesn't cut it lol. I made the mistake of telling her to lay in my hammock to warm up while I tested hers and figured it out. She was asleep in five minutes and remained there until sunday morning dubbing the quilts "The evil Brown Monster" that sucked her in and wouldn't let go

The problem with her set up was the lack of a draw cord or snaps at the head of the top quilt. It was allowing all of the warm air to escape. This compiled with it's narrow (simply not a wide version) width kept her from tucking it in around her due to her "size"

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have a down hat I sometimes wear. I always wear a Buff (my hair mats if I do not keep it corraled). I have a down hood that comes down around my shoulders. I have a TI computer in one shoulder, I NEVER let my left shoulder get cool let alone cold. With my flap of fabric and down air leaks automatically seal when I move. Plus if the normal seal is not enough I easily tuck in the breeze stopper, hammocks are easy, ground is a bit difficult.

I guess I am a Nervous Nilly things secured around my neck make me nervous. I hate hats but I do wear them when it is cold. A huge percent of body heat is lost through the top of a human's head.

For my needs the tube around the quilt did not offer muxh help against heat loss. My flaps lightly seal and give a nixe gentle seal.

We each have different needs so whatever work for the individual.

Some of my adversion to things around my neck is I want to be able to movw swidtly if need be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12