WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have velcro on my DIY Winter tarp and never had too much trouble with the velcro snagging me. But I roll up my doors at my entrance. Usually wearing a down jacket so velcro does not snag on nylon.
    Used nylon Gutterman thread to sew all my tarp.
    Shug

Shug, a big Thank You for this. I've watched the video several times. Has lasted 7 years? OK. Looks and works good enough for me -- everything about it well thought out. Including the small details such as the pull tabs. What I envisioned was the velcro is either bonded when closed, or rolled inwardly and tied back not exposed, same as you do. So I doubt I'll have snagging on it and my gear is smooth stuff like your jacket. It can get some debris on it and still work as I have Velcro on other gear and shoes. I'll try it and see. I already have that same Gutermann thread, use it for hand stitching. (I'd wondered if polyester would be better.) I really prefer to avoid zippers and you've certainly made it work. Makes me eager to start practicing more on my machine. Thanks again.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I've got a nice WL Bullfrog that has Velcro closures on the doors. One thing I do not like about the Velcro is that it is loud. Nothing like opening that thing up in the middle of a silent night... Ssshhhhccccccrreeeee!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    As for the suspension hole, just end your zipper before you get up to the top of the tarp to leave a hole.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    As for the suspension hole, just end your zipper before you get up to the top of the tarp to leave a hole.

Thanks Banjoman. A good idea. It wouldn't have to be a very large hole. Sometimes I miss the obvious by overthinking things. But that same habit often makes first drafts work out fine more often than not. If rain or snow came in I could just stuff my microfiber towel in it. Simple.

I'm now thinking of putting the zipper on my second Noah's 16 tarp. With two tarps, I'll get to see which I like better.

As you said, Velcro makes a loud sound when pulled open, but that wouldn't bother me, any more than fingernails on a chalkboard does. And I don't hang where others would be bothered. Unless I need to tighten tieouts in the middle of the night, which is rarely, I don't go outside during those frequent night summons that we old gents get. What does make me wake up sometimes is the packs of coyotes here in my woods or across the road that do their howlings. And one time a bear yelling "I am here" close enough to hit with a snowball. Coyotes have many different vocal sounds, different from wolves, and the ones I like best are very close to the laughing hyenas on nature programs. One pack gets going, then another a half mile away, then others. Very entertaining and one of the joys of living away from towns.

BTW, for those who do have to get out of the hammock at night to "return their water to the earth," there's a lightweight detergent bottle much better than Tide bottles or others I've tried, for a "Gentleman's Helper." And you don't need to cut anything out of it to remove the spout with a soldering gun, as with Tide bottles with. Just pull the pour spout out with pliers and you're good to go.

The 50 ounce Purex "Free and Clear" detergent bottle -- it has a larger opening than most and has the most rectangular, non-tippy base I've found yet. These are great for tents, boats, private aircraft, anywhere you don't or can't walk to a toilet or have to walk upstairs or downstairs.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    skip the velcro and go with some omni-tape.

Much less sticky to other stuff yet provides enough grip to get the job done
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Images
    There was a thread about a year ago with folks adding snaps to tarp doors with good results. Everyone was surprised how strong they were. It would much simpler and lighter.

If the gaps are a concern, simply alternate which side you install each snap (inside/outside) and gaps disappear.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    There was a thread about a year ago with folks adding snaps to tarp doors with good results. Everyone was surprised how strong they were. It would much simpler and lighter.

If the gaps are a concern, simply alternate which side you install each snap (inside/outside) and gaps disappear.
    I like this solution also, with enough snaps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12