XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Wooki 20° vs 14° temperature

I have been testing my Warbonnet XLC to get a feel for what it will do for me.
    Last night I slept from 10 pm (temp 23) until 730 am (temp 14) in the XLC with top cover zipped to hammock, underquilt protector hanging under Wooki 20xl.
    I had EE Revelation 20 that I used for 700 miles, 60 days on the AT this past spring. I am very familiar with this quilt and it’s limits for my sleeping needs.

Wearing
    Smartwool150 pants,
    Darn tough mountaineering socks
    Patagonia thermal weight shirt
    Icebreaker balaclava
    Patagonia glade beanie.

I used a gossamer gear thinlight pad under my legs when I was in fetal position. But just for that small area where the knee is off the Wooki when side sleeping.

I used a Rab Neutrino (2016 model) over my top quilt from 430 am until I woke up.
    Legs and feet were fine all night with a little chill from above, but none from below.
    There was a steady 8-10 mph breeze, with gusts occasionally rocking the Superfly.

I had no condensation issues and Wooki handled the low temp like a champ.

I almost got the Wooki 0°, but am super happy with the 20° for East TN weather.

Testing will continue.
    Last edited by Jebediah; 01-21-2019 at 14:52. Reason: Typing as usual

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    PS
    A shout out to Shug for his Updated XLC video. That video made internet shopping feel like an in store, hands on experience. He really shows the details of the XLC in that video and his effort is greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a wookie 40* and 0* and love them both. If there is one thing I could change it would be to make them wider by one or two baffles to better accommodate side sleeping and different leg positions. I hate CKS (Cold Knee Syndrome) . As for ratings, I found the 40 starts to peter out for me at 35* and I'm still testing the 0* lower limits.

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Thanks for the review. I’ve had my 20 degree Wooki in the high teens a couple of times, with somewhat different results. One night was low of 17 w/ no wind, 50% humidity. Woke up with a chilly buttock ��. Got up and shifted some of the down to the lower/middle, climbed back in and was fine. That was around 3:00 am.

Second night was low of 19 w/ 5-10 mph wind, 20% humidity. I had a 2QZQ underquilt protector, and I made sure the down was nice and fluffy where my buttocks would be before I went to bed. I slept through the night.

I now have confidence in my Wooki at and slightly below the rating, but I take all the other weather variables into consideration as well.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Good info baldknobber. I experience a similar downshift a few nights back. It was very obvious on the buttocks, as you stated. I don’t count grams much, but I would have gotten an ounce of overstuff if I had thought about the shift possibility.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I just got in from setting up in the dark again. Side note...if you don’t like red Light at night, try green. I used the green on my BD Storm headlamp and liked it a lot. Too much red in military I guess.

So tonight will be 18°. Another good test for the Wooki.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Last night was 18°. Same setup. Same results. I am thinking that the topcover and underquilt protector are good to go. I had no condensation at 14° And windy and a small amount on the topcover at 18° With no wind.

The Wooki 20 did what I needed.

This is a nice, out the box, no fiddle-factor setup. Plug and play just like I like it.

I did change my suspension a little for last nights test and used a Marlin Spike/toggle instead of the carabiner to connect my whoopie to the tree strap. It was quick and easy. A good thing to know. Not sure where I saw it, but credit to whoever it was.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Thanks Jebediah. I'm trying to decide which quilt(s) to purchase and this is super helpful.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks Sparce Hackle. I just did 3 nights backpacking in Citico Wilderness with my Warbonnet setup and was very pleased with the results.
    It’s nice to be able to get high quality gear and be able to use it right out of the box. For me that is a 5 of 5 rating.

• + New Posts