Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Ridge length will impact coverage head and foot for sure, but maybe less so as far as side coverage. Standard width versus wide/XL is the deciding factor for side coverage.

Ridge length is far more a factor in tree selection.

My Holy Grail tarp is an 11, wide in DCF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I disagree about side coverage. The bottom picture in this set of diagrams is not accurate because it shows all 3 tarps ending at the same bottom point. In reality, if you hang a tarp higher, the bottom will be higher.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Agree on anything longer than 11ft (for an 11ft hammock of course) being a waste as you will indeed have to pitch the tarp high to clear the hammock suspension. Also consider this...These tarps taper down since they're shaped like a hexagon, and so by the time you raise the tarp to clear your straps, you still end up with the same amount of end coverage as you would've with the 11 footer which is basically a foot on either end of the hammock. This is all assuming that you hang your hammock properly by aiming for the proper 30 degree hang angle.

I'm also not working off assumptions; the first hammock tarp I made was the 12 ft winter tarp kit from RBTR. When I made my second tarp (dyneema) going down to 11' was a no-brainer after seeing the wasted length on the 12' tarp.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I disagree about side coverage. The bottom picture in this set of diagrams is not accurate because it shows all 3 tarps ending at the same bottom point. In reality, if you hang a tarp higher, the bottom will be higher.

I agree with mychal. The overlapping tarp comparison indicates that the tarp width increases with ridgeline increases. This is not the case....

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I like the extra coverage of the larger tarp because there is often more to cover than just the hammock. And I like the extra coverage on the ends because it makes the setup less critical. But I don't like that fact that the longer tarp is going to required trees further apart. If there is some way to change the laws of physics so I can put a 12 or 13 foot tarp between trees that just accommodate a 10 ft hammock, that would be great. Hum, I've been thinking only horizontally. If I angled the tarp I could get the required ridge line length with trees closer together. If there was only some way to change the laws of physics so I could instantly grow to seven foot tall, then shrink back down to my regular size to fit in the 10 or 11 ft hammock.

I don't mind the tarp a little higher as long as the sides give necessary coverage. It is nice not to have to duck under things. I usually keep at least one end in porch mode. In addition to not having to crawl on my hands and knees like companion tent campers, at 5 foot and change, I seldom have to duck when in Porch mode. I use telescoping poles rather than hiking poles because I am more often kayaking than hiking. But one telescoping pole doesn't weigh much more than a hiking pole; a normal one, not carbon fiber.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Was thinking the same. But if you make sure to use a longer tarp that is also wider, then you could minimize the side coverage loss. Moral of the story is, get a wider tarp if you plan on using it with a much shorter hammock.

........nm
    Last edited by Levi Tate; 01-24-2019 at 06:49.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    ...As for 11' vs 12', I went with 12' as a new hanger and don't exactly regret it... or rephrashing, only rarely wish it was a foot shorter for a tight tree hang. 11 ft also matches your hammock straps a little better. With 12ft, your suspension can run up against the tarp in some situations. No deal breaker, but the 11ft would better avoid contact between the tarp and your hammock suspension. Outside of that, the extra overhang is nice whether the doors are open or closed. It provides extra 'vestibule' space for hanging gear and a margin of protection in horizontal rain conditions. If I had to do it over again, an 11ft would be fine...
    Completely agree with this. I started with a 12' Toxaway, one of the first 12' tarps available. The extra 6 inches on each side is minimal, but nice to have. I don't know if it has to do with the tarp or just that I love more open space, but I've always hung my tarps high, so I've never really had much issue with the extra foot and suspension coming together. The Tox is a wide tarp so that I can still get it close to the ground if needed. Had doors put on and when I did that, I realized the extra foot was not needed, but did make for a very relaxed interior - especially since the 2QZQ doors make more of a vestibule than most other winter tarp doors. If I were doing it all over again, which I plan to do once I can decide on a print, I'd go with 11' simply to minimize the potential issues with the suspension and tree distance. There truly isn't a need for additional length for an 11' tarp with doors over an 11' hammock.

Your point about the chart is valid, however, I'd point out that coverage difference is negligible. If you're hanging higher, its easier to hang steeper to make up that distance. Or, if you're like me and always have a side up in porch mode, there is no difference in width coverage.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I'm planning a DIY 12' tarp with an extra set of Beastee-Dees to allow for it to be hung at 11' when needed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Actually.. given that the image was taken out of its' original context, your comment is correct.

The idea was that as the tarp gets longer, it has to get wider to provide the same coverage to the ground.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I'm with Silvr Surfer on this issue-the HG Standard cuben simply is not quite enough tarp.I have one,glad I have never had it in windy rain.My WB Superfly 11 ft 20d is plenty adequate.I would not rule out a 12 ft cuben Winter Palace though if cost were not a concern.That extra foot in length means there is more dry floor space around your hammock and cuts down on the claustrophobia if you know what I mean.I would get a camo Winter Palace if I were in the market for one as I really don't like the translucent nature of the standard cuben color.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast