Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've never had any issues getting wet with my 11 foot standard with doors, using my 10 foot hammock, which is my typical late spring to early fall setup. Been through some nasty thunderstorms with high winds over the last 3 seasons. This pic was taken the morning after a particular bad rain/windstorm this past fall. The trees were swaying all night and I ended up trying to sleep with my headlamp and glasses on, in case I had to GTG.
    Last edited by michigandave; 01-21-2019 at 15:47.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Sounds like everyone is using a tarp that’s a foot longer than their hammock. I just hate not having the side covering with a tarp a foot longer than my hammock compared to what I’d get for a tarp of the same length. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wvumountaineer52 View Post
    What’s everyone’s thoughts on a 12 vs 11 ft ridge-line for an 11 ft Chameleon hammock? Is the extra length worth the weight & cost?
    I just don't understand why 12 ft. tarps have become popular for 11 ft. hammocks. It's just more weight to me, and totally unnecessary.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I just don't understand why 12 ft. tarps have become popular for 11 ft. hammocks. It's just more weight to me, and totally unnecessary.
    So you had a standard 11 foot tarp with doors and an 11 foot hammock but you upgraded to an 11 foot winter palace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wvumountaineer52 View Post
    So you had a standard 11 foot tarp with doors and an 11 foot hammock but you upgraded to an 11 foot winter palace?
    Yes - I see no reason to get a 12 ft. tarp for an 11 ft. hammock when an 11 ft. tarp provides good coverage. The tarp vendors have only started offering 12 ft. tarps in the last two or three years.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    I have a UGQ Winter Dream 12' w/ end pole mods from UGQ.
    Like you, for the added weight, the doors (and even the end pole mods) are minuscule penalties for the comfort they afford. I like doors! I can go from wide open vistas to oh chit it's storming like crazy in seconds. The end pole mods enable 'porch mode' w/o use of trekking poles (which I don't use) or rounding up sticks. Whether it's UGQ's, a SuperFly or HG's w/ doors, or Simply Light or others, you cannot go wrong.

As for 11' vs 12', I went with 12' as a new hanger and don't exactly regret it... or rephrashing, only rarely wish it was a foot shorter for a tight tree hang. 11 ft also matches your hammock straps a little better. With 12ft, your suspension can run up against the tarp in some situations. No deal breaker, but the 11ft would better avoid contact between the tarp and your hammock suspension. Outside of that, the extra overhang is nice whether the doors are open or closed. It provides extra 'vestibule' space for hanging gear and a margin of protection in horizontal rain conditions. If I had to do it over again, an 11ft would be fine.

I tried an 11' hex tarp and could never get the hang of keeping dry in all but vertical rains. Sold it. Don't regret it.

Good Luck w/ your decision.

22042247_1851431354871161_2288528450794259956_o.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch netless 11'
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF w/door
    Insulation
    EE top HG UQ
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    I have the HG standard tarp with doors, and the Warbonnet Superfly (11ft), which is very similar to the Winter Palace. To your first question, either the standard or winter palace offers a significant step up in coverage from a hex tarp - the doors really make a big difference. I find the standard to be quite adequate, and only really use the larger tarp for car camping or in the backyard.

With respect to ridgeline length, I find 11' to be quite adequate for an 11' hammock. A 12' ridgeline might impose some interference with your hammock straps, if you choose to hang at a traditional, 30 degree angle.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Yes - I see no reason to get a 12 ft. tarp for an 11 ft. hammock when an 11 ft. tarp provides good coverage. The tarp vendors have only started offering 12 ft. tarps in the last two or three years.
    I tend to agree with SS here. WVU, this might be what you meant by "side covering" a couple posts back, but keep in mind that you need to hang a 12' tarp a little higher than an 11' tarp with an 11' hammock, to clear the hammock suspension, so the tarp sides will be a little higher off the ground.

In addition to the extra weight, this is the other reason I don't use a 12' winter tarp with an 11' hammock.

That side coverage (and privacy on scout camping trips) is important to me, and that's why I'd choose the Palace over the Standard.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Ridge length will impact coverage head and foot for sure, but maybe less so as far as side coverage. Standard width versus wide/XL is the deciding factor for side coverage.

Ridge length is far more a factor in tree selection.

My Holy Grail tarp is an 11, wide in DCF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    Like Mikekim said, it is not hammock length to consider with tarp size, but ridge length. An 11 foot hammock with a typical ridge line is only a bit over 9 feet in length. Easy coverage for an 11 foot tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast