Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Hi Marcva, and welcome to Hammock Forums!

I filled the gap by wrapping the 3/4" ends with a spiral of 16 gauge bare wire (Home Depot, less than $2 for a 10 ft coil in a little bag) and glued it in place with epoxy (I think I used JB-Weld). The wire coil doesn't need to cover the entire surface of the inserted end. Each of my wire "fillers" looks like a stretched-out spring, about 3" long with about 6 wraps that fit snugly around the emt. It's a perfect fit, and it's holding up well after many uses.

Wishing you & your daughter joy making and using your new stands!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcva View Post
    New member here. I've been researching a 3 piece project similar to yours and was thinking that a combination of duct tape and truck bed liner spray from home depot might work to fill the gap between the 3/4" and 1" conduits with more durability than shrink wrap. the thickness is not as predicable, but the durability should be better than that or plasti dip.

I hope to start into my build with my daughter (family scout) next week.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your write up.
    I did not use any "Filler" material. I got the sized tubing I needed to fit the 3/4" (.092" OD) tubing I used. 1" OD .035" wall thickness (.093 min) tubing is available. May have to source at an industrial tubing supply house, or scrap yard. In my case I found an abundant supply in scrap yard and camp products I happen to have. i.e. the legs of an old Weber kettle grill, an old camp chair, and even a folding camp table. The legs and tubing used was the 1" thin wall stuff.

Great easy project. Let us know what you end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I did not use any "Filler" material. I got the sized tubing I needed to fit the 3/4" (.092" OD) tubing I used. 1" OD .035" wall thickness (.093 min) tubing is available. May have to source at an industrial tubing supply house, or scrap yard. In my case I found an abundant supply in scrap yard and camp products I happen to have. i.e. the legs of an old Weber kettle grill, an old camp chair, and even a folding camp table. The legs and tubing used was the 1" thin wall stuff.

Great easy project. Let us know what you end up doing.
    Sorry, It's been a while. The boss sidetracked me with some other projects...Deck repair and repaint, etc.

I bought 3/4" and 1" tubing,

Cut:
    8 - 3/4" lengths of 36" ea
    4 - 1" tubes of 40" ea.
    I am drilling holes 2" in from each end to provide a reasonable amount of overlap. That should give me 100"(?) tubes [2x32 + 36]. I'm drilling the holes at 90 degree angles to each other at opposite ends of the 3/4" tubes. Bought a drilling block at Home Depot to use as a jig for my 3/8" bit.
    I also bought 7/8" (?) dowel that I sanded down to fit inside the ends of my tubing, shimming with duct tape if I overshoot. BTW if you sand down, when you get close, a cut tube is a great way to finish trimming the tubing to size. Just push in and twist to shave off the extra. I'm adding 3" dowels to the outer ends where the Paracord will go.

I have a can of PlastiDip that I was going to use to coat the joint ends. I was thinking of using a few of my daughter's pony tail rubber bands as filler, but wiring makes great sense and is available in many sizes for fit. I figure the PlastiDip will also clean up the metal tubing and give it a finished look when I'm done, though it may not be that durable. I should have probably gone with bedliner spray, but wanted to start non-permanent until I got a feel for things.

I also bought 3/8 bolts and nuts for assembly because the round hitch pins were fairly expensive, but realize that round hitch pins are very cheap online (<$1 vs $3.50 ea @ HD), so I'll be buying some once I get the assembly done This will likely take a couple more weekends to get done given the other things on my plate.

Thanks for all the advice and ideas. I'll take pics when I'm done.

Marc

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234