Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well Its done except for final Adjustment. Still have lots of fine tuning, as pictured each pole is 130" the center section of each pole is 60" of 1" EMT the two 3/4 end poles are 40 ". The fittings and the sheet metal wrap/ filler are epoxied 5" lengths that fit inside the 1" tubing. Since I Wanted to use continuous loops for joining the ends I chose to use 1 1/4 inch lengths of soft Copper in a 3/8 inch hole, then swagged the ends, and used a flaring tool to finish the copper. the planned foot end has the black para cord to ground. to support the stand. still haven't come up with a final length for each pole. Suggestions?

I want to thank those who shared the information of their builds and answered my questions. would entertain all comments as of yet have not hung a hammock. I have a Camping Hammock with Net - Lightweight COVACURE Double Hammock https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G11T54B. and am working on a Cotton Duck Canvass hammock that will be used for period events. I will try to post pictures along with this.stand 1.jpgconnection1.jpgcopper.JPGconnection.jpg
    Last edited by AlumaTurtle; 09-09-2019 at 14:25.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    In the odd event that you do taco in spite of that counterweight, i’d worry about it becoming a dangerous projectile. Softer counterweight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

That was just on there while i was adjusting the ridge line. it kept tacoing while i was trying to adjust the foot end, and 45 degree angle of the poles.
    i am not even ready to test a hammock on it. I did pull on the head end and suspended myself on that end for a test. really dont know what that means but stake in ground and ridge line held.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlumaTurtle View Post
    That was just on there while i was adjusting the ridge line. it kept tacoing while i was trying to adjust the foot end, and 45 degree angle of the poles.
    i am not even ready to test a hammock on it. I did pull on the head end and suspended myself on that end for a test. really dont know what that means but stake in ground and ridge line held.
    If you put 100% of your weight at the head end and were literally being held off the ground, that's a lot more force through the system than putting your weight in a hammock suspended normally on the stand. So that's a good confidence boost for the stand components as well as the anchoring method.

It could just be angles and perspective, but your photo of the whole stand setup looks to me like the stand is tilted such that the foot end is lower than the head end (assuming the brick as counterweight is at the head end). If so, I think you'll want to either level it off, or change the tilt so that the head end is lower than the foot end.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If you put 100% of your weight at the head end and were literally being held off the ground, that's a lot more force through the system than putting your weight in a hammock suspended normally on the stand. So that's a good confidence boost for the stand components as well as the anchoring method.

It could just be angles and perspective, but your photo of the whole stand setup looks to me like the stand is tilted such that the foot end is lower than the head end (assuming the brick as counterweight is at the head end). If so, I think you'll want to either level it off, or change the tilt so that the head end is lower than the foot end.
    I jumped the gun when taking pictures. I wanted to Brag on my Handy work before it was done!You were right both perspective at work here the ground where the head end is about 12 inches higher the foot end and when the picture was taken the head end was 4 inches higher than the foot.

The brick was to keep the head end from Taco ing with no weight. I didn't know how much i was loading the poles, but I am too old to be picking myself up off the ground! I saw a Picture where the poster was talking about bending a pole, I wasn't going to pick myself off the ground! I put a 2x4 thru a woopie sling then kept tightening the sliding part untill i was suspended. It Worked! Thanks for your observations. They are helpfull!

Ok! First Hang went well. Laid in the hammock for abt 30 Min. I think i will want to upgrade to at least a 10 footer.

Some questions. when laying in the hammock the center line came about mid thigh. ridgeline is 15 Foot. Hammock hangs 42 inches from foot apex, and 61 inches from head end using a centerline length of180 inches. Does this sound right? having only laying in a hammock once, I don't remember what is normal.

Has anyone made a system like this using Army surplus Camo Netting Poles? I have some that come in 4 foot sections (Well, 44 inches once you take out the overlap between them.)

I'm not sure if an almost 8 foot leg would be adequate for this, or if I need to use 3 segments per leg to make it almost 12 feet. (But that sounds ridiculously large.)

I'm thinking drill holes in the top and bottom and connect with some Steel cable and clamps

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-1...oot/1000202185
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Covert-3-16...Clip/999909373

Yeah, Its heavy and not mobile at all - but if I'm backpacking I can just walk further to trees. This is mainly for cases where I'm at a scout event with no option to move out of a flat field.

Does this sound reasonable?

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    [QUOTE=CubmasterTony;1989862]Has anyone made a system like this using Army surplus Camo Netting Poles? I have some that come in 4 foot sections (Well, 44 inches once you take out the overlap between them.)[QUOTE]

Yes there was someone who used those to make this stand. He was calling them antenna mast poles but they are the same thing as the camo net poles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cTall View Post
    I found this 2in shrink tube works pretty well to fill the gap between 3/4 and 1in EMT
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMJBTSD...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I started off using duct tape, but it moves and rips very easily. This shrink tube is like a hard rubber. a heat gun or blow dryer activates the glue on the inside and shrinks the rubber so that it grips the emt very tightly. I've also learned by trial and error that one wrap of duct tape and 1 1/4in shrink tube will work really well. I'll get some pics uploaded if you want to see the finished product.
    I ordered this shrink tube and find that after shrinking it made the 3/4" tube too big to fit in the 1" tube. read in a post that someone else had the same problem. any ideas on how to shrink down the shrink wrap?

alternative to shrink wrap on multi segment stand.

Quote Originally Posted by kamileon View Post
    I'm going to have to give this a try. I have another hammock stand project I think this will be useful on as well. Thanks for the idea.
    New member here. I've been researching a 3 piece project similar to yours and was thinking that a combination of duct tape and truck bed liner spray from home depot might work to fill the gap between the 3/4" and 1" conduits with more durability than shrink wrap. the thickness is not as predicable, but the durability should be better than that or plasti dip.

I hope to start into my build with my daughter (family scout) next week.

Thank you very much for taking hte time to share your write up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast