Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images

Superfly...maybe trekking pole mod after all

So I have been seriously thinking about that internal pole mode for the Superfly, and I do recognize the advantage over the external pole mode when it comes to snow. Also, at first, I was not all that fond of the external pole mode because it seemed a bit fiddley and I can’t imagine it doing very well when the wind pipes up, although I have seen posts where others say no problem in the wind. SO, I decided to just set up the Superfly in the basement and use a couple of telescoping aluminum brush handles and try the external pole mod. WOW...no I see why so many people like it. It does indeed create a cavernous shelter. I have not been a trekking pole guy, but I have been thinking about for a while anyway. Nothing you haven’t seen before, but I just had to post some pics

2082A420-5FB7-4871-91F6-C18CCA51D7A3.jpegF7209033-D46E-42DD-901E-70299F69E9CF.jpegCC8C6889-C5C2-4681-BC9F-BFF749CB1922.jpegCF7D9585-4D94-4C66-B1D6-9E242EBD50A5.jpeg639076C8-2F70-4B5D-8ED3-49C859372739.jpeg

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Yep, a game changer indeed. Great set up you have there.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Like you have said- the internal pole mod(s) have the advantage when it comes to snow, especially if a wet snow is falling. Also the internal poles serve only one function to support the tarp. While the trekking poles can be used as external poles as well as aid in navigating rough terrain or crossing fast streams, there fore having multiple uses.
    Your setup looks taught and more than capable of withstanding the wind

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    After experiencing a torrential downpour at Houchin Ferry Campground during last Memorial Day's road trip, I can finally appreciate a mammoth cave for supper. I'll soon put effort towards this very mod!!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I just got this Superfly (bought it from a forum member here), an have not had it outside yet. I have been lusting after one for some time now! My Dutchware Xenon is a nice tarp and has served me well but the additional coverage on the ends provided by the Superfly will be welcome. I have been using my DIY Grizz beaks and they are very effective, but I do think it will be nice having the doors attached. And since my beaks were made from some old PU coated ripstop I had lying around, they are heavy (8 oz for one end), so the Superfly is actually a weight savings for me. A couple pics of the Hex in use last weekend, and a pic of the Hex hanging in front of the Superfly.
    921EB178-D199-4166-93A5-361BA8895A9C.jpegD4E438B6-2820-4E6A-8B85-09DC4097A6A5.jpeg42CA0DE2-AA1F-4035-87DF-0AE6F2C5E674.jpeg00478EC8-2B9E-4773-89D3-8BC098D7C2B3.jpeg

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    After experiencing a torrential downpour at Houchin Ferry Campground during last Memorial Day's road trip, I can finally appreciate a mammoth cave for supper. I'll soon put effort towards this very mod!!
    All you need is some bungee cord!

Suprfly_trekpole_03.jpg Suprfly_trekpole_inside.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I wasn't a trekking pole guy until a few years ago. Besides the stability on the trail and relief they bring on the knees, I love the flexibility they add to the tarp. I use mine for porch mode, external poles on the tie offs, and for my Mountainsmith Slingback Chair. They have been one of the best gear additions I have ever done.

• + New Posts