UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by peeeeetey View Post
    Is this in the group camping area?
    Yep. Site 2 and 3.

If no one told you we don't accept people from Charlotte unless they bring BBQ from Sonny's. And promise to whup the tar outta Phantom with your purdy boil stoves.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Is this in the group camping area? I have never been there before, but have studied it on Google maps. Near the ranger residences in the group area entrance?
    Yes...this is at the group camping area which off to the right of the family camp ground.

The camping sites are located at the south end of the park close to the ranger residences.

When you take the road that leads to the camping / picnic area; the turn to the group camp sites will be to your right. Once again I will be posting a large yellow sign that says "HAMMOCK HANG" with arrows pointing to the right. The road will go uphill for a few hundred feet and at the top of the hill you are there. Find a parking site and come over to group site 3 to get orientated ( or irritated ).

Just got off the phone with Phanton who wanted a head count for Thursday as he plans to bring stuff for lunch for Thursday and Friday.

There is still plenty of room if you want to come join us, old time hanger, new to hanging, want to try hanging, you are all welcome to come join us.

Don't let not having a hammock stop you. Let us know you want to join us but need to borrow some gear and we will help you in hope we can convert to the dark side of camping ( and no, we do not have cookies...you have to bring your own )

We are trying to get Abby ( our new dog ) get use to sleeping in a crate. We have set it up in our living room so she can get use to it. As Sam as spent many a night in it, he goes in and out of it without a problem. So far Abby will part way in and then backs out and the gives us like "this is some kind of trick, isn't it" look. ). As she had never been in the woods before we got her, Trish and I have been taking Abby and Sam out for hikes in the woods so she can get use to being out in mother nature. So far she is doing good. I will also be bringing Sam's Pup Tent in hopes he might start using it. Might have to bring an extra hammock to see if Abby will sleep in one.

If you don't come with a warped sense of humor, don't worry, you will leave with one. Just kidding

Small children are welcome and they can bring their parents too. Large children are also welcomed. Friendly dogs are allowed. Wives can bring their husbands or leave them at home.

Once again we have a very stick schedule of events as follows...get there when you want, leave when you want, go to bed when you want, get up when you want. When meals are ready we will make an announcement ( meaning someone will yell real loud ) and if you show up before the food is gone then you get to eat. Afternoon hammock studies ( naps in the hammock ) are encouraged. Lots of hiking trails ( over 20 miles ). Some are open Mt Bikes and horses. Of course sitting around the cave man tv continues to be the main activity so bring a chair.
    Last edited by gunner76; 03-28-2019 at 20:21.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Wait a minute. I said there was no schedule. .....

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Ticks have become more active. I’ve already treated two sets of clothes with permethrin. And gonna treat more sets this week. Also I use some deet spray on my clothes at openings—not on my skin—it feels hot. So I use a spray repellent on my skin with no deet.
    I have never treated my hammock and probably won’t.
    It will be great seeing all y’all, drinking cowboy coffee, swapping stories and seeing different hammocks.
    SteelPlayer, I got a kick out of your drawing of angel of death, sending cards welcoming the living to join him.
    I hammock camped in woods behind my house last week. Got up in morning and was real rusty getting alcohol stove to make coffee. I need more practice. It’s like Snwcmpr said, “It’s hard to make coffee before you’ve drunk any coffee”
    That’s as best I can remember it on account of he was telling me this before I’d had my first cup and the “Purdy Boil” was not cooperating.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Wait a minute. I said there was no schedule. .....
    Looks like you'll be the one in the doghouse..... er, crate Greg!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The dogs have already taken over the bed.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    As I speak (or type I should say) my pants are soaking in a permethrin bath in a trash bag. Getting them ready for the woods! Even though my pants will be treated, I still give my ankles/boots and the rest of me a spray of picaridin to complete the shield. I switched to picaridin only after using Deet one time & it ruined my watch band. I figured something that strong to destroy indestructible plastic does no good for my skin.

Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    picaridin
    Good stuff,,,,,I do not like DEET for the reasons you stated

Of course down here it gets to the point when the sheer numbers of Deer Flies and Skeeters overcome the ability of and repellent to keep them at bay.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Doub 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG zero deg +4oz
    Suspension
    Webbing, Dutchware
    I never use Deet. I heard or read that it can melt or otherwise destroy what hammock gear is made of.

At least the puppies are protected. Too bad I can't use what they do. It even keeps mosquitos away. We can hope for a little cool weather.

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast