Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends

Hanging & Vestibular Issues

I have some sort of Vestibular issue that is making things unnecessarily difficult.

The nights are long, I am unable to stay in my hammock from sunset to sunrise. Getting out of my RR is easy enough, but staying upright is exceedingly difficult. Vertigo does not allow me to let go of my hammock. I have fairy lights and other solar lights I turn on before even starting to exit my nest. The vertigo still challenges me.

Surely I am not the only HF member with Vestibular issues.

I would like to know how people manage. For me the dark is like being in a White-Out. Most upsetting to me, I always did well in the dark now since the SCA and Stroke I absolutely am unable to function when in the dark or deep shadow.

Anyone have constructive suggestions on how to enjoy nights when in the forest.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 01-18-2019 at 20:56. Reason: Zillon Typos

Would it be possible to guy out the ridge runner at the poles to provide some motion stability?
    I imagine some sort of high load tension elastic in the line might dampen the motion quicker when you move about

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I would recommend finding a physical therapist in your area that specialized in vestibular therapy. The treatment is fairly simple and usually effective if it's vertigo. There is a simple test they can do to determine if it's vertigo or not.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    A dim led on the ridgeline? Always on. Might need to diy it. Something like 1 lumin. Another is a long dogbone that attaches to the ridgeline or head of hammock. Hold it most of the night, might act as a mental anchor.
    Have you tried meclizine? Both for treatment and prevention. It helps stabilize the feel of vertigo. Available at any pharmacy.
    I'm guessing prevention is key here. Remove triggers and start to use recovery methods as soon as you know happening.
    Best of luck

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Is your vertigo because of the stroke? You might be able to do habituation therapy; if it is bppv (positional vertigo due to otoliths in the wrong place in the semicircular canals) you could also get that treated both of these by a physical therapist--who, by the way, could help to problem solve your hanging issues if neither of the treatment options apply. also, you might want to try slow position changes, rolling first, then sitting up. then standing slowly, and hold onto something steady,(Ridgeline?) definitely use lights as you are relying on your vision for your spatial orientation. Good luck!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmy74 View Post
    Would it be possible to guy out the ridge runner at the poles to provide some motion stability?
    I imagine some sort of high load tension elastic in the line might dampen the motion quicker when you move about

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Movement of the hammock is not exactly the problem. I have hung through a few major storms with my hammock moving in all six directions.

The problem is being upright in the dark and staying upright. All balance goes in the dark. Really odd sensation.

I have tried a tieout to a nearby tree, but that was a dud.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Familyman13 View Post
    I would recommend finding a physical therapist in your area that specialized in vestibular therapy. The treatment is fairly simple and usually effective if it's vertigo. There is a simple test they can do to determine if it's vertigo or not.
    Vestibular issues do not seem to be very difficult to find help to manage. I have tried four physiotherapists who work with vestibular issues. On therapist did offer some relief but it was short lived.

Evidently Vestibular treatment is a new area of medicine so very little is known about treatment.

Hanging or my time in the forest is the time I have not figured a way to cope with the issue of being non-functional in the dark.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Thank you for your suggestions. This Vestibular disturbance is difficult to describe. The trigger is lack of light. So mms e movement around me does throw my balance off, however, I have retrained my brain to adjust to certain types of movement around me.

The big problem is darkness and nocturnal potty trips.

My Medical Alert Dog died last January she and the lights on my hammock helped me stay upright. My new Medical Alert Dog In Training is just a crazy huge 7 month old puppy. He does his best to help but steady he is not.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Movement of the hammock is not exactly the problem. I have hung through a few major storms with my hammock moving in all six directions.

The problem is being upright in the dark and staying upright. All balance goes in the dark. Really odd sensation.

I have tried a tieout to a nearby tree, but that was a dud.
    So this issue only happens when you are trying to sit upright in the hammock in prep for exiting?
    Would a lighter colored tarp help reflect more light under the tarp and would more light help?

I'm only brain storming here Sally in hopes something might help.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    The problem is staying upright in the dark or low light.

Laying flat is well within the normal range. Moving, is not an option in the dark, I am unable to tell up from down, evidently what happens to pilot's in White Out conditions.
    I find describing the sensation difficult. My brain looses its gyroscope, by balance is totally gone when I do not have enough light.

I tried a rope tied to a nearby tree to use as a sort of support like we have at my Canadian home the rope runs from the garage to the house. Whiteout-- use the rope to find the house. My brains gyroscope in the dark just does not keep me upright. Movement of the hammock is not the issue. Me trying to be upright for potty breaks or just to adjust my gear is the issue.

I found a support group for people with Vestibular issues. I seem to be the only outdoorsy person in our group. I am hoping to find a way to manage the problem short of firing up a big spot light.

At home the lights are always on, I have solar lights statshed incase the power goes out.

This condition is really upsetting and makes me feel stupid. So, I decided to ask here for constructive suggestions. The old "Rattle the bushes and see what comes out".

Most of the time my balance is normal, I skate, hike and go to the doggy park and dodge charging K9's.

I just absolutely am unable to keep upright when I leave my hammock before sunrise. I am sure it is a brain thing or inner ear. So far the professionals have only helped a tiny bit for a couple of days. Ha, I thought fixing my problem would be easy, ha, I was wrong.

I try not to use a tarp. When I absolutely must tarp I have tried a variety of colors from white to red, camo types even my Starry Night. Color is not a factor, however having the cover is not helpful. I like seeing the night sky and trees. Being covered is almost sensory deprivation, a certain element of fear comes with this Vestibular problem.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 01-20-2019 at 01:41.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast