11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str

First Test Of LL Quilts

So in 2017 (Black Friday sale) I ordered a set of overstuffed zero degree quilts (Carolina Reaper & Ghost Pepper) from George. I received them around June or July of 2018 and have had to wait until last weekend to try them out. The wait was killing me. I bought my wife a set of quilts that were not LL (a sin I know) due to available funds this winter and she was to test her 20°F quilts out. The tarps were up, the hammocks hung, a slight rain was starting, and the temp fell to 35°F . It was originally supposed to be 25°F or colder and snowing but mother nature changed that on us. I figured it to be a good test for a 20°F UQ and 15°F TQ.

My wife went to bed before me and began shivering when the temp was only at 47°F. I asked her what the problem area was but this being only her second time out with quilts I didn't get a decisive answer. I told her to go lay in my hammock and I would figure it out....as in... I would lay in HER hammock for a few minutes and see if I could identify the issue. I messed up lol. Five minutes in my LL quilts and she was out cold. She didn't emerge hardly at all in the proceeding days since the weather took a turn for the worse. I figured out the issue with her quilts...the hard way lol.

She says to tell George "Thank you for the Evil Brown Monster"! That being my coyote brown quilts lol. They apparently sucked her in and wouldn't let go in the cold according to her lol. I have yet to test my set in the cold thanks to this "test". Fortunately she asked if they come in blue and I am now obliged to buy her a set which of course was already on my list. I simply have her approval now. For now I can only say that they work well but I need to get out again and try this for myself Thanks for saving my weekend George. A miserable wife would make for a long trip

While I did figure out what was wrong with her quilts and I did not freeze to death (I could have been warmer) I can honestly say that the main issue was simple. They were not LL quilts !

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    I must admit, I love my LL quilts. Never let me down. (pun intended)

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouse View Post
    So in 2017 (Black Friday sale) I ordered a set of overstuffed zero degree quilts (Carolina Reaper & Ghost Pepper) from George. I received them around June or July of 2018 and have had to wait until last weekend to try them out. The wait was killing me. I bought my wife a set of quilts that were not LL (a sin I know) due to available funds this winter and she was to test her 20°F quilts out. The tarps were up, the hammocks hung, a slight rain was starting, and the temp fell to 35°F . It was originally supposed to be 25°F or colder and snowing but mother nature changed that on us. I figured it to be a good test for a 20°F UQ and 15°F TQ.

My wife went to bed before me and began shivering when the temp was only at 47°F. I asked her what the problem area was but this being only her second time out with quilts I didn't get a decisive answer. I told her to go lay in my hammock and I would figure it out....as in... I would lay in HER hammock for a few minutes and see if I could identify the issue. I messed up lol. Five minutes in my LL quilts and she was out cold. She didn't emerge hardly at all in the proceeding days since the weather took a turn for the worse. I figured out the issue with her quilts...the hard way lol.

She says to tell George "Thank you for the Evil Brown Monster"! That being my coyote brown quilts lol. They apparently sucked her in and wouldn't let go in the cold according to her lol. I have yet to test my set in the cold thanks to this "test". Fortunately she asked if they come in blue and I am now obliged to buy her a set which of course was already on my list. I simply have her approval now. For now I can only say that they work well but I need to get out again and try this for myself Thanks for saving my weekend George. A miserable wife would make for a long trip

While I did figure out what was wrong with her quilts and I did not freeze to death (I could have been warmer) I can honestly say that the main issue was simple. They were not LL quilts !
    Oh grasshopper, I won't give you a beat down because you've suffered enough Wise man say give a man a quilt and he might not freeze to death, give him a LLG quilt and his wife will sleep better than him

Images
    I received my first LLG quilt on Saturday (ordered Nov 13, so right on the 8-9 week estimate).

It's a minus 20 Carolina Reaper. Temps are nowhere near that cold so far, but judging by the loft on this beast, I don't doubt that it would keep me warm down to that rating. Looks like sub-zero possibilities coming up soon, per the unreliable forecast, so I'm looking forward to testing it at least somewhere near the rating.

This thing is incredible - thank you George!!

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Oh grasshopper, I won't give you a beat down because you've suffered enough Wise man say give a man a quilt and he might not freeze to death, give him a LLG quilt and his wife will sleep better than him
    Good one George. Sound advice there

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I can tell you that I've never had a cold nights sleep in my hammock while wrapped in LocoLibre quilts. These babies are so warm plus they look good as well.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I received my first LLG quilt on Saturday (ordered Nov 13, so right on the 8-9 week estimate).

It's a minus 20 Carolina Reaper. Temps are nowhere near that cold so far, but judging by the loft on this beast, I don't doubt that it would keep me warm down to that rating. Looks like sub-zero possibilities coming up soon, per the unreliable forecast, so I'm looking forward to testing it at least somewhere near the rating.

This thing is incredible - thank you George!!

Is that outer shell black? Looks really sharp with the orange trim and stitching! (almost looked navy in the first pic, probably the lighting... no one seems to make a nice navy colored material.)

(I have also become part of team LL in the last month... these quilts are just bonkers! Dunno why it took me so long, such awesome gear.)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    Is that outer shell black? Looks really sharp with the orange trim and stitching! (almost looked navy in the first pic, probably the lighting... no one seems to make a nice navy colored material.)

(I have also become part of team LL in the last month... these quilts are just bonkers! Dunno why it took me so long, such awesome gear.)
    Yep, black Argon 90 outer with orange stitching, burnt orange Argon 67 inner with black stitching, orange grosgrain trim.

It is the lighting in my garage that makes it look a little off. Cell phone camera with auto white balance, and nothing really white in the shots for the AWB to be able to work correctly. Plus it's a mixture of incandescent and fluorescent light out there. Pretty much everything you don't want in a photo (except the LLG quilt!)

Hammock
    wb/dutch/dh
    Insulation
    wooki/loco libre
    Suspension
    spider web 2.0
    A frosty O* Ghost pepper at -4* It still wasn't cold enough! Thanks LLG.014.JPG015.jpg

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

First Test Of LL Quilts

I'm looking forward to testing my habanero tonight! Temps are projected to be 5 degrees warmer than the lower rating of my LL quilt, and I know I'll be warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast