Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

short incubator

Anyone out there want to chime in on their short incubator? I'm 5 foot 7 - right on the edge of full coverage for the short, and I'm wondering if I can coax a couple photos of some fellas sporting the short incubator.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Since you're within the range they give I would personally give it a shot.

At 5'9", I ran into HUGE problems last year. I had two short incubators which seemed to work for a couple years but then it hit the fan. I bailed on two consecutive trips and it wasn't even that cold (failed around 50° when I tried to take a quick nap in the afternoon on one occasion).

I ignored the advice of others and thought "I'm 69 inches tall and the short incubator is 73 inches...so that's perfect". Come to find out the design of the quilt with the "leg shelf" and how your body needs to be positioned doesn't allow you to simply jump right in the hammock and expect a perfect fit.

So I had to sell those and go back to the original standard incubators I started with 7 years ago. No problems since. So I guess the best advice I can give is proceed with the short, but give it a good test before buying additional quilts (other temp ratings) if that's your intention.

Since you asked for a pic I'll offer this one. But like I said before, just because it "covers" my body completely doesn't mean it works. I learned that the hard way though a ton of frustration.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG UQ, LLG TQ
    Suspension
    SpiderWeb 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Come to find out the design of the quilt with the "leg shelf" and how your body needs to be positioned doesn't allow you to simply jump right in the hammock and expect a perfect fit.
    Would you care to explain this more? I just ordered two underquilts and presumably they have this feature. Is there a certain way that laying keeps them from insulating correctly?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lkal32 View Post
    Would you care to explain this more? I just ordered two underquilts and presumably they have this feature. Is there a certain way that laying keeps them from insulating correctly?
    It's made to fit your body better than just a flat piece of fabric. About half way to 3/4 of the way towards the foot end, the material sort of gets tighter and raises to conform to your legs. So your butt is in the deepest part, which makes sense given that's the lowest point. Then around your thigh/knee area is where this transition happens. So for me, with the short version, I was totally messing up this "anatomical" fit. The leg portion was starting too soon (near my butt), allowing cold air to collect no matter how I adjusted it. If I pulled the UQ towards the foot end to compensate, that just made my shoulders/back cold and my head was too close to the edge. Just a whole mess of issues.

Not to confuse things more, but you may have heard of a custom "Phincubator" as well; a hybrid of the 3/4 Phoenix and Full Incubator. The reason these seem to work well is because they are simply a Phoenix UQ with a longer leg portion and no changes to the torso section (still intended to start a the shoulders leaving your head exposed like a regular Phoenix).

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG UQ, LLG TQ
    Suspension
    SpiderWeb 1.5
    Oh ok! Thanks for the details, seems like the short versions remove the length from the upper portion (shoulder area) rather than symmetrically from both ends. I got the regular Phoenix versions, so we hopefully shouldn't run into that issue.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lkal32 View Post
    Oh ok! Thanks for the details, seems like the short versions remove the length from the upper portion (shoulder area) rather than symmetrically from both ends. I got the regular Phoenix versions, so we hopefully shouldn't run into that issue.
    I actually think it is both ends from what I've seen, but can't be certain.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Hmmm... I use a short Incubator and I'm 5'10". Covers from my shoulders to heels. I use a pillow and additional foot insulation because 1) I like a small pillow under my neck, and 2) because I find that UQ insulation doesn't do a whole lot for keeping feet warm (thus, the reason for having a short, don't need the insulation under my head or to surround my feet). I think as long as the Incubator is centered with you, there is no fit issue.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    I'm 5'6" or 5'7" depending on the day, and my short Inc is perfect for me. I see people talk about the leg shelf but I don't really get it. The inside of my Inc is completely flat from top to bottom, side to side. The only bulge is on the outside on the torso portion. Maybe i just never paid much attention to the inside.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have both the full Incubator and a custom Phincubator which is between the length of the Phoenix and the Incubator.

I am 5'10.5" and stretched out straight flat and in a diagonal lay, the Phincubator goes from just above my head to right at my heels. I can just loop my outstretched foot under the primary suspension. This works well for me because a very rarely sleep stretched out.. Rather I alway have one leg pulled up and tucked under the opposite knee (which also relieves pressure on the straight leg, putting a slight bend in my knee and shortening the 'straight' leg so it is well within the foot end of the UQ. I'll be adding a Phoenix this year for those warmer summer trips, but the Phincubator is a keeper..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I love my Phincubator! I just used my 30° 2 weeks ago and it was great as usual. Got down to 34° and sure it had room to go lower. It's a 62", so starting at my shoulders it covers me to my heels with little to spare. Just perfect!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast