Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best fabric for Raven?

I'm getting ready to order a double layer Raven DH and had a question about the fabric choices. I'm trying to decide between the 1.6 HyperD or the 1.2 MTN XL. With so many choices I'm not sure what's best and didn't want to spend the extra money for a double layer 1.2 MTN if the 1.6 HyperD is a better choice. Then to make it more difficult I could choose 1.6 on the outer layer and 1.2 for the inner layer... so many choices... dang you options!

Also I'm 5'11" and 215lbs if that helps... any opinions welcome, thanks guys/gals

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quick question: Any reason in particular you want the double layer? At your weight, a single layer of 1.7 MTN or 1.6 would be ideal. The DL is going to be too firm for most tastes. the SL would save weight and money.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    If using an underquilt (recommended) at your weight, I would go with only a single layer in a 1.2xl, 1.6 or the robic 1.7. I weigh much more than you and am comfortable with a SL 1.7 Robic. One thing I will say regarding fabrics and that is you have more color choices if you stick to the 1.6. Also I believe the Outdoors Ink patterns are in 1.6. I also have a 2.2 dbl layer Sparrow which is way over built for my weight, but very comfy...however, it weighs way too much for backpacking (56 oz). In the end, ask yourself what you will use this for. If you need lightweight and want to save money, go with single layer in 1.6. If you are a gram weenie, go 1.2 robic. It will weigh much less, although I can't say how it compares in terms of how much that fabric would hold a camper in comfort. Ask the Smurfs, and they will guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    If using an underquilt (recommended) at your weight, I would go with only a single layer in a 1.2xl, 1.6 or the robic 1.7. I weigh much more than you and am comfortable with a SL 1.7 Robic. One thing I will say regarding fabrics and that is you have more color choices if you stick to the 1.6. Also I believe the Outdoors Ink patterns are in 1.6. I also have a 2.2 dbl layer Sparrow which is way over built for my weight, but very comfy...however, it weighs way too much for backpacking (56 oz). In the end, ask yourself what you will use this for. If you need lightweight and want to save money, go with single layer in 1.6. If you are a gram weenie, go 1.2 robic. It will weigh much less, although I can't say how it compares in terms of how much that fabric would hold a camper in comfort. Ask the Smurfs, and they will guide you.

Thanks for the feedback guys, the main reason that I am wanting a DL is for the looks. I'm wanting to go with a two color pattern. I rarely backpack camp, and typically camp from my expedition kayak and weight isnt so much of a problem. I currently have a Hennessy Safari and an Amok Draumr so I'm not a stranger to hammock camping on my 1-2 week long trips and generally use an underquilt. I knew that the 1.6 would be over kill for my weight and was wondering if the 1.2 would be better, but better to the point of the extra $34.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    i believe the 1.2 can get a bit wider (67" unfinished width.) the 1.6 dbl is what I'd get if weight isn't an issue. and yes, two color hammocks are cool. WHy not go with the Outdoor Ink.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm in a similar situation and looking to make a fabric decision for a Sparrow. I'm torn between the 1.2 double-layer (as it is a little wider) and a 1.6 outer with 1.1 inner. Then getting an ink pattern for the overcover. I'm only 5'10" and 170 lbs... I know I can get away with a single layer but I've been struggling with some back pain over the years (getting up in years sucks) and looking for something a little beefier and hoping to be able to slip a light pad inbetween the layers to add a bit more back support while still having the option to use an underquilt.

Overkill for me? Any suggestions from some experienced guys... Papa Smurf gave me some great information (huge help there) but looking to see if anyone has any similar issues and how they may have solved it.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by unicornv007 View Post
    I'm in a similar situation and looking to make a fabric decision for a Sparrow. I'm torn between the 1.2 double-layer (as it is a little wider) and a 1.6 outer with 1.1 inner. Then getting an ink pattern for the overcover. I'm only 5'10" and 170 lbs... I know I can get away with a single layer but I've been struggling with some back pain over the years (getting up in years sucks) and looking for something a little beefier and hoping to be able to slip a light pad inbetween the layers to add a bit more back support while still having the option to use an underquilt.

Overkill for me? Any suggestions from some experienced guys... Papa Smurf gave me some great information (huge help there) but looking to see if anyone has any similar issues and how they may have solved it.
    Why not a single layer of Mtn XL 1.7 (formerly Robic XL 1.7)? That would probably give you the firmness you're looking for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Why not a single layer of Mtn XL 1.7 (formerly Robic XL 1.7)? That would probably give you the firmness you're looking for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Excellent question. I keep asking myself the same thing too... I've had some back and hip pain over the last year. New experience for me and strangely enough, laying in my other hammock isn't doing me any favors. After asking around, I'm going to try a different hammock but this time, I'm going to get a double-layer so I can also use a pad. I had planned on a 1.6 and 1.1 layer but based on colors and such, I ended up with a 1.6 x 1.6. It adds a little weight but this one will be primarily base camping hammock anyway. I can still use it for backpacking if I want but I'm not thru-hiking at this time, only weekend-warrioring it so an extra half a pound isn't going to do me in.

I'm open to suggestions though...

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by unicornv007 View Post
    Excellent question. I keep asking myself the same thing too... I've had some back and hip pain over the last year. New experience for me and strangely enough, laying in my other hammock isn't doing me any favors. After asking around, I'm going to try a different hammock but this time, I'm going to get a double-layer so I can also use a pad. I had planned on a 1.6 and 1.1 layer but based on colors and such, I ended up with a 1.6 x 1.6. It adds a little weight but this one will be primarily base camping hammock anyway. I can still use it for backpacking if I want but I'm not thru-hiking at this time, only weekend-warrioring it so an extra half a pound isn't going to do me in.

I'm open to suggestions though...
    Very good then! I think you're going to end up loving that hammock! The Raven is an awesome/modular design at an exceptional price point. I've found mine to be very forgiving with regards to setup as well.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I went with a DL Raven in HyperD 1.6 and am very happy with it. My outer colour is black and inner is Moroccan Blue. I wanted the double layer more for added security (if I rip the one layer, etc.) and to be able to add a pad if for whatever reason I wanted to...I don't backpack so the extra bit of weight is a non-issue for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast