WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've never used one and have been fine in different 4 season conditions. That being said, I've always wanted to get one for the above mentioned benefits but I just never get around to ordering one since I have gotten by fine without one. I say there is no rush to get one. Try without and see what happens.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    In my case, it wasn't too hard to justify getting an UQP.

More wind resistance - my first few cold weather hangs had very nice wind chill readings. UQP made noticeable difference in comfort, guessing 5-10* better overall.
    Don't Worry Quilt Protection - no snow, cold weather, dirty ground, NO PROBLEM. Don't have to think about being careful with UQ. Plus I don't have to worry about bumping the quilt when using my chair.
    Size/Weight - negligible. Packs down smaller than a baseball. Very cost / weight effective for a few ounces. Consider it buy once insurance for your underquilt plus adds to your comfort range.

I'll always pack this along on any below freezing outing, I'm very sold on the benefits and not too concerned about the small size/weight penalty.

Your results may be different than mine, HYOH.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm a big fan of an UQP: specifically the Dutch Summer Sock myself. Using a summer sock with a netless hammock gives me a nice water resistant, bug proof cocoon around my hammock and I can still adjust my under quilt by just sticking my hand out and grabbing it. It's only a very small weight penalty (140g) for a netless hammock & summer sock vs a chameleon and it's totally worth it to me.
    Last edited by <-Pointer; 01-17-2019 at 14:51.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

UQ protector?

I like the UQP as an option. it's not very heavy or bulky. nice to have it and not need it at times, but when its needed you'll wonder how you ever went without it.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images

Question

Is it a good option? I'm thinking to order one: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/underquilt-portector/

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest II
    Insulation
    HG Eco Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I ordered one of those two days ago and got it from Dutch today. It looks well made and it's Argon 90 so it should make for a great windbreak but I'm still waiting on my underquilt to arrive so I can try it out!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Jared also makes one out of either Ion or Argon 90 and with or without insulation. If you want other options.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Laracrofty, please post your observations about any temp/wind protection benefits. The setup knowledge base is constantly expanding/updating. Describing your weather situation and what contribution the UQ made, if any, will be useful.
    I will be trying the 2qzq protector for the first time this weekend. Weather is supposed to be rainy and windy all night tonight, and then windy and frigid the second night. So I think if it helps, it will really save the day in both scenarios. I mean, having all your gear soaked, followed by a sub-freezing night...you can't be too careful. I just did a test setup and found it a little long for my hammock (Clark Jungle) but I tied up the shock cord a little and it seems to be fine. Watch this space for the trip report!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am planning on trying out a 3/4 Length UQ soon. A UQP would be a decent insurance policy I suppose.

Kinda cuts into the weight savings of the 3/4 UQ. Do people do short UQs with the protector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It doesn't matter if the UQP is longer than the UQ. The idea is to create and environment of non-moving air around the Hammock/UQ. Also, as the UQP's job is to protect the UQ, it doesn't matter so much if it is shorter then the hammock itself.

The UQP is not a miracle worker; it will not change a 20 degree UQ into a 0 degree UQ. But it will help. The difference with/without is incremental and depends upon a lot of circumstances. For many of us, those, non-dramatic but still there, differences are worth the small difference in size.

It plays on the fringes. So instead of thinking, "It cuts into my weight saving by going to a ¾ length UQ." You can think, "It saves me weight because I can get by with a 40 degree UQ (which by itself might not be quite warm enough) instead of a 20 degree. It saves me weight because I can take the lighter summer-ish tarp instead of the heavier tarp with doors.

So it's fuzzy edges. It sort of extends the performance, just a bit, of what you already have. For those of us who use them, that "just a bit" is enough to justify the small amount of additional weight/size.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast