SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

No Sew CDT TopQuilt

Apparently, my google skills don't extend to the search function on this forum. I tried to look but kept getting way too many hits.

Is anyone aware of a no-sew CDT top quilt that would be the TQ equivalent of the Gemini allowing the stacking of two quilts together?

Images

For layering: the best way is literally to just wear two at the same time. You don't need to connect them in any sort of way.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    So I could just essentially make two extra castor pieces and omit the #1 snaps on the two short ends. I haven't watched the video in detail, but is removing the seams still the way to go or can you leave the seams intact when using it as a top quilt?

Would it have a better insulating effect if you ripped the seams and snapped two of them together in the offset pattern as you do for the underquilt and then folded them up into the topquilt shape with the foot box?

I made one. Used Gemini technique of grosgrain loops secured by camsnaps to create a footbox that uses shock cord to close up the foot end. I seam ripped the horizontal seams and took two Cdq's used cam snaps to off-set the baffles. I offset by 2.5 baffles so that the 2 layer quilt is wider than a single cdq by 2.5 baffles on each side, but it is only 1 layer thick on the sides. Then I put cam snaps in so that I can attach a third cdq layer to make a three layer top quilt for winter. Have been very warm to 17 degrees with three layers and have used the 2 layer confuguration for down to 40 degrees with no problem. If you have made a Gemini you can just play around 2 or three quilts and come up with your own design easy with no sewing. I have used the similar techniques to take a CDQ and attach it to an underquilt protector to make a single layer underquilt and protector that I can use in summer. It can also be used to add another layer of warmth to my gemini.

Images
    Seam ripping Costco blankets is always the way to go. Which direction doesn’t matter much for top quilts.

Trying to make an offset-baffle-stack doesn’t work for topquilts because they are scrunchy and move around so much. Just wear one inside the other and you will do plenty well.

My offset works perfectly. And I really like the extra width. Different horses for different courses.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post

Is anyone aware of a no-sew CDT top quilt that would be the TQ equivalent of the Gemini allowing the stacking of two quilts together?

i would honestly attempt to sew the top quilt. it's 2 straight seams, 2 feet in length. it's probably the single easiest thing you could DIY (even easier than doing kam snaps in this particular instance)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    i would honestly attempt to sew the top quilt. it's 2 straight seams, 2 feet in length. it's probably the single easiest thing you could DIY (even easier than doing kam snaps in this particular instance)
    Not if don't own a sewing machine.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    ....For layering: the best way is literally to just wear two at the same time. You don't need to connect them in any sort of way.
    ^^ This ^^

I made a "Summer" TQ with sewn footbox(I just take out a foot if getting warm) out of Walmart polyester fabric and low polyester batting.

Then I made a CDT TQ also with sewn footbox using the method found on Youtube. This leaves a little larger footbox than my Summer TQ. For Winter, I first use the Summer TQ then slide into the CDT "layering" it. The smaller TQ easily slides into the CDT. This has taken me down to the upper 30's feeling a little warm and once having to vent a little.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Not if don't own a sewing machine.
    2 foot straight sew hand stitch isn't impossible either