DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket

Shorter whoopie sling

I'm relatively new to splicing so I'm looking for for some advice on making whoopie slings. I find that 6' whoopies are longer than I really need. I'd like to make some extra short whoopies that allow for some fine tuning (around a foot or so of adjustability). I'll be relying on straps for the rough adjustments.

Basically, I'm looking to make the shortest practical whoopies out of 7/64 amsteel. It seems like I can shorten their length by having a small fixed loop (around 1 inch diameter) and starting the main bury just after the fixed loop bury finishes. From my research, it sounds like 10 inches is a standard length for the main bury. Then I'll shoot to have the adjustable loop around 1.5 foot diameter at its maximum.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Is there anything I should do differently?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Images
    You can make the whoopie as long or short as you want, but the burry will remain mostly the same length. So consider that as the theoretical minimum.

If that’s still too long, I keep a fixed loop on the ends of the hammock for very short hangs in addition to the whoopie. Then I can fall back to a Jbend as a last resort.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unwordedly View Post
    I'm relatively new to splicing so I'm looking for for some advice on making whoopie slings. I find that 6' whoopies are longer than I really need. I'd like to make some extra short whoopies that allow for some fine tuning (around a foot or so of adjustability). I'll be relying on straps for the rough adjustments.

Basically, I'm looking to make the shortest practical whoopies out of 7/64 amsteel. It seems like I can shorten their length by having a small fixed loop (around 1 inch diameter) and starting the main bury just after the fixed loop bury finishes. From my research, it sounds like 10 inches is a standard length for the main bury. Then I'll shoot to have the adjustable loop around 1.5 foot diameter at its maximum.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Is there anything I should do differently?

That sounds reasonable. I have a short 7/64" whoopie on the foot end only (per this post) to make fine adjustments and am really liking it more and more... perfect adjustment with the least amount of fiddling.

Also, the finished bury on mine is 7" and it holds fine for me @170lbs.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    1.5 Spider/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That sounds reasonable. I have a short 7/64" whoopie on the foot end only (per this post) to make fine adjustments and am really liking it more and more... perfect adjustment with the least amount of fiddling.

Also, the finished bury on mine is 7" and it holds fine for me @170lbs.
    Good to hear I'm on the right track!

For reference, I'm around 200lbs. Is there a formula for determining the weight rating for a length of bury?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Chart HERE, though not specified by weight but rather material.... bottom line, about 8" for 7/64 Amsteel.

Maybe I'm living on borrowed time, but 7" has been okay for me.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    For shorter applications, dog bones or continous loops would be more appropriate tools. An extra-short whoopie sling sounds more like a splicing exercise.

Good Luck, Have fun
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I agree with the OP. The extra length of the tag end of a 6 foot Whoopie can get in the way and be a pain to tie up out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Chart HERE, though not specified by weight but rather material.... bottom line, about 8" for 7/64 Amsteel.

Maybe I'm living on borrowed time, but 7" has been okay for me.
    The 8” gives the bury strength equal to the strength of the material I.e it is a tossup whether the bury slips or the line breaks. By going a little shorter bury you lose some of the overall strength of the whoopie but it slips before something breaks. The Amsteel May have more strength than we need though.

I have one of the Eno Helios suspensions which is made rather strangely - among other things, the bury on the whoopie is only about 3”. I think this is a little bit of protecting consumers from themselves so it slips long before something breaks. But I have used them a fair amount and they have not slipped.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    The 8” gives the bury strength equal to the strength of the material I.e it is a tossup whether the bury slips or the line breaks. By going a little shorter bury you lose some of the overall strength of the whoopie but it slips before something breaks. The Amsteel May have more strength than we need though.

I have one of the Eno Helios suspensions which is made rather strangely - among other things, the bury on the whoopie is only about 3”. I think this is a little bit of protecting consumers from themselves so it slips long before something breaks. But I have used them a fair amount and they have not slipped.
    Yikes, well 3" seems a bit sketchy. But hey, if it works... However, with the 7" I bounced and thrashed around on it a good bit when testing and it didn't slip a micron, and none at all during the 2-3 nights I've hung on it so far.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    With a 5" bury, that would yeald a slipping strength of something a little under 1000 pounds. That's the normal minimum recommend strength for a suspension. That's gives you about a foot long whoopie.
    Normal static tension on a whoopie is roughly your weight, double that to get some margin of safety for dynamic loads. That might be obtainable with as little as a 2" bury, making for about a 7" whoopie. I dont think anyone in their right mind you reccomend that....

I'd rather add cont loops to the end and jbend if I have too then start skimping on a whoopie.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast