SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Layering a CDT with Cheapo Amazon UQ

I'm still playing around with a bunch of ideas to minimize cost and maximize usage.

I am getting 2 sets of CDT's and making two Gemini's. That will definitely take care of my at-home needs and in theory my summer outdoor needs.

I also have this cheap underquilt which does not work for me in an 11' hammock very well at all but fits my daughter's 8' hammock perfectly and she says it is warm and cozy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They claim it is good to 32* although I have my doubts. What do you guys think would be a reasonable expectation for a Gemini in winter mode layered with the above cheap UQ. As I said, my daughter says it is toasty warm and very comfortable, so as long as she loves it if I can save money by not buying a 20* UQ for her that would be awesome, but I absolutely don't want to put her at risk in cold weather. And I'm not talking deep cold, I doubt I would take her out if it were getting below 20 any time soon.

As far as I go, I will have the Gemini, which hopefully eliminates the need for me to buy a 40* UQ and I will get a 20* UQ with the ability to layer the two if necessary.

I think that will work without breaking the bank. Now I just have to figure out some TQ options to go with these UQ's unless you guys see any fatal flaws in this idea. So come at me.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I recently did a DIY layered CDT that does double duty as an insulated camp jumpsuit. It’s not the prettiest thing, but for a total investment of under $50 it’s pretty good. It pairs very nicely with a Gemini in 3-layer mode and a modest top quilt. Or for deep winter camping, a 20* top quilt with a 0* under quilt.

CDT Freya - Convertible Camp Pants and Layered Quilt Liner
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    For some reason when I attempt to follow your link it tells me I do not have permission to view the page.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    For some reason when I attempt to follow your link it tells me I do not have permission to view the page.
    Ah, it’s in the DIY which is members’ area.

Images
    When it gets very cold, I split my Gemini set apart and use half to boost my “good underquilt” and the other half with the footbox snapped up to boost my HG top quilt. The Costco blankets make excellent layering as long as you don’t smash them with tension.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    When it gets very cold, I split my Gemini set apart and use half to boost my “good underquilt” and the other half with the footbox snapped up to boost my HG top quilt. The Costco blankets make excellent layering as long as you don’t smash them with tension.
    I’ve don’t the same. The clew suspension on the Gemini UQ makes it perfect for layering.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I was hoping someone might have an educated guess on the actual insulation ability of the cheap Uboway quilt. If not I can experiment I was just hoping someone might have some experience with something like that that could give me an idea on the layering quality.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I was hoping someone might have an educated guess on the actual insulation ability of the cheap Uboway quilt. If not I can experiment I was just hoping someone might have some experience with something like that that could give me an idea on the layering quality.
    Last winter I layered a Gemini top with an EE 20 Revelation. Bottom was a 0* Hammock Gear 0, I was very warm with an overnight low around 2.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    like you, I also purchased the cheap Uboway underquilt from Amazon, and am layering it with my modified Gemini underquilt. laying like a "banan" it seems to work fine to keep me warm at least to 35*F. but due to its shape, it's very difficult to lay at a diagonal with it. when I do, my head and feet stick out past the edges of the Uboway and it sags down away from the bottom of the hammock. I'm beginning to think of it as more of an insulated underquilt protector to keep my Gemini off the ground. one caveat to my observations, is that I haven't spent more than 3 hours in the hammock at a time. the pressure points created by laying in the hammock prevent me from sleeping and drive me out of it and back to my bed after a couple hours, so I don't know if the UQ combination will keep me warm through an entire night.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    It looks the Subito brand one that I have. They are probably both made in the same Chinese factory. If so, then it's rated for around 55°.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast