Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will I be too hot?

Hello everyone! I'm new to hammocking and I was wondering, If I have a 0 degree underquilt on a warm summer night will I be too hot?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Will I be too hot?

Look up Shug Emery's channel on youtube. He has a video about venting cold weather hammocks in warmer weather

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    You just hang it looser underneath and it's prolly OK. 0° is a bit over-kill, but...

[ You say you are "new"...Might as well just get the truth out to you now. And that is that once you get the hammocking bug, you WILL end up with more TQ/UQ combos than your wife is gonna be happy with, so it's gonna be a moot question pretty quickly.]
    Last edited by Flash Grundelore; 01-12-2019 at 08:35.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

TY Flash Grundelore. Yeah it's overkill but I want to avoid having several quilts and I may want to try some winter camping which is why I'm thinking about a 0 degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Menkel View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm new to hammocking and I was wondering, If I have a 0 degree underquilt on a warm summer night will I be too hot?
    No, I've done it. You'll be fine. Just loosen the UQ suspension until you're at an ideal temp. You can also adjust your top insulation accordingly.
    Last edited by Red Wing; 01-12-2019 at 09:29.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    The short answer is yes. The longer answer is you can make it work but it will require some fiddling around with adjustments, like others have already stated. You will probably eventually find it a pain to get up and out of your hammock in the middle of the night to adjust the underquilt if the wind picks up or temperature drops more or less than you thought. I certainly did. I understand your desire to minimize your cost for insulation but realistically, it will be a lot easier for you to have a quilt set for at least 2 temperature ranges. If most of your camping will be spring/summer/fall, you would probably be better off starting with a warmer weather quilt set and supplementing it with warm clothing and additional insulation like inexpensive down throws/blankets in the winter.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Not if you do not use the quilt Depending on what the defintion of warm is you could probably get by with a Costco throw or go for a very inexpensive summer under quilt.
    https://www.hammockgear.com/economy-phoenix/

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Ditto on some other comments above but......Yeah you'll be just fine. I have a 20* and now a 0* and like has already been mentioned - Shug is going to be a great resource to you - see link below;

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

If you don't like watching videos the easiest way to "vent" your underquilt is to put your water bottle in it just below your hammock. The weight alone will open up the end a bit and allow that hot air to escape and a bit of cool air to enter thus cooling you down. Fret not. Perhaps look to invest in another underquilt for your 3 season camping and keep the 0* for the winter in the future. And has already been mentioned above - learn to duck and cover because the wife will most certainly NOT be HAPPY at the money pit you chose for a hobby
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I use either a 0°F or 20°F UQ year around.

My TQ for the warmest part of Summer is a Costco Throw.

For where I Hang what is under me does not cause me to become too warm.

In my personal experience for mild to hot weather my UQ does not matter if it is Winter weight or not. What goes OVER me needs to be appropriate to the weather conditions.

You just need to experiment to learn exactly fits your needs.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 01-13-2019 at 00:52.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    As mentioned, venting a 0* UQ can work, but the other consideration is that it is a lot of extra bulk to carry when you don't need it.

And, really, what hobby isn't a money pit?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast