SLD Trail Lair, HG
    Tarp
    HH Pelican, SLD
    Insulation
    OWL, JRB, Costco
    Suspension
    MyersTech All in 1

Pads & Underquilts join forces

Has anyone had any luck pairing an inflatable pad with an under quilt for additional insulation? I have some DIY costco quilts, that I have taken to 30 degrees and I also own a Neo air Xlite. I am curious, if I use them together where I might end up. The weather here has been too warm to test it out, so I'm looking for some personal experiences. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There's a small minority of people who claim to have never had any condensation using pads in a hammock. Hopefully you are in that group. Personally, the first day I got an underquilt was the last day I used a pad.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    There's a small minority of people who claim to have never had any condensation using pads in a hammock. Hopefully you are in that group. Personally, the first day I got an underquilt was the last day I used a pad.
    Always interested in that. Did you get damp when ground sleeping on a pad, or just in the hammock? If not, what (do you think) causes it in a hammock but not on the ground?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Always interested in that. Did you get damp when ground sleeping on a pad, or just in the hammock? If not, what (do you think) causes it in a hammock but not on the ground?
    Never noticed dampness on the ground, but then again, there's no air convection on the ground. Condensation seems perfectly normal in a hammock when the outside of the pad, exposed to cold air, meets the inside of the pad, exposed to body heat. And it's not just me - all of my kids experienced condensation with a pad. We're talking pools of condensation.

I've often wondered, if you put the UQ under the pad, would that change the temperature differential and reduce condensation? However, getting an UQ to fit snugly to the hammock is hard enough without sticking a pad in the equation. Besides, having a pad in the hammock was always a pain in the butt for me - I was constantly getting up at night to readjust. While a double-layer hammock reduces that kind of fiddling, I don't have much interest in a double-layer hammock just to keep the pad in place (which is the only reason I would have a double-layer hammock).

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    SSurfr - were your pad days with an insulated inflatable mattress or the closed cell foam pads most people talk about?
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    SSurfr - were your pad days with an insulated inflatable mattress or the closed cell foam pads most people talk about?
    I used a ccf pad. I wouldn't invest another penny in a "better" pad, especially when I see the retail price of a Klymit Insulated Static V pad ($84.95).

https://www.klymit.com/insulated-sta...eping-pad.html

I could use that money to get an actual underquilt.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I had a Gossamer Gear pad about 40 inches wide by 70 inches long and 3/16 inch thick I used it by itself and then when I got top and bottom quilts I did use pad at same time during extreme cold.
    It was 5* and windy with gusts over 30mph
    The pad helped shield me from cold wind
    I gave my pad to my kids and now have the 20* underquilt that I had and also a zero* underquilt
    I’ll stack underquilts if it gets close to zero
    SilvrSurfr is right—underquilts and topquilts are the way to go—just as soon as you get enough Jack
    Aren’t there hammocks like the Amok and 90 degree hammocks that use pads and air mattresses to hold their form?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I’ve used a pad in a double layer hammock with a simple diy polyfil UQ, once upon a time on a one week long trip. The CCF pad mostly kept me warm, but the UQ wrapped up around my shoulders, and added that little extra oomph of warmth where the hammock wrapped around said shoulders, and I would have gotten chilly. That said, I recall two exceptionally humid, and cool (40*f) nights, when I was rather damp on the underside. I never got cold per se, but it wasn’t the most comfortable. I suspect the moisture had to do with convection, dew points, and other scientific juju.

After that trip I built some diy synthetic quilts, and now have all down quilts. I won’t go the pad route again.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I used a ccf pad. I wouldn't invest another penny in a "better" pad, especially when I see the retail price of a Klymit Insulated Static V pad ($84.95).

https://www.klymit.com/insulated-sta...eping-pad.html

I could use that money to get an actual underquilt.
    Thanks for clarifying SilvrSurfr. I understand your position on pads. Just wanted to point out that ccf and inflatable pads can be completely different experiences. I have and use both my Klymit and a nice UQ (not together yet). I prefer the Klymit. It gives me a flatter lay and no shoulder pinch. Plus it's easier to sleep on my side with the Klymit. But I know that my preferences are in the minority...

BTW, my Klymit cost $50 4 years ago including tax and shipping from ebay.

Pad Hammock.jpeg
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 01-10-2019 at 22:39.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    Bumping this thread, as I've got the same question.

I've got a winter camping trip with the scouts coming up in a week and a half. Temps are likely going to be in the 5-20f for the overnight low.

I'm going to be borrowing a buddies DIY UQ, which has a target temp rating of ~15-20f. However, as I'm new to the area, and to snow camping around here, I'll also be bringing my klymit pad as well, in case I can't find a place to hang, and have to sleep in a tent with the other leader. Now, I've used the pad alone as in temps down to ~30f in the hammock multiple times, where I was starting to get a bit cool, but still managed to sleep fairly well, so I'm no stranger to pads. I'm wondering if adding the pad inside the hammock as I normally do (I don't own an UQ yet) would be a net positive, or negative. It seems like it should be better than just the UQ alone, but I'm not 100% sure, which is why I'm checking.

Any thoughts/experiences to share?

Again, I'll be carrying the pad either way, so its not really an "extra" thing to carry. Same with the tent. The "leaders" tent is coming along no matter what. I'd just prefer to hammock if at all possible, as I've not done it in temps this low before.

I've got top insulation more or less sorted (20f bag + my ~35f TQ). I'm just wanting to be prepared enough for the bottom insulation that I don't freeze to death if we hit 0f.

Thanks for the help .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast