Large hex asym
    Insulation
    Super shelter
    Suspension
    Python straps

Hennessey 4Season system

Got the email today.
    https://hennessyhammock.com/collections/new-products

Hope the pad is better than the current super shelter pad with the seam.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbyrun View Post
    Got the email today.

Very interesting indeed. An apparent attempt to improve the tried and true ( for a few of us at least ) HHSS, first time since 2006. I wonder what details are different?

Images
    We’ve included a space blanket to reflect your body heat—this should be placed under the foam pad so that any condensation will stay on the space blanket, keeping your sleeping bag dry. The 4Season system has advantages if you find yourself in colder conditions than expected because it is adjustable to a wide range of temperature conditions. With just the foam pad, most people are comfortable down to about 40 F / 4 C. Adding the space blanket under the pad should take you down to below freezing............
    That must be a misprint. Unless something has totally changed.Space blanket has always gone on top of the foam pad and other insulation.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That must be a misprint. Unless something has totally changed.Space blanket has always gone on top of the foam pad and other insulation.
    Apparently, they recommend the spaceblanket be used under the underpad for the regular Supershelter too.

Use included space blanket under the UnderPad for extra warmth.

https://hennessyhammock.com/products...n-system-1-zip

Theoretically, I guess the new system is one less layer of waterproof condensation catcher, since there is no silnylon undercover with this product. So you'll just have to enjoy the condensation you can get from the underpad and the space blanket!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbyrun View Post
    Got the email today.

Looks like the same material so maybe not that hard wearing. Guess time will tell. If you could leave the pad in the hammock (which seems to be the intention) then hopefully it will last longer. Still seems like a good option for Irish weather.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I e-mailed Hennessy about the bottom of the new 4 Season system, am waiting for a reply.

Maybe I missed something, but it looks like the new 4 Season hammock is the usual oxford fabric, with no vapor barrier.

In sub freezing temperatures, I have never had under condensation that was objectionable. A little, yes. In the grey OCF SS pad, or folds of a insulated Big Ag. Air Core pad. But most of the time none. And that is both with vapor barrier, and with out vapor barrier. Not saying it doesn't happen.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

I saw that as well and wondered the same thing. Something in the back of my mind says that Hennessy DID change up that recommendation a few years back, but I don't now recall where I read that. I'll search around and see if I can find a source.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Apparently, they recommend the spaceblanket be used under the underpad for the regular Supershelter too.

Use included space blanket under the UnderPad for extra warmth.

https://hennessyhammock.com/products...n-system-1-zip

Theoretically, I guess the new system is one less layer of waterproof condensation catcher, since there is no silnylon undercover with this product. So you'll just have to enjoy the condensation you can get from the underpad and the space blanket!
    Clearly a misprint, at least for the HHSS. (but you say no sil-nylon under cover for the new system? Hmmmm ) I do wonder how long this misprint has been there, as they have always in the past recommended sb on top of the pad. At your link are some videos. In the video covering the space blanket, at 35 seconds in, Hennessy says "put it on top of the pad" and proceeds to do just that. Actually, here is the link to the space blanket directions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diLG4KhMS8c

SilvrSurfr, I know in the past you have said you don't believe us HHSS or VB users when we say we don't have problems with condensation with our non-breathable systems. But there are more than a few of us here that have used this system on and off for years, and/or used a space blanket on top of down/synthetic UQs/pods, and/or VB clothing and get either no condensation, or any amount we do get is too minor to be concerned with. In the meantime, it keeps all kinds of condensation out of our insulation, which is an big benefit.

OTOH, we do see plenty of reports here of people encountering condensation when they are using totally breathable systems, though most often, at least on shorter trips, this will not be noticed or at least not a problem. Unless you are weighing your quilts or measuring loft daily, you will not notice condensation when using a breathable down quilt. Condensation that happens when body vapor contacts either the ice cold outer shell, or even the down and cold air a 1/4 to 1/2" before ever making it to that breathable shell. If not measuring daily, this condensation being soaked up into the down like a sponge will likely not be noticed, until loft has decreased enough to no longer be warm enough. That probably doesn't happen very often on the mostly shorter trips reported on around here. And particularly if there is at least some sunshine for drying, and of course back yard hanging unless you leave your quilts out for a few days, rather that bringing them in the house where they dry.

However, I do think unrecognized condensation contributes to a common situation. Ever notice how often folks say they ALWAYS take a quilt at least 10-20*F warmer than the coldest likely temp, even if the forecast is for temps a bit warmer than possible lows? Why is that, are these quilts just not as warm as rated for their average user? I suspect it is due to condensation in the down of these breathable quilts. A day or two on the trail with no sunshine, and people deep down are not quite confident that those quilts will be as warm as on day one.

Of course I'm just guessing about that. Me, I won't hesitate to go with a quilt a bit less warm than expected temps, if using VBs. And the length of the trip will be irrelevant to me, or the amount of sunshine. In fact, this HH system has proven totally bombproof on more than one week long trip, at least one of them with zero sunshine, and lots of mist and fog. My buddy with his breathable down system was getting quite nervous by the end of both of those trips. If I had any condensation, I could not tell it. Well, not counting the first night of trip two, sleeping beside the Hoh River in a rain forest in Olympic National Park. That night I DID NOT use the space blanket under my hammock but on top of my insulation, and I got plenty of condensation.

Frankly, since I generate plenty of sweat, and since I have also had my mishaps with condensation over the years, and since I figure the same applies to most of the folks here who have used the HHSS without condensation issues, I have got to where I attribute condensation problems with this system to user error. Mostly, a failure to or simple refusal to follow directions. Same things apply to VB use in general. But I am not alone in the view point about VB use. Just ask Andrew Skurka about his two long distance hikes across Michigan dead of winter, first trip with out VBs, 2nd with. or, there is this fellow right here named Derek Hanson - Dejoha - who has some very interesting writings about VB use. They saved him at least once from a cold, miserable night, temps I think were in the 40s, and his down had not gotten wet, but he was cold until he remembere his recent research into VBs and wrapped up in his tarp as a VB. Something like that.

But, of course, I could be wrong. Actually, I've been thinking about starting a new thread about the experiences of HHSS users. I think it has been quite a few years since I- or anyone else- did so. But last one, a majority reported good experiences at the rated temps or even below, and most had no condensation problems.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-10-2019 at 16:08.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    I e-mailed Hennessy about the bottom of the new 4 Season system, am waiting for a reply.

Maybe I missed something, but it looks like the new 4 Season hammock is the usual oxford fabric, with no vapor barrier.

In sub freezing temperatures, I have never had under condensation that was objectionable. A little, yes. In the grey OCF SS pad, or folds of a insulated Big Ag. Air Core pad. But most of the time none. And that is both with vapor barrier, and with out vapor barrier. Not saying it doesn't happen.
    I e-mailed them also, last night. Nothing yet. I also have a question about the under cover: is that gone? Or maybe just made breathable?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I e-mailed them also, last night. Nothing yet. I also have a question about the under cover: is that gone? Or maybe just made breathable?
    These are double layer hammocks like the one I reviewed (see video below) but with the Double Bubble pad replaced with a new OCF pad. It looks bigger than the old OCF pads, the critical question is "is it any thicker/warmer?" There must be some reason he's moving away from the bubble pads. They are clumsy and bulky, because they do not compress.

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast