Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Multiple
    Had time to hang it today. Didn't have too much time to play with it to completely review the system. I'm still fighting with the suspension. I have to find some alternatives or just learn the Hennessy way of doing it.

There are two small entry holes for the double layer. Inside there is the OCF pad. The pad is attached to tieouts of the hammock so it will keep in place. I didn't feel the pad under me which I thought was a good thing. Felt like laying on a bare hammock.
    It was a bit over 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 Celsius) so couldn't really get to test the insulation properties. I'm pretty confident it will hold above 5 Celsius.

The lay was good. Not perfect, but I didn't have time to adjust it properly so cannot fully review it.
    One peculiar thing I noted that Hennessy has an odd way of tying hammock ends. I feel like it makes the hammock bit smaller because it takes so more space from the ends as other tying methods I have seen. It also makes the ends more gathered. It's not so easy to "unwrap" the fabric.

Photo of my setup. Yes, I know it hangs too low and the hang angle could be better
    Hennessy hang.jpg
    Last edited by jaape; 05-11-2019 at 09:33. Reason: Forgot the photo

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. 14" hole to install insulation between layers does sound too small.

That ($1 store) stock space blanket is typical - I used mine for a year prior to replacing it with a SOL emergency blanket which is much quieter.

I keep my tarp seperate in a double end stuff sack (the tarp always deploys via the foot end so effectively a bishop bag)

Call/email Hennessey about the 14" access and the tree hugger issue. They need to know (and their customer service was great when I had questions about 12 years ago).
    I emailed them about the double layer holes being too small. I first thought could it be so the layers could trap air, but both of them are breathable so no.

I have become quite of an expert rolling the hammock inside the stuff sack. Still needs a bit power to get it in. Once it is in there is plenty of space to add other stuff as well. I could easily throw two sets of rainflys in there. Not sure how much repeated friction and strain from the stuffing the pad can withstand, but lets see.

After watching some videos about the becket hitch and billybobs explanation on this subforum I tested the becket hitch to get around the suspension issue I’m having. It really makes all the difference. Fast, easy, no need for hardware and my super long suspension straps can be used easily.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaape View Post
    I emailed them about the double layer holes being too small. I first thought could it be so the layers could trap air, but both of them are breathable so no.

I have become quite of an expert rolling the hammock inside the stuff sack. Still needs a bit power to get it in. Once it is in there is plenty of space to add other stuff as well. I could easily throw two sets of rainflys in there. Not sure how much repeated friction and strain from the stuffing the pad can withstand, but lets see.

After watching some videos about the becket hitch and billybobs explanation on this subforum I tested the becket hitch to get around the suspension issue I’m having. It really makes all the difference. Fast, easy, no need for hardware and my super long suspension straps can be used easily.
    Good deal! I was just about to post that exact suggestion to you. Even using what comes stock with a HH, it pretty well ends all the problems with that suspension, doesn't it? What did you do, tie a figure 8 or maybe a bowline in your stock HH rope, and then Becket your straps to that? I don't remember if I posted about it, but I ended up tying something called a "double figure 8" in my rope, which gives me 2 loops to take the load and wear at the Becket. Probably not needed, but I feel a little more secure. Of course, the main ripe coming out of the hammock is still single, but I have doubled it where most of the wear and tear should be. Then again, I have been tying into a single bow line loop on my Claytor on and off for 10 years, and it still holds! So probably not worth worrying about. Also, I figured out a way to make my double figure 8 slippery, so that I can untie it easier without using toggles.

Or, maybe you did this: Rather than tieing a semi-perm loop in your rope, you just ran your rope through the webbing loop and tied the Becket with your rope?
    But once you have some sort of loop in that HH rope, you are good for using any # of alternate knots. I don't think I would tell HH about the loops, not while still new, it might mess with the warranty. You never know.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-11-2019 at 14:29.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Glad your 2nd try was better. That dreaded learning curve. But we all go thru it.
    BillyBob does come up with some good ideas/recommendations and has assisted me too.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Good deal! I was just about to post that exact suggestion to you. Even using what comes stock with a HH, it pretty well ends all the problems with that suspension, doesn't it? What did you do, tie a figure 8 or maybe a bowline in your stock HH rope, and then Becket your straps to that? I don't remember if I posted about it, but I ended up tying something called a "double figure 8" in my rope, which gives me 2 loops to take the load and wear at the Becket. Probably not needed, but I feel a little more secure. Of course, the main ripe coming out of the hammock is still single, but I have doubled it where most of the wear and tear should be. Then again, I have been tying into a single bow line loop on my Claytor on and off for 10 years, and it still holds! So probably not worth worrying about. Also, I figured out a way to make my double figure 8 slippery, so that I can untie it easier without using toggles.

Or, maybe you did this: Rather than tieing a semi-perm loop in your rope, you just ran your rope through the webbing loop and tied the Becket with your rope?
    But once you have some sort of loop in that HH rope, you are good for using any # of alternate knots. I don't think I would tell HH about the loops, not while still new, it might mess with the warranty. You never know.
    I made a bowline knot in the stock rope and then made the Becket hitch with the strap and the loop. It seemed to hold well with just one knot. No slippings occured once it was properly tightened. I have to do some testing if something more secure is needed.

Here's one image. Not sure if picture tells more than the words this time

E0DA852F-45AD-4473-A637-87B69D769160.jpeg

I don't think it messes with the warranty. They are only knots after all. Would be hard to show true that a rope can only be tied in certain way or it damages something.
    Last edited by jaape; 05-11-2019 at 16:17. Reason: Fix weird single quotation mark issue

Hammock
    Multiple
    The new suspension tying method continues to hold. Single bowline knot and single becket seems to be all you need to tie the suspension. I might need some other variations if tree spacing is more narrow, but for now this is sufficient.

The rainfly attaching system is brilliant. It hold well all the wind I was thrown at. I added my waterbottle and the stuff sack to keep the tension in wind gusts.

72D2DB6E-835F-42D2-A006-9E2796DC984C.jpg
    F208425D-E768-408A-AB35-48D954264886.jpg
    8484ADDA-CB20-4CB9-BA38-1DB851428723.jpg
    09FBDCFB-E943-452F-819B-1CF27FDE8191.jpg
    95033461-5F56-4440-8A77-CC0EC20415F6.jpg
    66E7A6D0-7C9F-4C95-AEA1-01F591D3E8EC.jpg
    26AC05A1-3EB1-45F2-9F2D-D2234A051CA1.jpg

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Nice to get another Hennessy user in Tampere, Finland! I got my Explorer Ultralight last year, this year added a Cumulus Selva 450 underquilt to it (and in the autumn I'll probably switch my 3-season sleeping bag to a Cumulus Taiga 360 topquilt). I've been really happy (compared to my old DD Hammocks Travel Hammock, which was way too short). And somehow I haven't even had problems doing the Hennessy lashing.

Have you been able to test the insulation yet (the nights are again near freezing here in Tampere)? Any condensation problems (being more breathable material, I would guess not, but...)?

(About tensioning the tarp sides: I've noticed that often it's a good idea to do like in many Hennessy videos and take the hammock side tie-out shock cord to the tarp side loop (and maybe back, if the tarp is set low). That way your own weight helps pulling the tarp tighter in the wind. Pic below.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bitti; 05-12-2019 at 08:26.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Yey, go Tampere! I have tested the insulation only during the day. I took a nap today and I was warm with just a light fully opened sleeping bag. The temps have been around 10 Celsius during the day.

I ordered a quilt from cumulus too. I hate the confined feeling of a sleeping bag so I ordered their Quilt 450. It's supposed to arrive next week so i'm planning to test sleeping through the night then.

I actually just saw that same rainfly tension idea on a video. Looks neat.

Hammock
    I have many.. use them all
    Tarp
    Fimbul, HH Hex, SF
    Insulation
    Fimbul Twister UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Regarding the Becket hitch, I simply tie it with the suspension rope. Just like this https://youtu.be/tgyO2JnHE7g
    /Rasmus

www.instagram.com/fimbuloutdoors/
    www.fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.dk

Hammock
    Multiple
    Quote Originally Posted by Fimbul View Post
    Regarding the Becket hitch, I simply tie it with the suspension rope. Just like this https://youtu.be/tgyO2JnHE7g
    I couldn't understand anything you said in the video, but I'm pretty sure I got the hang of it Have to try that method out. Seems a lot easier and can be done even with shorter straps. I'm bit worried that is it more slippery that way around?

Btw, in a earlier post I complained a bit about Hennessy sending me the wrong straps. They were kind to send me the 42" straps also without any additional cost. Good customer service.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast