Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Tom's very informative note is very interesting, thank you for pursuing and sharing this.

FYI stuff:
    I don't normally have a moisture issue, so to/for me it seems the new 2 layer HHSS system would not be a good fit due to his quiote " We also have had reports that putting the space blanket under the open cell foam pad solved the problem of damp sleeping bag but with less efficient radiation."

I've found by being inside a mummy bag (vs using a TQ) when below about 40F provided me with the most comfort. My SB is synthetic so there is some bottom insulation when compressed as well as radiation heat from the SOL SB I use.

The only moisture issues I have had were 1) a calm cold night at 100% humidity (with ice fog) I had a couple tablespoons of water in the under cover, and 2) I used a GG Closed Cell pad as supplement insulation and the 36X30"CCF pad held the undercover sides open - I was on my side and my breath entered the UC and condensated/froze on the side of the UC = self inflicted issue.

Now I do have a simple mod I am trying this winter with good results so far (only tested for 2 nights so far). I took a large ~18" soft side cooler and disassembled it. The insulation is thin flexible foam with foil on one side - very light. I placed this thin light insulation on top of my OCF pad and under the SB and so far got to 30F = 10F better than my normal 40F comfort range.. I also made a 'kidney pad' from an 18" square and placed it right on my back (elastic on fleece sleep pants holds it in place). This worked great too.

Enough for now, Time to go shovel snow.
    You are pretty much where I am with this system. IOW, I never have an issue with damp anything, so I probably don't need the new solution, though it might be just the ticket for some. And who knows, I might even like it better if I tried it. But I am hesitant to give up the protection of the sil-nylon UC if it is not causing me a problem.

And what you said about the CCF pad causing the UC to fit poorly, and then condensation from your breath froze to the side of the UQ( good that it froze rather than running down into the UC?): I can totally see that happening. I can't say I have had it happen, but I have been concerned about just such a possibility. When I was in this system at 6F, and using the over cover, I was glad I used a frost bib. Though I ended up bone dry, without that ( and VB clothing? ) I might have ended up with a lot of condensation(probably, but can't know for sure), maybe even with some of it freezing to the UC/TC or running down the UC into my insulation. Would not surprise me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It might be warm and snug down into the teens, but I already went home", are you talking about the TQ( I think you are ) or the HH under insulation?
    I meant putting a fleece blanket under me in the hammock to supplement the Supershelter. Around freezing,that TQ is very comfortable, but the Supershelter could use some help to go from chilly but survivable to comfortable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    I meant putting a fleece blanket under me in the hammock to supplement the Supershelter. Around freezing,that TQ is very comfortable, but the Supershelter could use some help to go from chilly but survivable to comfortable.
    I agree, for me about freezing has been my limit over the years. However, adding a fleece jacket and/or other items of insulation down UNDER the HH OCF pad, I have spent many comfy nights well below 20F. Often, this has been clothing I already had with me any way, but which was not needed for sleeping. So instead of storing it in my pack, I just used it to significantly increase the thickness of the insulation under me, without compressing it by wearing it while sleeping in the hammock. Has always worked for me like a charm, without fail.

Hammock
    Multiple
    I wanted a new hammock and was between HH 4 Season models, the Warbonnet Heavy XLC and the Amok Draumr.

I just ordered the 4 Season Explorer XL. I’m eager to see how it fares in our cold spring nights. Night temperatures still go below freezing so I’ll get to test it properly.

Had to do some digging as hennessy website doesn’t show all the relevant information about the 4 Season hammocks. The length measurement is inconsistent in metric and imperial. The XL model shows the length as 130”/305cm. I emailed them about the error, but it was still there. I quess the 130” is correct.

I emailed customer service about the shown weights. The Total weight shown includes the tarp, the hammock and the padding, but not the SOL sheet.

The pad weighs 285 g (10 ounces) for the XL model. Leaving the hammock weighing (if my calculations are correct) 1378 g (3.038 lb).

Hennessy’s hammock body is 44 % heavier comparing to the XLC with continous loops. The real difference is most likely less as the suspension adds some weight to the body as well.

When including the suspension, the tarp and some insulation the weight difference is however much less.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Oh the stuff sack for the 4 Season explorer weighs 100 g (3.5 oz). That is included in the total weight. I forgot to deduct that. So the hammock (presumably) weighs only 1278 grams (2.81 lb).

I really dislike hennessy's website not showing all the relevant information. Why not just show how much the hammock weighs by itself?

You can also tell they do a lot of copy pasting as the specification, description and information show inconsistent information.
    For example:
    - The description page shows the pad is 100 cm wide. The included page tells you it is 91 cm wide.
    - The description page shows the compression size is 18 cm * 40 cm. The description shows 20 cm * 38 cm
    - The length of the hammock is different in inches as it is in centimeters

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Let us know how this works for you and if you get the newer SS (SOL between OCF pad and undercover) or the older SS (SOL between hammock and pad). I use my smaller model (Backpacker UL with older SS) in cool and cool weather. Mine comes in at 3 lbs or 1360g for the SS, Tarp, hammock and suspension/tree straps.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Isn’t the space blanket (the SOL sheet) just an additional layer that you can place wherever you like?

The 4 Season models don’t have undercovers btw. These hammocks don’t have that traditional SuperShelter system. Only OCF pad between layers.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I just re-read the link in the initial post and now understand what you ordered - the new 4 season XL system. Please provide a evaluation when you get going with it. This new HH insulation method is new to most of us and you are one of the 1st here to get one.
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Multiple
    I finally received the hammock. Some first impressions. This is my first Hennessy Hammock.
    - The included stuff sack is quite large. I think this is due to the OCF pad taking space
    - The stuff sack is really snug. You have to work with getting the hammock back in. I managed to do this several times so it's doable. You can get the rainfly to fit in there also
    - The double bottom has only 35 cm (~14 inches) wide entry hole. I don't know why they made it so small. I tried putting my home made pad with SPE inside and it's doable. Not easy. You have to put it inside in a roll and unroll while inside. And when taking out you have to roll it again
    - The included SOL-sheet is really just an emergency blanket. I expected something little more
    - I ordered the 42" straps and asked if they can add the 72" to my basket as an extra, because I couldn't add them myself. They sent me only pair of 96" straps.

So I was planning to set it up last night to test it during the night. I failed miserably as I couldn't figure out how to tie the suspension. The 96" straps didn't help there either. I found some videos explaining how to do it, but the time I finally managed to tie the knots it had become so dark I decided to head back home in frustration.

Good thing I have pair of TTTM tree straps lying around. I will use those hopefully today when I get to set it up again.

Here is a picture of the stuff sack including the 4 Season system and a rainfly with a snake skin on *Exped Synmat 9 LW and Segl XL for comparison.

HennessyHammock1.jpg

I try to get more pictures once I actually set it up.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Thank you for the feedback. 14" hole to install insulation between layers does sound too small.

That ($1 store) stock space blanket is typical - I used mine for a year prior to replacing it with a SOL emergency blanket which is much quieter.

I keep my tarp seperate in a double end stuff sack (the tarp always deploys via the foot end so effectively a bishop bag)

Call/email Hennessey about the 14" access and the tree hugger issue. They need to know (and their customer service was great when I had questions about 12 years ago).
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast