Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Pup Tent now available at Dutchware

We like our dogs at Dutchware and we like to take our dogs hiking with us. However some don't do so well in a hammock but we have the solution. We have been working on a small tent that hangs form the suspension of the hammock for about six months now. The body is made of xenon 5300 for so it is extra resistant to those sharp claws. It simply hangs for the suspension of your hammock and is staked out on three corners. It only takes about 1 minute to set up. There is a bathtub bottom and a nanoseeum zippered door. It comes in it's own stuff sack. The best part is it only weighs 274 grams or less than 10 ounces. You will get a better night sleep knowing your pup will be safe and dry in it's own little doghouse. These are made by Dutchware and of course Made in the USA.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/pup-tent/
    pup-tent-1.jpg
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    12' CRO Lounger
    Tarp
    12' Hideaway Hex
    Insulation
    CRO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Man you guys are killing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes nothing is a pretty cool hand.
    -Coolhand Luke-
    http://cedarridgegear.com/
    http://facebook.com/crocustom Give us a

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    This makes me very happy!!! But dang it my wishlist is already a mile long

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Awesome! Similar concept to a DIY pup tent I’ve been using for a couple of years now except a LOT nicer! (Of course!!!). Looking at yours, Dutch, I know what would really improve mine (a bathtub floor like your has!) but I don’t really see how I could get it to stay up on the open side without the netting.

29F50255-27E4-4603-AFFA-2974F78D9D33.jpeg

6A5FF399-1069-46CD-B363-C7DFF86EA542.jpeg
    (photos taken at the MO Frozen Butt Hang last weekend)

I started out hanging my pup tent from my hammock’s ridgeline at the head end, but now I use a separate ridgeline that runs between the same two trees as my hammock but coming off the opposite side of the trees and is a bit lower than my tarp ridgeline. The advantage to that is that movement of my hammock through the night (especially getting in and out) doesn’t affect tension of the pup tent walls. Also, on its own ridgeline, I can hang the pup tent a little closer to the center of my hammock (though still towards the head or foot end) and angle the opening of the pup tent more towards my hammock, thus affording my dog a little bit more shelter from the wind. Also, that way I can use a prussick knot as an adjustable anchor point along the ridgeline to attach a short length of mule tape to that I use to tether my dog. That way he can come and go at will in and out of his pup tent but not reach my tarp stakes to get tangled up. Of course, with your Cadillac version, Dutch, there would be no need for a tie out point because my dog would be zipped up inside the tent. What I like most about your design, though, is that bathtub floor! I have worried that if I ever was in a real gully washer my dog wouldn’t have much protection from water running in under my hammock. There was one time I was camping in just such a situation, but my truck was with me, so I put the dog in the truck for the night. I often backpack with my DIY pup tent and in THAT scenario I’d be in a pickle if under my hammock turned into a stream during the night. I like the bathtub floor design...but would still like the door side to be open instead of netted for my own dog. If you come out with an option that maintains the bathtub floor but is open instead of netted on that side I’ll buy the first one!!! I like my dog to be able to choose whether he sleeps in the open ground, peeking out under my tarp or shielded from the wind in his pup tent. Besides, I think if I zipped my German Shepherd up in a pup tent, he’d go right through the netting if he decided he needed to protect camp from something. Tethering him slows him down long enough for me to assess the threat myself.

Could you design one, Dutch, that is open (no net) but still maintains a solid bathtub flooring...structured enough and HIGH enough that the dog won’t be apt to lay half in half out, thus flattening out the bathtub? I’ll order a custom one today if you know a way to make it work! Could you do a custom design like that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 01-09-2019 at 20:15.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Awesome! Similar concept to a DIY pup tent I’ve been using for a couple of years now except a LOT nicer! (Of course!!!). Looking at yours, Dutch, I know what would really improve mine (a bathtub floor like your has!) but I don’t really see how I could get it to stay up on the open side without the netting.

29F50255-27E4-4603-AFFA-2974F78D9D33.jpeg

6A5FF399-1069-46CD-B363-C7DFF86EA542.jpeg
    (photos taken at the MO Frozen Butt Hang last weekend)

I started out hanging my pup tent from my hammock’s ridgeline at the head end, but now I use a separate ridgeline that runs between the same two trees as my hammock but coming off the opposite side of the trees and is a bit lower than my tarp ridgeline. The advantage to that is that movement of my hammock through the night (especially getting in and out) doesn’t affect tension of the pup tent walls. Also, on its own ridgeline, I can hang the pup tent a little closer to the center of my hammock (though still towards the head or foot end) and angle the opening of the pup tent more towards my hammock, thus affording my dog a little bit more shelter from the wind. Also, that way I can use a prussick knot as an adjustable anchor point along the ridgeline to attach a short length of mule tape to that I use to tether my dog. That way he can come and go at will in and out of his pup tent but not reach my tarp stakes to get tangled up. Of course, with your Cadillac version, Dutch, there would be no need for a tie out point because my dog would be zipped up inside the tent. What I like most about your design, though, is that bathtub floor! I have worried that if I ever was in a real gully washer my dog wouldn’t have much protection from water running in under my hammock. There was one time I was camping in just such a situation, but my truck was with me, so I put the dog in the truck for the night. I often backpack with my DIY pup tent and in THAT scenario I’d be in a pickle if under my hammock turned into a stream during the night. I like the bathtub floor design...but would still like the door side to be open instead of netted for my own dog. If you come out with an option that maintains the bathtub floor but is open instead of netted on that side I’ll buy the first one!!! I like my dog to be able to choose whether he sleeps in the open ground, peeking out under my tarp or shielded from the wind in his pup tent. Besides, I think if I zipped my German Shepherd up in a pup tent, he’d go right through the netting if he decided he needed to protect camp from something. Tethering him slows him down long enough for me to assess the threat myself.

Could you design one, Dutch, that is open (no net) but still maintains a solid bathtub flooring...structured enough and HIGH enough that the dog won’t be apt to lay half in half out, thus flattening out the bathtub? I’ll order a custom one today if you know a way to make it work! Could you do a custom design like that?
    Wow that is cool. We can make it without the door but I can't guarantee a your dog isn't going to lay on it and smash it down. Even if I put a pole across it, it can still lay on it. I have seen dogs lay on much more uncomfortable things. However I think yours is quite good and you dog has it pretty cozy. Site location can make it so you don't need the bathtub bottom IMO. If the dog is more comfortable half out, so be it IMO.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Wow that is cool. We can make it without the door but I can't guarantee a your dog isn't going to lay on it and smash it down. Even if I put a pole across it, it can still lay on it. I have seen dogs lay on much more uncomfortable things. However I think yours is quite good and you dog has it pretty cozy. Site location can make it so you don't need the bathtub bottom IMO. If the dog is more comfortable half out, so be it IMO.
    How much extra would it cost if you customized a pup tent for me like this:

The blackened area being the floor material extended up to above the circular opening (so that the opening is set into and fully surrounded by the tougher floor material). Then the light blue triangular area above that be the noseeum netting. That would allow venting out the always open circular doorway as well as the front panel at the peak. No zippers. And it probably would be hot enough the dog wouldn’t use it in the summer but it would be awesome for cold weather camping, especially with a ccf pad thrown down in the floor of it. I’m thinking the bottom of the circular doorway should be at least 14 inches off the ground. If it was circular and just large enough for the shepherd to crawl in, and that far off the ground, he might be less likely to lay across the doorway half in and half out...plus, when he’s curled up sleeping inside, that’d be an extra 14 inches of wind protection at the bottom on the “open” side of the shelter. Do you think the netting at the peak and the somewhat smallish circular doorway would allow enough ventilation to avoid a lot of condensation? And I’m assuming the walls are made of a material that would block wind and any rain that might blow in low under my hammock tarp?

Are there any other modifications that you would suggest? I’m getting excited thinking about the prospect! I really think my shepherd needs his own Dutch bling! (He has a few bits of bling on his DIY pup tent—a Dutch clip on the dedicated ridgeline and two PackTach’s securing the top of his current tent to the ridgeline—but I think he’d really love the whole enchilada!!!...a winter Dutch palace!!!...or Tri-gloo!!!).

Update: I JUST now saw Sintax 77’s review. I’m looking at Denali in the pup tent, though, and wondering if my dog, Rem, will fit. Just grabbed a tape measure. When standing naturally the tips of his ears are 38.5” off the ground and from butt to nose he is 42” long and when he sprawls out on the floor, he lengthens to 54” with his tail tucked in close to his body. And he’s really tired of me stalking him with the noisy metal tape measure! I see on your site that the pup tent is 58” all around. So the base should be ok as long as it doesn’t narrow too quickly leading up to the peak? Hard for me to visualize what the proportions would work out to.

Please feel free just to e-mail me an estimate for a customized pup tent. I probably should’ve been e-mailing my questions rather than putting them in a post here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 01-10-2019 at 07:37.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you Dutch and to your amazing team! I cannot wait to try this with my guy! I love hanging with him but sometimes the chameleon gets a bit crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Many Thanks for bringing this to market Dutch! Can we get Print2fabric designs as well with the Pup Tent?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I see on your web site that you will be coming out with a pup tent with a pole option....when do you think that one will be available ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I see on your web site that you will be coming out with a pup tent with a pole option....when do you think that one will be available ?
    It is the same tent. We put beastee Ds in place and they will hold poles that make it like a teepee. So we just need to put to design the poles and put them on the site.
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-10-2019 at 17:10.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast