Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF

2 nights in S. Florida

In a couple weeks, I'm headed to the Miami area. I'll have 2 nights where I'd love to find a place to hang within a 2 hour drive of Kendall. I've had some physical issues and can maybe hike 5-6 miles a day. I really do not like the idea of sloshing through marshy areas though. Are there any trails that would have a quiet place to hang in S. Florda?

Also, it looks as though the Florida Trail Association recommends a 20 degree bag for winter. That seems a bit extreme for what I'd use in an area where the highs and lows are similar to Wisconsin weather in early Sep. For that I'd take a 40 degree uq and topquilt unless the forecast was really whacky. What am I missing?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Just watch the weather forecasts. I'm in central FL and we did have a "cold" snap that hit the upper 40s lately. No way you need a 20F bag, especially even farther south.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    The Trail Association is going overboard on their recommendation because there are TOO MANY people unprepared for the weather. I heard a statistic that more people in Florida die from “exposure” than any other state. I believe it because “exposure” includes hot and cold weather and people in Florida are not prepared for the daily changes in weather especially when you include rain.

I don’t have a trail recommendation for you, but report back if you have a good trip. I am always looking for new places to visit.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sorry to hear that you won't be in upper central Florida for Hangcon. South Florida is known for not having overnight camping sites or extensive trails. I only know of 2 options within 2 hours of Kendall. First one, which would be the beginning of the Florida Trail at the Oasis Center (N25° 51.426' W81° 01.975') However, not sure how wet the trail will be since Florida had a pretty wet summer and most of the water in Florida flows south through the Aquifer, into the Everglades, which happens to be where the Oasis Center is.

Secondly, and I think this might be your answer, is Jonathan Dickinson state park (16450 S.E. Federal Hwy. Hobe Sound, FL 33455), which does have primitive camping and a pretty good trail system. Technically part of the Florida Trail system, they have hiking loops that the FTA volunteers and the State Forestry Division maintain. Have a great trip!
    Last edited by lilricky; 01-10-2019 at 10:44.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Sorry to hear that you won't be in upper central Florida for Hangcon. South Florida is known for not having overnight camping sites or extensive trails. I only know of 2 options within 2 hours of Kendall. First one, which would be the beginning of the Florida Trail at the Oasis Center (N25° 51.426' W81° 01.975') However, not sure how wet the trail will be since Florida had a pretty wet summer and most of the water in Florida flows south through the Aquifer, into the Everglades, which happens to be where the Oasis Center is.

Secondly, and I think this might be your answer, is Jonathan Dickinson state park (16450 S.E. Federal Hwy. Hobe Sound, FL 33455), which does have primitive camping and a pretty good trail system. Technically part of the Florida Trail system, they have hiking loops that the FTA volunteers and the State Forestry Division maintain. Have a great trip!
    Thanks for the tip on Jonathon Dickinson SP. I'm going to aim for that. I don't think it is in the cards for me to make it all the way to HangCon. That's just a little too far. Sounds like a jolly good time, though.

Edit to ask: Would I need a bug net at this time of year?
    Last edited by Loonatic; 01-10-2019 at 15:24.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Thank you for the Jonathon Dickinson suggestion. I hammocked two nights there on Mon and Tue night. I had a bug net, but could have left it behind, although it gives me a couple of degrees of warmth that actually helped. My thermometer recorded lows of 47 & 48 degrees, and I was right at the bottom edge of my comfort range for the gear I had. Nevertheless, I slept well both nights. It was awesome hiking weather the first day--low 60s and cloudy. The day I hiked out it was a bit hot for my liking and the lack of shade started to get too me, but I reached the car by noon. I really enjoyed the isolation on the back trails, and the sound of sandhill cranes which I normally get in the summer in Wisconsin. The sandy trails and topic plant life is like an alien world to a Wisconsinite. I didn't see another human for the first 36 hours I was there, then met a total of two others on day two and day three. That's the kind of isolated hiking I enjoy.

I only saw one running water once, and the pump near the Scrub Jay campground was bone dry. Perhaps there was another trail with more water, and it kind of goes without saying, but be sure to fill your water bottles and hydrate when you see running water, even if you are in a hurry to get to camp.

The day I hiked out it was -30F back home. I felt so bad missing out on that.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Glad you were able to enjoy a little of what Florida has to offer.

Go on over to Trip Reports and leave a report with pics if you have them. Share the "Alien" tropical world with the rest of the Frozen North.

If you get back down here next year during MLK weekend, come on out to HangCon 2020 in the Ocala National Forest. We'll be hiking 7-10 miles of the Florida Trail from Farles Prairie to Alexander Springs on Friday.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts