Hammock
    netless hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    undecided

Some Newbie Underquilt questions.

I'm still rather new to hammock camping and so far only Hung in the summer, therefore I have minimal knowledge when it comes to under-quilts.

I Live in Texas where the summers are sometimes in the 90's at night and I love the hammock in the summer because it allows for a cooler experience. I was recently given the ok (from the wife) to get new gear and settled on getting an underquilt (one single underquilt). The short of the matter is; would it be better to get a 40 degree, or 20 degree underquilt?

Since I live in Texas, the winters are like the rest of the countries spring/fall with temperatures rarely getting to freezing. On average the the min temp is around 40-50 depending on whether it is January or February. I do want flexibility however since I do plan on heading more north (Mn, Co, DC) in the spring. everyone talks about the comfort rating approaching or surpassing the "20 degree" rating, however, I haven't exactly found any discussion regarding the upper comfort level and the ability to not be too warm say when the temp is in the 50's.

I have heard about venting, but is that something that you constantly have to manage during the night or is it something that if you get it right during setup you can turn the 20 degree into an overstuffed and heavier 40 degree?

I am a warmer sleeper if it makes any difference.

I hope I made myself clear and if there already is a post that reflects this one feel free to direct me there.

Second question; Underquilt protection. Is it a must have? I'm terrified of getting this nice new underquilt just to have it soaked from rain backsplash/drippage because I pitched my tarp crappy, I'm still figuring this all out haha.

Thanks
    Smokey

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a video I have on venting a UQ.
    Several ways to do it.
    I often use my 20º UQs in 40º weather.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    netless hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    undecided
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is a video I have on venting a UQ.
    Several ways to do it...
    Oh Shug, where would we be without you? Of COURSE you have a video that explains all... haha, I feel so dumb because I've already seen this video but i tend to forget things.

Thanks

I'd go with a 20 degree under quilt. You can always leave air gaps between the hammock and under quilt.

One time in the summer in the Adirondacks of upstate NY, it was a very warm evening but cooler air was expected to move in during the night. I started out by hanging my 20 degree UQ very low so that it wasn't really contacting my hammock but I ran a cord to my suspension at the head end so that I could raise it up during the night. It worked really well and if I didn't have to get out to pee during the night, I could have stayed in the hammock as I adjusted the warmth of my sleep system . . . kind of like turning up the dial on an electric blanket.

Images
    For you specific situation, i would actually recommend the Gemini Underquilt design, assuming you can snag the blankets from Costco and would be willing to put a bit of DIY time into it. Normally i would recommend it as a budget option, but for your temperature range it seems just right. It converts into 3 modes for 3 seasons to cover everything from freezing up to "just need a little som'm sum'm" in the summertime.

As for UQ protectors: generally you don't need one unless you know you need one. Reasons would include some combination of sideways rain, hard storms, wind strong enough to turn your setup into a kite, or extreme cold.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyBugle View Post
    Second question; Underquilt protection. Is it a must have? I'm terrified of getting this nice new underquilt just to have it soaked from rain backsplash/drippage because I pitched my tarp crappy, I'm still figuring this all out haha.
    Not a must have, but a nice to have. They do accomplish at least 2 things.

1. They will keep mud and water from being splashed up onto the UQ. Say it's raining at an angle and the tarp is keeping the rain from directly hitting your gear before the drops hit the ground, but the angle is such that the upward splash from the raindrops after they hit the ground would get on your gear. Especially if it's muddy, it's better to have that mud splash onto the UQP that the UQ itself, since the UQP is easier to wash.

2. In cold, windy conditions, a loosely hung UQP can prevent warmth from being robbed from the UQ. Wind will cause convective heat transfer away from the UQ, but this is reduced by using a properly hung UQP.

On really warm summer nights, the UQP could possibly even be used by itself instead of the UQ.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Some Newbie Underquilt questions.

I use my UQP any time its windy or raining. Is it absolutely necessary? No way. But i think it helps, especially considering how expensive down quilts are.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I lived in TX for a few years, and I had no issues using a WBBB XLC with the 20* Yeti UQ. When it was warm I'd leave it rigged, but on the side, then if it cooled off I'd slip it in place. If it was in between, I'd slide it down to cool my upper body or vice versa.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    You might want an underquilt protector if you tend to use a small tarp. Or if you happen to end up on the ground.

E.g: I once used nylon straps at an angle (much) less than 30 degrees and they stretched until I was sitting on the ground. Lesson Learned.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

• + New Posts