I'm still rather new to hammock camping and so far only Hung in the summer, therefore I have minimal knowledge when it comes to under-quilts.

I Live in Texas where the summers are sometimes in the 90's at night and I love the hammock in the summer because it allows for a cooler experience. I was recently given the ok (from the wife) to get new gear and settled on getting an underquilt (one single underquilt). The short of the matter is; would it be better to get a 40 degree, or 20 degree underquilt?

Since I live in Texas, the winters are like the rest of the countries spring/fall with temperatures rarely getting to freezing. On average the the min temp is around 40-50 depending on whether it is January or February. I do want flexibility however since I do plan on heading more north (Mn, Co, DC) in the spring. everyone talks about the comfort rating approaching or surpassing the "20 degree" rating, however, I haven't exactly found any discussion regarding the upper comfort level and the ability to not be too warm say when the temp is in the 50's.

I have heard about venting, but is that something that you constantly have to manage during the night or is it something that if you get it right during setup you can turn the 20 degree into an overstuffed and heavier 40 degree?

I am a warmer sleeper if it makes any difference.

I hope I made myself clear and if there already is a post that reflects this one feel free to direct me there.

Second question; Underquilt protection. Is it a must have? I'm terrified of getting this nice new underquilt just to have it soaked from rain backsplash/drippage because I pitched my tarp crappy, I'm still figuring this all out haha.

Thanks
Smokey