Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For go to ground situations in non-winter temps I use ¾ length old Therm-a-Rest Guide. Also, I found it "okay" during the summer if it was in a DL GE hammock or between the hammock and UQP on a SL hammock. I looked at the current fancy (over $100) air mattress types at REI. It seemed to me that I could just buy one of those $1.00 "swim" air mattresses mentioned early and then put some cornflakes in a ziplock bag and crunch them next to my ear every half hour instead.

I understand the advantage of Yellow/Silver is there are no moving parts - nothing to blowup/seal. Others have said there is no radiation reflection benefit from the silver side because all contact is conduction. Just me, but my experience is comfort is worth a few ounces. We had no "ultralite" materials when I did my Thru-hike. Yet we made it. We didn't suffer (much). But we weren't trying for any daily/speed records. Just get up, have breakfast, break camp, hike until nearly dark or planned camp site. Repeat.

Pad for ground/floor use on AT?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    . Just me, but my experience is comfort is worth a few ounces. We had no "ultralite" materials when I did my Thru-hike. Yet we made it. We didn't suffer (much). But we weren't trying for any daily/speed records. Just get up, have breakfast, break camp, hike until nearly dark or planned camp site. Repeat.
    So much this.
    Going lighter is pretty much always better, until you go stupid light, of course, but once you’re out there it matters a lot less.

Like, you’ll spend hours researching online about different rain jackets; event vs gortex and all that. Or xpac vs DCF. Or an Osprey vs a cottage pack like ULA and SWD.

Once you’re out there though none of that matters. When the rain comes you don’t think let me grab my 7.4 ounce gore paclite arcteryx shell...you just think aw crap and grab the little bundle in your pack and throw it on and keep walking.

We geek out about gear before we go but once we’re on trail for a few weeks you perspective will change dramatically.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Nope .... that didn't happen. Nobody ever hiked before ultralight gear.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Popps View Post
    Shrewd wrote up a great post trip report on his thru-hike saying he suffered on hard surfaces about 5 times. Chop added he uses half of a Z-rest pad for such occasions. I am debating is it worth the extra 9-10 oz and funky yellow/silver strap-on (sorry, that sounds totally wrong!) to carry a folding pad for those few times. Another report by a soon-to-be repeat hiker said he wants to engage more socially by staying in hostels, huts and the like which would increase the odds of a hard floor or 2x4 bunk.

So AT veterans, what say you? Be lighter and slimmer yet lose sleep a few times, OR have a bread box hanging off your pack and endure hard surfaces more easily? I really do not plan to stay in many shelters to avoid mice, snores, and waking up at least two people when I have to water a tree in the middle of the night.

Thanks in advance!

Popps
    If you would like a pad I suggest bringing both. For me the underquilt is magnitudes better than a pad comfort wise. If I were to carry a pad I'd splurge for the thermorest neo air blow up one. I am a stomach/side sleeper and a zlite is pretty useless for me. Note: I hiked the majority of the AT with pieces of the z lite and am trying to keep you from making the same mistake. I had the blow up pad and my luxiorous 3/4 underquilt for the pct and I'll most likely go that route if I do any other long distance trails with a hammock. The weight adder for a blow up pad versus a foam one is more than worth it to me but I quit trying to be ultralight long long ago.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Two Speed, you have the experience to back up your words, so I listen. Did you routinely use the blow up pad in your hammock along with the UQ? If so, was it under your legs only, under your torso, or full length? Did you reduce the inflation of the pad to get more comfort?
    Oh yeah, how old are you (roughly)? Things change.

If you’re not sure start with both

You’ll probably send the of back home.

It cannnnnn be nice to just toss a pad in a shelter but on a bad rainy day (the only time I’d do so) they are crowded and wet.

I got over hostels after North Carolina - the bunks aren’t comfy. Once I got over the realization that I was just desperate for a shower and reprieve I realized I preferred my hammock.

Some hostels are set up for this.

I value Two Speed’s advice but I’m actually trying to cut weight for my upcoming PCT attempt and am going to the ground for the desert

Anyway I’m rambling; if I was doing the AT again I wouldn’t bring a pad again. Don’t let my stories of 5 rough nights worry you; 5 nights weighed against 6 months is trivial.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Popps View Post
    u.willie,
    Yeah, interesting idea using reflectix. I just bought a roll to insulate the metal tubs my wife uses for growing vegetables. The tubs heat up in the sun and can burn the roots so I line the inside before adding soil. I will lay that out on the tile floor and see how it feels.
    Thanks!
    Popps
    Check out Thermofelt 615. It's a little more expensive, but not too bad from Cyberweld. It has zero heat transference, so you use it in a layering system with reflectix on the outside. It's a plumber's pad that has like an 1800 degree working temperature

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Trambo,
    Do you know if the Thermofelt is carbon felt? I did a quick search for it online and saw that a 6'x6' piece weighs ~16oz? (or is that the weight of the fabric, like 1.9oz nylon, or 1.3 oz nylon?) and can be had for around $80. Cut in half, or quarters, that'd make the price per pad not so bad.
    I do wonder if it's carbon felt, and if so - how healthy is breathing in an untold number of carbon threads/fibers from it each time it is moved, disturbed, folded/unfolded, rolled/unroalled, etc...
    I'd bet it's R-value is pretty high considering what it is used for. So when it's cold that'd be a big plus.

Then the "normal" .... if it's better than reflectix, how much? cheaper? lighter? higher R-value? more cushion? less bulk?

My interest is peaked, but with some questions...

willin'

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post
    Trambo,
    Do you know if the Thermofelt is carbon felt? I did a quick search for it online and saw that a 6'x6' piece weighs ~16oz? (or is that the weight of the fabric, like 1.9oz nylon, or 1.3 oz nylon?) and can be had for around $80. Cut in half, or quarters, that'd make the price per pad not so bad.
    I do wonder if it's carbon felt, and if so - how healthy is breathing in an untold number of carbon threads/fibers from it each time it is moved, disturbed, folded/unfolded, rolled/unroalled, etc...
    I'd bet it's R-value is pretty high considering what it is used for. So when it's cold that'd be a big plus.

Then the "normal" .... if it's better than reflectix, how much? cheaper? lighter? higher R-value? more cushion? less bulk?

My interest is peaked, but with some questions...

willin'
    Its 2.05 pounds for the 6'x6' piece.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Ahhh.... so then, that seems to be the weight of the fabric then, and clearly - not - the weight of the piece. That is an important consideration for sure. Thank you chromedome for answering that.

willin'

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast