Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Please help me 😊 - underquilt issues

Hi, everyone. I know this is an overplayed topic, and I hope the answer is some of this will be fixed when my full length UQ comes in. I ordered my wife a “short” HG incubator. We have used pads up to now. I was messing with it earlier and had a couple of issues - 1) my primary suspension on the foot end kept slipping as soon as I released the shock cord, with no weight in the hammock. 2) the quilt would slip off the foot end and only cover a portion of my body.

Is this because it is a short and I am 5’10? I have a regular length CRO coming this week, but am hopeful to have some of this sorted out. I’ve watched the content available from Shug and others, and feel that it’s reasonably adjusted...but could be wrong given what’s happening.

Thank you in advance for any help or thoughts.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Teags View Post
    1) my primary suspension on the foot end kept slipping as soon as I released the shock cord, with no weight in the hammock. 2) the quilt would slip off the foot end and only cover a portion of my body.
    Hard to make sense out of what you are saying. What do you mean when you say, "my primary suspension on the foot end kept slipping as soon as I released the shock cord?" I don't really understand why one would "release the shock cord." I also have no idea what "the quilt would slip off the foot end and only cover a portion of my body" means. You may need to provide pics or a video for people to be able to assist you.

Sounds like you need to better understand how the UQ suspension works by reading this:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=suspension

I have never figured out a way to adjust the primary and secondary suspension by myself (because I'm in the hammock and can't see anything). I've always had an experienced user help me adjust my underquilt when I first get it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got any pictures of what's happening? I'm trying to picture what you mean by the quilt slipping off the foot end. Without seeing it, I'm only guessing but is the shock cord too long maybe? Does it work better once you lie down in the hammock and get adjusted?

At 5'10" you're only an inch taller than me, and I've been happy with a 3/4 length quilt. The foot end shock cord runs over my feet and I like to hook my right foot under the cord so I know it's in place properly. Bad comes to worse, since you're in Smyrna, there are quite a few hangers in Georgia probably not too far away from you who could run over and take a look in person. I'm more like almost 2 hours away but if you want to drive a bit, shoot me a PM. But photos might be a big help here on the forums.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Bur 30
    Images
    Is your "main" suspension shock cord connected to the "S" Beener..? I had a similar issue, and discovered that mine was not. That suspension will lift the UQ up, then the secondary will "pull" or "stretch out" the UQ.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I attach the foot side and head side of my HG Incubator directly to the tie out on the foot side and head side of my hammock to stop this from happening. I attached a small loop of cord on the foot side and head side of the UQ and then another small loop of cord on the foot side and head side of the hammock (on the tie outs). Then I secure each together using a tiny locking carabiner (locking so that the teeth of the biner don't bite the hammock material and damage it). That way the foot end stays exactly where it is supposed to, as does the head end. Works really well. I've even added the same loop of cord to my UGQ underquilt and when I stack the 2 underquilts I attach all three points (the UGQ, the HG and the hammock itself). Nothing moves anymore.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm not sure about the issues you mention with the suspension, but I personally had a HUGE struggle with the short Incubator. Bottom line, just because the length covers you on paper (I'm 5'9") doesn't mean it's a proper fit in practice. I had to sell both of my "short" incubators and go back to the standard. Against much advice here, I originally went with the short, come to find out when Hammockgear says a short fits those "5'2 to 5'7" they weren't joking. It mostly has to do with the leg shelf design and where that starts/fit on your body.

Full thread: " UQ not working on 11’er"

• + New Posts