Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Tarp Selection

Looking to purchase some tarps.

My daughter has an 8' Micro Lair and I have an 11' Trail Lair.

The long-term plan is to get a Winter Haven that will cover both of us at the same time, but in the meantime, I am looking for suggestions for separate 3-Season tarps that would provide adequate coverage for beginners in mostly mild weather. (At least at the beginning we will stay away from high winds and torrential downpours as much as possible)

Looking for something that will be easy to set up and adjust as well as something that won't break the bank.

We have no experience at all with camping or setting up tarps or DIY so it needs to be as idiot-proof as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    If weight is not an issue get a Kelty Noah 12x12. Bullet proof with lots of tie outs. I have had mine for about 5 years now and it has done everything from cover 2 hammocks to covering a picnic table for rain/sun protection. Biggest draw back is it not light.

If you watch Amazon they will sometimes go on sale in the 50.00 range.

Here ya go, a decent review and some ways to set it up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TeBbLsMwHw
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Images
    I also have a Kelty Noah 12 and second that it is a good tarp for the money, just not light weight or highly packable. I use this one as a sun shelter for car camping or at outdoor parties, but many use it with hammocks. As a bigger tarp, it requires a relatively large span between trees and may not work well with the stands you have.

Another suggestion for a relatively low cost would be Jared's simplicity asym tarp, which is fitting since you've already got gear from SLD. This is a basic tarp, but great quality like everything else Jared makes. It's also simple to set up since it only has 2 tie outs, and it comes in your choice of color, unlike the Noah.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...m-hammock-tarp

Lastly, if you do go for 2 separate tarps, I'd humbly suggest you buy them both in "adult" size, at least 11 feet. When your daughter is ready to step up from the smaller hammock, the tarp will be one less thing you'll have to buy twice.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    While the two options offered up above are fine products, I would recommend you go a different route. Since you are new hangers, and even despite the fact that you’ll one day upgrade from your initial choice, I would go with an 11 foot hex tarp (silnylon or sil-poly). They easily pitch nice and tight, offer good coverage for most conditions, are light and durable, and they may even be all you’ll ever need if you decide you like hanging under your individual tarps. UGQ Hanger 11, Dutchware Zenon Hex, Hammock Gear Coyote, are all vey similar tarps of this example, and fairly inexpensive. I am sure there are several other cottage vendors that I have overlooked that have similar offerings as well.
    Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    Looking for something that will be easy to set up and adjust as well as something that won't break the bank.
    In addition to what's already been mentioned, which are excellent suggestions (especially the Kelty Noah), I'll go the budget route first and suggest the Hennessy Hex tarp (which they call a rainfly):
    https://hennessyhammock.com/products...-70d-polyester

It's durable and comes with all lines already attached, nice little pockets on the tarp for the tie outs, and a stuff sack. It's not the lightest option and it looks like they've recently gone up on the price a little bit, making it slightly less competitive in my opinion. Still, it's a good basic tarp that should last years. Mine has.

If you want to shave weight and spend a few bucks more, I'm pretty satisfied with my Quest from Hammockgear. It's the 12-foot version, and they have an 11-foot ridge line as well:
    https://www.hammockgear.com/the-quest/

I also have a Jacks R Better 11 x 10 foot rectangular tarp. I like it for the number of extra tie out points which lend themselves to creative pitches. It's primarily for my wife and I haven't had much experience with it. It's the most expensive in my short list.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/jrb-11-x-10-tarp/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    If you are hanging both under the same tarp with a spreader bar the hex option isn't going to be a great option. I'll vote the 12x12 Noah also. REI has their own version also. There are a bunch of inexpensive Chinese tarps onnamazon also. Look for at least an 11x10 rectangle. With my son I have hung under a Noah, an 11x10, and tried an 11' hex. The Noah has best coverage. The 11x10 worked, but was tight. The hex had my head end exposed where the spreader bar pushed the hammock out from under the tarp.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    If you are hanging both under the same tarp with a spreader bar the hex option isn't going to be a great option. I'll vote the 12x12 Noah also. REI has their own version also. There are a bunch of inexpensive Chinese tarps onnamazon also. Look for at least an 11x10 rectangle. With my son I have hung under a Noah, an 11x10, and tried an 11' hex. The Noah has best coverage. The 11x10 worked, but was tight. The hex had my head end exposed where the spreader bar pushed the hammock out from under the tarp.
    Long term I want the Winter Haven to cover both of us, but for the 3 season tarps, I was not looking for one big enough to share, although that would not be a bad thing.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post

If you want to shave weight and spend a few bucks more, I'm pretty satisfied with my Quest from Hammockgear. It's the 12-foot version, and they have an 11-foot ridge line as well:
    https://www.hammockgear.com/the-quest/
    Seems like a very solid option, unfortunately, neither of those colors appeals to my daughter. She is at the picky age. Will they do custom colors?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    Seems like a very solid option, unfortunately, neither of those colors appeals to my daughter. She is at the picky age. Will they do custom colors?
    For $110 the Dutchware Xenon Hex is available in purple or Moroccan blue.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/xe...rp/#size-color

Or those same fabrics could be ordered for the aforementioned Simplicity Asym or the Trail Haven from SLD. The Asym would be $60 in blue or $65 in purple. The Trail Haven has a wider cost variety depending on options, but would be priced higher than the Dutchware Xenon Hex.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've been really happy with my Dutchware wide asym tarp. If you can sew, you can buy the materials and make one yourself for less than $50. It would be massive over your daughter's 8 foot micro lair, and it does a good job covering my 11 foot trail lair. I'm assuming that you wouldn't be going camping with your daughter in crazy downpours with high winds, so this asym tarp should be plenty -- It'll also continue be a good option for you later on if you wanted to go solo. Simply Light Designs also makes an asym tarp that you could request in any color or width.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wi...on-wide-fabric
    https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...m-hammock-tarp

I'll also give a nod to the hennessy hex rainfly. That's a pretty good tarp for the money - I've seen them on eBay for around $50 sometimes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast