Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tarp Selection

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    Very nice. The Penny Pincher looks like a great choice. Hopefully, I can grab one on two while they are still on sale.

Thank you, everyone, for all the feedback. I appreciate it so much.
    Don't worry about the "sale." That's their everyday pricing, despite the way it's shown on their site.

My winter tarp is a UGQ and it's as close as you'd come to flawless. Check out this thread if you need any further convincing.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ER-Tarp-Series

Some of the early posts in the thread mention the limited options that were initially offered, but they later opened that up for a range of colors, as well as add-ons like the panel pulls, if you want them.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Would one seam sealing kit provide enough to seal two tarps if I am just doing the ridgelines? I assume it would.

Also looking down the road is a continuous ridgeline universal? Such that I could use the same CRL with the 13' Winter Haven as the 11" Hanger?

Images
    Honestly, I'm not sure about sealing 2 tarp RL's with 1 sealer kit. In the description of that item as sold separately, it says it's enough for 1 tarp ridgeline and 4 panel pulls.
    https://ugqoutdoor.com/product/acces...m-sealing-kit/

Paul @ UGQ is prompt with responses to questions, so you could ask him what he thinks. From the photo in the link, you can also see what product they provide, which is available at any auto-parts store. I expect you could go to a parts store and buy 2 tubes for approximately the same cost as buying 1 from UGQ.

As to the ridgelines, yes they are universal and could be used with any tarp. The main constraint with a continuous ridgeline is the distance between trees and the diameter of the trees. I made a 40' ridgeline because I've run into situations where 30' isn't long enough for larger trees and/or greater span.

Come to think of it, though... the CRL kit with toggles may not be 100% universal. If a tarp had Beastee D-rings for the ridgeline connection points (and Jared's tarps do), I'm not sure if the toggle could fit through the hole in the Beastee D-ring. In that case, you would be better off with the microbiner option in the CRL kit.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 01-07-2019 at 12:52.

Images
    Some people on the forum here advocate diluting the sealant with mineral spirits (I've not done this, but I think you could search and find the details for what I'm referring to). By diluting the contents of the tube, I have little doubt it would be enough for 2 tarp ridgelines.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Bonded Wide Winter
    Insulation
    SheltoweeUQ/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Haven'tSettledYet
    For the money, I've been very happy with my Chill Gorilla Fortress tarp purchased on Amazon. Shown here on a DIY tensahedron stand w/ Dutchware pole mod kit.
    Gooseberry1.jpg
    Enjoying my fall into the rabbit hole...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I am going a different direction here... Go DIY.

Making it yourself is a ton of fun.. you can make it the size you want, though I agree with the other comments to go larger. And other than dealing with yards of fabric, few projects are easier than a tarp with all it's straight seams.. nothing special.

You can either buy a kit complete with all the grosgrain and hardware or source it all yourself (all you need are some D-Rings, grosgrain and fabric). The kits from RBTR are great and you have a handful of color choices. Dutch has the Asym kits as well. Or browse the color choices for fabric and have the world of options. You can sew a simple hex tarp in a weekend.

Few things beat stepping back from your gear and saying... yep..I made that.

When you go for the large winter tarp, you can keep these as your warm weather tarps...

Just a thought.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DD 3.5 x 3.5 Tarp
    Insulation
    HG Economy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie-sling
    Have you looked at DD hammock tarps? They are really versatile and are a reasonable price. That's what I'm planning on getting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123